I Give Up!

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm done attempting 100% wet food. My cat will not eat enough to sustain himself... :( I've tried now for about 6 months and I'm not getting anywhere. Ever since I got him (2.5 years ago) he has always been a bit thin.... trying to eat all wet is just making him lose more weight.
I will be doing a 50/50 split. He'll get to snack on dry for the day and then I will remove it at about 3pm and feed a can of wet at about 8.
Question about Evo dry. I just switched my dog from Acana to Evo red meat.... she is doing EXCELLENT on it. I heard there was a claim that grain free foods can lead to urinary issues in cats, Is that conjecture or is there any truth to it?
P.S. whoever said that wet doesn't cause oral issues any more then kibble is WRONG! My cat has had THE WORST breath since starting on just wet, he also has more plaque build up. When he was on a wet/kibble mix his breath wasn't at all bad and his teeth didnt have nearly as much plaque.... just goes to show how every cat is an individual.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...My cat has had THE WORST breath since starting on just wet, he also has more plaque build up. When he was on a wet/kibble mix his breath wasn't at all bad and his teeth didnt have nearly as much plaque.... just goes to show how every cat is an individual.
Well, yes, they're all individuals.......but, wet or dry or, EVEN raw, they all benefit from a little extra help.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/pet-owners/cat-teeth

An extended period of patience and stick-to-it-ive-ness...a small investment which will pay off bountifully on many fronts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I definitely need to brave brushing his teeth! He HATES it! I have tried... I think I'll try it again. Thanks though :D

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THE "trick" to this is NOT to expect to get to the actual brushing for weeks and weeks.....the steps to that are teeny-weeny. itsy-bitsy, incremental desensitizing movements toward that point. Most cats "love" scratching/rubbing around the chin/sides of the mouth, so start there with your fingers. Then introduce the brush, just laying it out nearby. Then, replace the finger with the brush.....etc. etc.

I find that this same slow process works with just about anything I need to do with my cats. One of them absolutely hated being "brushed" (I use a comb). It took weeks. most of that time I was simply rubbing him with the handle and the frame of the comb. It was ages before I could begin to move the comb through the hair. Now, he comes running just for the experience.

Do watch at least the introductory part of that video series...

Now, I know all this wasn't answering your original question directly...but, it will certainly solve some of the problem.

To speak directly to the main issue, my trick to encourage consumption of the wet is to leave the wet available and put out only a very small portion of dry - and, to do so regularly. Mine quickly learned not to expect to see any more dry for many hours and so they turned their attention to the alternative. You can't flinch nor give in on that though....if you do, you've lost the battle! Be strong, ignore the cries and walk away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much wet is he eating? Most neutered indoor adult cats only need about 5-6 ounces a day. And also keep in mind that we're used to seeing fat cats and we tend to think a cat of healthy weight is too skinny.

But some dry EVO isn't going to hurt. The problems associated with a grain-free diet are generally those linked to an all-dry diet, so as long as he's getting mostly wet food he should be fine.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm done attempting 100% wet food. My cat will not eat enough to sustain himself... :( I've tried now for about 6 months and I'm not getting anywhere. Ever since I got him (2.5 years ago) he has always been a bit thin.... trying to eat all wet is just making him lose more weight.
I will be doing a 50/50 split. He'll get to snack on dry for the day and then I will remove it at about 3pm and feed a can of wet at about 8.
Question about Evo dry. I just switched my dog from Acana to Evo red meat.... she is doing EXCELLENT on it. I heard there was a claim that grain free foods can lead to urinary issues in cats, Is that conjecture or is there any truth to it?
P.S. whoever said that wet doesn't cause oral issues any more then kibble is WRONG! My cat has had THE WORST breath since starting on just wet, he also has more plaque build up. When he was on a wet/kibble mix his breath wasn't at all bad and his teeth didnt have nearly as much plaque.... just goes to show how every cat is an individual.
Is it possible to do a 75% wet and 25% kibble diet? It would be much easier on his tummy that way. For the dry, try EVO (high in fat and protein, will help him put some weight on), Nature's Variety or Wellness. These are the top three dry cat foods out there, as far as I know, and are all grain-free and do not contain byproducts. What brand of wet food are you feeding him? He may not like the same brand or flavors all the time...so maybe try a rotation feeding. The brands I would suggest are Weruva (the best cat food out there IMO), Nature's Variety 95%, EVO, Wellness, and Merrick's. Maybe a variety of flavors and brands will keep him more interested in his wet food.

Definitely start brushing the teeth! Also, I believe Tropiclean has a oral gel that you just squirt into the kitty's mouth (they HATE the taste, I know from experience, :lol3:) and it cleans their teeth. Soo much easier than brushing.

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much wet is he eating? Most neutered indoor adult cats only need about 5-6 ounces a day. And also keep in mind that we're used to seeing fat cats and we tend to think a cat of healthy weight is too skinny.
But some dry EVO isn't going to hurt. The problems associated with a grain-free diet are generally those linked to an all-dry diet, so as long as he's getting mostly wet food he should be fine.
He gets about 3 ounces of wet food per day. Just a side note- he is only about 8 pounds, a smallish sized cat.
I'm very fussy about my pets weight. They are always at a healthy weight and I don't find fat cats (or dogs) in the least bit cute. I've always had fit pets...
I'm still in the midst of trying (despite saying ill give up) but I do find a cats fussiness very annoying. Especially when I have a dog that will eat absolutely ANYTHING (right now she's on Evo Red Meat)... I'm just used to dogs...

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He gets about 3 ounces of wet food per day. Just a side note- he is only about 8 pounds, a smallish sized cat.
I'm very fussy about my pets weight. They are always at a healthy weight and I don't find fat cats (or dogs) in the least bit cute. I've always had fit pets...
I'm still in the midst of trying (despite saying ill give up) but I do find a cats fussiness very annoying. Especially when I have a dog that will eat absolutely ANYTHING (right now she's on Evo Red Meat)... I'm just used to dogs...
Ideally a larger % of wet would be better but you already know that.  On the 50/50 diet he should be fine if he's getting enough moisture into his diet.  If he's drinking plenty of water he should be fine. 

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ideally a larger % of wet would be better but you already know that.  On the 50/50 diet he should be fine if he's getting enough moisture into his diet.  If he's drinking plenty of water he should be fine. 
Well I'll just keep trying to find brands that he likes. I know he prefers the pâtés. He's not much for the gravy laden foods which is a good thing! I'll keep trying with him lol!

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been throwing away wet cat food left and right- high quality (Evo, Wellness, Holistic Select, etc) and low quality (Whiskas, Friskies and Fancy Feast). Im tired of it. He is a pound cat so I think that is why he will only eat dry food consistently. I will just have to save up for the uti bill and pray that he won't get too sick from a primarily kibble diet.
I will however look into Tiki cat food. I have access to it. Might even try Ziwipeak... If it doesn't work out I can at least use it for a treat for my dog.
Needless to say I have plenty to donate to our local SPCA!
Thanks guys for the help but I have thrown in the towel... lol! He will be eating kibble. Flame away!

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, okay. If he will be eating kibble, there are certainly many different options that are healthier too! You can check out EVO (I know Cat Person uses this successfully for her domestic kitties and hybrids) and Wellness. Also, Nature's Variety has a great kibble! Just try to pick up the healthier, lower carb kibbles and supply him with a LOT of water. Make sure he is drinking and you should be able to prevent a UTI and dehydration. :nod:

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, okay. If he will be eating kibble, there are certainly many different options that are healthier too! You can check out EVO (I know Cat Person uses this successfully for her domestic kitties and hybrids) and Wellness. Also, Nature's Variety has a great kibble! Just try to pick up the healthier, lower carb kibbles and supply him with a LOT of water. Make sure he is drinking and you should be able to prevent a UTI and dehydration. :nod:
When he eats dry he drinks a LOT. More then my dog. I will certainly try dry Evo and possibly Wellness Core into a rotation!
Thanks everyone for trying to help me. Stubborn old man cat-- arg!

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, how old is he? I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread before. As they say, it is hard to teach an old dog (or cat, in this situation :lol3:) new tricks! Still, great that you are feeding him higher quality foods! :wavey:

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, how old is he? I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread before. As they say, it is hard to teach an old dog (or cat, in this situation :lol3:) new tricks! Still, great that you are feeding him higher quality foods! :wavey:
Well he was brought into the SPCA as a stray. My vets (I have 3 lol) have come up with the number 7-10 years old. He has some gum recession but his eyes are nice and clear/bright so they say that he is doing very well but he would be considered a senior. He was in the pound for goodness knows how long and in the pound he ate dry kibble. I think this is why I'm having such difficulty!
Yes I will provide him with the best that I possibly can. I appreciate your support and not flaming me for not giving my cat the "species appropriate diet". Believe me I TRIED. Not for short term either, I've been trying to get him onto wet since I got him (2.5 years ago) and while he's eaten a bit of certain brands, he will eventually turn his nose up. Usually the second or third attempt at putting down wet he will shun it.
I have had the best luck with Fancy Feast. He has now shunned that brand as well but I will keep trying.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bluebo, just a thought, that might help you a bit.... It did help me....
I know this is a frustrating situation.... I do.... I also know how important wet is..... I also know that you don't want to toss all that $$$ in the trash....

So, here is something you might give it a try.....

Freezing the wet food :nod:

Get the cans that he likes and freeze them into ice cube trays. Don't make huge cubes, since he doesn't seem to eat a lot of it anyways. Put it into the freezer until it is solid, but don't leave it there for too long. Toss it into a freezer safe ziplock bag - Label them accordingly.

Make a bunch of different ones - Say EVO, Fancy Feast, Wellness, Whatever- just a bunch of flavors he likes.

Then just rotate flavors - each meal you give him one cube (you can defrost in a ziplock bag under hot water until it's warm) so he never gets bored.

You can also try sprinkling it with Fortiflora or crumbled freeze dry chicken......

But by freezing the canned, you will stop wasting money, he will never be bored, and will continue eating wet, even if a little bit.... It all adds up....

Hope this helps, it sure helped me... This way you cal also buy the bigger cans, which are WAY cheaper :nod: :wavey:

Last edited:

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bluebo, just a thought, that might help you a bit.... It did help me....
I know this is a frustrating situation.... I do.... I also know how important wet is..... I also know that you don't want to toss all that $$$ in the trash....
So, here is something you might give it a try.....
Freezing the wet food :nod:
Get the cans that he likes and freeze them into ice cube trays. Don't make huge cubes, since he doesn't seem to eat a lot of it anyways. Put it into the freezer until it is solid, but don't leave it there for too long. Toss it into a freezer safe ziplock bag - Label them accordingly.
Make a bunch of different ones - Say EVO, Fancy Feast, Wellness, Whatever- just a bunch of flavors he likes.
Then just rotate flavors - each meal you give him one cube (you can defrost in a ziplock bag under hot water until it's warm) so he never gets bored.
You can also try sprinkling it with Fortiflora or crumbled freeze dry chicken......
But by freezing the canned, you will stop wasting money, he will never be bored, and will continue eating wet, even if a little bit.... It all adds up....
Hope this helps, it sure helped me... This way you cal also buy the bigger cans, which are WAY cheaper :nod: :wavey:
I have tried almost every way to feed this cat wet but I haven't tried the frozen idea yet. I might try it! Thank you for the suggestion...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried almost every way to feed this cat wet but I haven't tried the frozen idea yet. I might try it! Thank you for the suggestion...
Yeah! I find food in the fridge doesn't stay as fresh, and my cats never liked it.... Frozen, however, it is always fresh and they never had a problem. It also prevents you from tossing money on the trash, which is a big plus, of course.
Hope this helps a little.....

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah! I find food in the fridge doesn't stay as fresh, and my cats never liked it.... Frozen, however, it is always fresh and they never had a problem. It also prevents you from tossing money on the trash, which is a big plus, of course.
Hope this helps a little.....
Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out and see if it works!