I don't know far along Diamond is...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably they got some from momma yes - its why weighting every day is so good, you dont need to guess, you know.

6g a day is minimum, for the convalescents whom were in crisis shortly before, for the very minuscule (=very low birth weight)  - but I have seen examples of very minor ones whom added 15 grammes a day..

So normally we hope for 10+ a day,  gladely even more.
Fantastic. Thanks heaps hun xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D diamond2016

Can you weigh them again and post the weights please?

The only way to know what they are getting is by weight gain or loss, or by the kittens becoming lethargic and starting to fade.

Newborn kittens do not normally lose weight. They begin gaining immediately. They nurse from mom every 1-2 hours. Initially they get colostrum, then milk.

Any and all supplementing is good, as your kittens were born underweight.

Most vets would show how to supplement if tiny kittens were brought in.

Are you using a syringe with a nipple on it now?

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
D diamond2016

Can you weigh them again and post the weights please?

The only way to know what they are getting is by weight gain or loss, or by the kittens becoming lethargic and starting to fade.

Newborn kittens do not normally lose weight. They begin gaining immediately. They nurse from mom every 1-2 hours. Initially they get colostrum, then milk.

Any and all supplementing is good, as your kittens were born underweight.

Most vets would show how to supplement if tiny kittens were brought in.

Are you using a syringe with a nipple on it now?
They are nursing at the moment so I won't disturb them yet. Since I've supplemented them, diamond has relaxed a little bit and is leaving them now for a little longer than just to eat and drink. It's obvious that it's working!
I'm using a bottle and teat cos the syringe just wasn't working with the teat. Ivevfed them 3 times now. Feeding every 2 hours clashes with when mum is feeding. Should I feed them before or after they feed from mum?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let them nurse, then you top them off. Glad the supplementing with the nipple is going better. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning. I'm feeling a heap more positive today!!

#1 119g (up 15g)
#2 91g (up 8g)
#3 95g (up 14g)
#4 117g (up 11g)
#5 96g (up 10g)

Obviously, #2 still needs tlc, but do I still supplement the others?

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At 2am, diamond moved 2 of the kittens to under the spare bed. So I moved the box into that room and I put them back in there. That room is joined to the bathroom where the kitty litter is so I locked her in that area with them. She kept the kittens in the box all night. But boy, she didn't like being locked away. I let her out this morning for a bit but should I keep her locked in there and let her out occasionally? My friend thinks she has separation anxiety and may neglect the kittens so she can be near me... I have no idea if this is even possible

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness for the gains! I was very concerned.

Yes, continue supplementing all of them for now, until a) they get bigger and b) we see a pattern of continually positive gains.

Nice job though! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

You may want to close her in at night while you sleep for now, until the babies are bigger. Is her food and water in the bathroom too?

During the day you can allow her to come and go. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Night time weigh ins...

#1 126 (7g up)
#2 97 (6g up)
#3 106 (11g up)
#4 131 (14g up... Little piggy lol)
#5 105 (9g up)

It's only been 12 hours since I last weighed and I've only supplemented #2 once cos I've been out all day. I'm going to top him up again after he feeds from mum. I'm pretty impressed. What do you guys think?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very good for a 12-hour gain! Let's hope it continues.

#2 definitely needs topping off, and 3 and 5 are still tiny, so be vigilant and continue supplementing to give them a boost. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. Sorry its been awhile since ive posted. Ive been quite unwell.

So kittens are 4 weeks old tomorrow and doing so fantastic. Playing heaps and growing well. My question is to when to start weaning? Is weetbix and kmr ok? Also when do i start litter training them? Thanks guys. Ill post pics soon

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may begin offering mushy wet food (pate mixed with KMR to make a gruel), anytime now. They may or may not be ready. Some kittens need 5-6 weeks, and others begin eating right away. Once they are eating solids they need to be put into the litter box before and after meals, which is 6 times a day (about every 4 hours). [emoji]128522[/emoji]

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may begin offering mushy wet food (pate mixed with KMR to make a gruel), anytime now. They may or may not be ready. Some kittens need 5-6 weeks, and others begin eating right away. Once they are eating solids they need to be put into the litter box before and after meals, which is 6 times a day (about every 4 hours). [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Thanks heaps hun

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again...

Diamond is moving one specific kitten to under my bed. she seems to be rejecting it. this kitten is the only one thats not weaned or using the kitty litter. what could be wrong?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to keep putting the kitten back with mom as often as possible. At only 5 weeks, this kitten is not yet ready to wean.

Try to get this kitten to eat mush from your finger. This may take time. If it won't, and mom does not feed it enough, you'll need to supplement with kitten formula and a bottle for 1-2 weeks, so it does not go downhill until it is ready to wean.

Please keep a careful eye on this situation!

Last edited:

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll need to keep putting the kitten back with mom as often as possible. At only 5 weeks, this kitten is not yet ready to wean.

Try to get this kitten to eat mush from your finger. This may take time. If it won't, and mom does not feed it enough, you'll need to supplement with kitten formula and a bottle for 1-2 weeks, so it does not go downhill until it is ready to wean.

Please keep a careful eye on this situation!
Thank you for replying. I ended up separating mum and this one kitten and she fed him for a good hour. HE is the same weight (roughly) as the others so he isnt losing, i just think he isnt ready to take the food. Good news is she didn't move him last night [emoji]128512[/emoji]