I don't know far along Diamond is...

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. So Diamond is 11 months old and the cheeky bugger got out a while ago, and TaDa.. She's pregnant. She's not long been a part of my family and hasn't had any vaccines, so I'm really worried about that. She was attacked (raped) by my neighbors tomcat which resulted in her having a massive laceration on the back of her neck and when I took her to the vet, she was given a heap of antibiotics. But I'm thinking this might have been when she conceived. Would the anti's harm the kittens in any way? I'm not sure when she's going to give birth cos I didn't take notice of when she was attacked but I would estimate it for around 8-9 weeks ago. I'll post some pics of her today and I'm wondering if anyone can tell if she's getting close? Also, I have 4 children and another cat as well as a dog... How can I make sure Diamond is comfortable and that she's not going to birth in some extremely inappropriate place? I'm kind of freaking out about my dog. Him and Diamond are extremely close. I'm concerned he'll want to help when she labours and after the kittens are born.
Thanks in advance xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
D diamond2016

Welcome to TCS! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

The best thing to do is to make a nest for her in a private, quiet place such as your bedroom, where she can feel safe with her babies away from the traffic in the home. And where the door can be closed. She'll need her food, water, and litter nearby as well.

If she and the dog are good pals, she may not mind the dog being around, but I would play that by ear as things progress.

Here are some articles to help you prepare since she is so close to giving birth.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-pregnancy

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-do-i-know-when-my-cat-will-give-birth

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/pregnant-cat-what-to-prepare-for-the-birth

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/help-my-cat-is-having-kittens

Please use this thread for all your questions! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the articles. I took her to the vet and they are saying within 5 days. I decided to not use the money I have saved for an X-ray to see how many kittens there are and instead use that money for after care for the vet if I need to. I'd rather have a just in case slush fund then not have one if I'm desperate for help afterwards. She really is being treated like a queen, and she's lapping it all up. Although it's all exciting, I'm concerned about getting the kittens homes. But I know after being a dog fosterer how important good homes are so I'll be doing my absolute best.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You don't need an x-ray since she's doing well. You can count the kittens when she has them soon!

They need to stay with mom for at least 10-12 weeks, so you'll have plenty of time to find homes.

Do get kitten formula though. You'll need it! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Diamond hates the kitten replacement milk. Is it OK to mix it with her food? It's the only way she'll have it lol.
Today's been a strange one. She woke up like she had bundles of energy and played with my older cat, running around and pouncing. It was great to see her back to herself. But I think she's exhausted cos since then she's barely moved. Used the tray and ate, but that's it. She's usually super affectionate and constantly wants to be patted by me but today she doesn't want to know me [emoji]128543[/emoji].

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's all normal pregnant cat moodiness, triggered by hormones. Nothing to worry about!

She may like the KMR better after she has the kittens. You can mix it with her wet food.

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a problem... My other cat, Lisa, has decided to start attacking Diamond. At first I thought it was playing but then Lisa deliberately went for Diamond's tummy and nipples [emoji]128543[/emoji].

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I keep them separated all the time or just when Lisa starts "playing"? They seem fine now. Back to ignoring each other lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You know best. If Lisa continues to attack, yes. If it isn't happening all the time, use your judgement. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ate you able to help me find somewhere to desex Diamond when it's safe for her to be spayed? I'm in Hastings, Victoria, Australia

diamond2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK... Diamond is in labour. She wants to leave the box I've set up for her but I can't risk her having the kittens on the carpet somewhere because my landlord will kill me. Can I keep nudging her back? She keeps having contractions but she doesn't seem to be doing anything. Luckily it's just me and one of my daughters home so she picked a great night to give birth

mina001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to stay calm. Cats pick up on your instincts. I'm not an expert, it's what I've read on here. She obviously wants you with her. My cat had kittens 3 weeks ago and wanted me there with her throughout her labour. I'm sure an advisor will be along soon to guide you, they are fab.

queenmargarita

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most say this stage can last up to 24 hours unless she is having full on contractions.
Mind you my queen didn't show any obvious signs of labor. She just let out a scream and the first was there. No pacing, no panting, no shaking, nothing...all five just popped out within an 8 hour period! They are about a week old now.

Looking forward to hear what happens for you! And to seeing the kittens. Your kitty is beautiful!

Last edited: