I did the wrong thing, but for the right reason.

catzeye21138

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I think you did the right thing. I don't understand how people can throw a senior cat outside in the freezing cold.
I don't understand how people can thrown ANY cat outside in the freezing cold!

And I think that you did the right thing. What I think that you should do now is call your neighbors telling them that you have the cat and explain to them why they should not put their cat outside in freezing weather. =/ That just my opinion though.

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad you took this poor Joey inside. People like his owner really piss me off. You shouldn't have animals if you can't care for them properly. Whats to say if you let him out and he went home that the next time she tosses him out would be his last time. You never know, especially with him being an elderly cat. I wouldn't want to take that chance with it being that cold. Mean bugger or not, he doesn't deserve that. All he needed was a little warmth love and attention and he has come around already!

I know if I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing. Hopefully he will get into a home where he can live out the rest of his years in peace with a loving family who keeps him warm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news for Joey.
My In-laws fell in love with him and has found a new home with them.
Their Son told Mason that he'd drop off all of Joey's Vet records to my In-laws tomorrow.

I was actually kind of sad to see the crabby all guy go, but at least I know he'll never be cold, hunger or outside again.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an awesome ending!!! Senior Joey, out of the cold and cared for during his twilight years.

You are awesome for taking him in, handling the situation, and ultimately giving him a warm and loving him - something every cat deserves, but so many lack.

God bless you.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats so wonderful that joey is going to live with ur inlaws, this was such a happy ending
You did the right thing and u handled the situation wonderfully
I am just so happy that senior Joey has a great home now, and will never be hungry or cold

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I just read in an earlier post of yours that you discovered that Joey is declawed!!! and outdoors in such cold weather!!! I just can't believe it...that is awful!

So glad you were determined to do right by the ol' guy. What a happy ending indeed!

I hope you post up some pics of Joey, kinda like to see what the old fella looks like!

Good work sweets...
Hilda >^..^<

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Good news for Joey.
My In-laws fell in love with him and has found a new home with them.
Their Son told Mason that he'd drop off all of Joey's Vet records to my In-laws tomorrow.

I was actually kind of sad to see the crabby all guy go, but at least I know he'll never be cold, hunger or outside again.
That is great news, I am so happy that Joey has found a forever home where he will never be hungry or cold again.

Hugs coming from Mississippi for you for doing such a good thing. You are a great person.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is really good news.

i was at my father house saturday and there is cat that come and goes every day on this way to the woods behind my fathers house,. He or she has been doing this for years. but saturday it was hiding from the wind and was under the dryer vent
i took some can catfood and set it out for him, but as soon as he saw me he ran away. since my father is out of town for the month, i kinda left the door open to his barn with the food next to it. i checked , but nothign has eaten the food. and no tracks going inside. just tracks heading to and from the woods. i dont know if he has a warm home to go back to or not. but i still worried about him with the cold this bad.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

thats so wonderful that joey is going to live with ur inlaws, this was such a happy ending
You did the right thing and u handled the situation wonderfully
I am just so happy that senior Joey has a great home now, and will never be hungry or cold
so glad to hear it

As far as I'm concerned, you did the right thing... and I"ll go further - (not speaking about your case but generally) - to me, the WRONG thing would be to give an animal back to people who neglect or abuse it. I really don't give a damn if it's illegal to take someone's cat, I really don't. Not if they're leaving it out in freezing weather/not feeding it, not caring about it. I'll take that cat and smile about it at night, because if you can't treat an animal right, you don't deserve to have one. And I know most people grow up believing the law is always right, but I'm sorry, sometimes the law is irrelevant. I live by my own internal moral code, not one laid out in any police handbook... and that code says if you see an animal suffering you do something. If doing something means taking the cat and shrugging your shoulders when the owners ask if you've seen it- well that's what it means.

Just my two cents

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for you kind words, but I know that all of you would have done the same thing.
I just kept thinking how wrong it was to 'steal' their cat, topped with the fact that my Husband is a Policeman.
When he said to me "Just tell me you think that cat is stray"...I knew he wasn't to worried about the right or wrong of it.

I'm just glad that Mason was able to talk to their Son and that his Father gave the okay for Joey to find a new home.

I talked to my In-laws already this morning.
My FIL gave a Joey a bath last night...something I wouldn't have attempted, but he said Joey behaved wonderfully.
The Vet opens at 9 and they are going to call and make an appointment to have Joey checked over...even though Tom said he takes him to the Vet every year they still want to be on the safe side.

I'm bad about pictures, I haven't even posted pictures of my own fur babies yet and I've been here since Oct or Nov.
I promise I'll get on that and also get a few of Joey while I'm at it.

I'll let everyone know what the Vet has to say.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't "steal" the cat. You RESCUED the cat. Good for you. By the way, us "catnappers" have to stick together, I'm one too.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't stop giggling over a cat being named "Joey." It's so darn cute!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

You didn't "steal" the cat. You RESCUED the cat. Good for you. By the way, us "catnappers" have to stick together, I'm one too.
Somehow I had the feeling I wasn't the only "catnapper" here

Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

I can't stop giggling over a cat being named "Joey." It's so darn cute!
The name fits him so well.
My cousin always makes fun of me because all of our cats have always had people names...Our RB kitty was Maggie and the ones we have now are Gracie, Lizzie, Annabelle and Elliott...for some reason he finds the name Elliott extremely amusing...hey, I looked at him and he looked like an Elliott to me

So now for the update.
My MIL just called and the Vet said Joey is in great health despite his former "Mother" pitching him out whenever she felt like it.
Plus according to the records Tom gave my In-laws Joey was neutered at 6 months of age and that was in January of 1995 so that makes him 12 not 16 like his former "Mother" told me.
Gee I guess she really didn't pay much attention to him, she didn't even know how old he was and he was apparently born in their house!

So he's not a old as we thought he was, but still a 12 year old cat...or ANY cat for that matter...should not be thrown outside in the cold!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Somehow I had the feeling I wasn't the only "catnapper" here

The name fits him so well.
My cousin always makes fun of me because all of our cats have always had people names...Our RB kitty was Maggie and the ones we have now are Gracie, Lizzie, Annabelle and Elliott...for some reason he finds the name Elliott extremely amusing...hey, I looked at him and he looked like an Elliott to me

So now for the update.
My MIL just called and the Vet said Joey is in great health despite his former "Mother" pitching him out whenever she felt like it.
Plus according to the records Tom gave my In-laws Joey was neutered at 6 months of age and that was in January of 1995 so that makes him 12 not 16 like his former "Mother" told me.
Gee I guess she really didn't pay much attention to him, she didn't even know how old he was and he was apparently born in their house!

So he's not a old as we thought he was, but still a 12 year old cat...or ANY cat for that matter...should not be thrown outside in the cold!
Just caught up with this happy ending!! Thats wonderful your in lwas gave him such a loving home!!

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

YEAHHHHH for JOEY!!!!!!!! My oldest was saved from the Humane Society in Winnipeg. She was caught in a cat trap outside....but her pads say she was an indoor cat.....she was 8 or 9 then....she's now ummmm 16. She's old and grumpy but she is content...especially when the woodstove is in full rage and she's sprawled out soaking up the heat....

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that you found a great home for Joey!!!

I cannot understand why people wouldn't want their cats to be inside with them! In addition to how cruel it is to do that in the winter!