i am scared about my kittens eye

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she is the only one of like three kittens that has anything wrong with her. i have had many cats in my life and never seen this before... her eye is cloudy

it all started when one day i noticed right out of the blue that she was squinting one of her eyes at me

then i woke up the next morning an her eye was running some sort of thick mucous like discharge that looks like snot

she doesnt want me to clean her eye with these kitten wipes i got but doesnt mind a warm rag on it.

im scared i wont have enough to pay for a vet and im not even sure if she has conjunctivitis which was my first thought

what should i do? she seems to be opening her eye now and playing like normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ALSO i read that this type of thing is contagious... her mom and the other two kittens that have been around her dont have any of the same things going on with them

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give the Vet a call and see what they say.It sounds like she may have conjunctivitis Is it possible she scratched her eye?

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what is the usual cost of a vet visit? i emailed the vet that i have always gone to and my email got delayed

im scared...

im so scared i could cry

i dont want her to go blind or anything.... but im almost broke and it isnt my fault

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
see the thing aobut scrtachig her eye... thats what my boyfriend thinks

she doesnt really have the signs of conjunctivitis that i saw online last night
i looked at different pictures an such

conjunctivitis is upposed to be dryness

her eyes arent dry at all

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All Vets charge different fees. Ours for a office visit is only $12 and some others charge $20. I would call around and see what kind of prices you can get.
Of course it ISN'T your fault!!!! Try to stay calm.I'm saying lots of prayers.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conjunktivitis causing LOTS of eye boogers.In children, their eyes become matted shut during the night and their eyes run during the day with lots of eye boogers.The white part of their eyes is usually pink, thus the name pink eye.
Here is a site I found
http://www.stlukeseye.com/Conditions/Conjunctivitis.asp

I'll see if I can find one for pets for you.

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she only had boogers like two of the five days this has been going on now...now it just looks crusty an her eye looks cloudy not red

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

All Vets charge different fees. Ours for a office visit is only $12 and some others charge $20. I would call around and see what kind of prices you can get.
Of course it ISN'T your fault!!!! Try to stay calm.I'm saying lots of prayers.
thanks

not only am i stressed about this im strssed about everything else in the world too.. i can feel my heart racing

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call around and find a Vet to look at the kitten. it's better to be safe than sorry.Good luck

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call a vet, describe what you see, and if they feel they need to see the kitten, ask about a payment arrangement option if its going to be more than an office apt fee (which you can find out what that would be when you call).

Cloudy could mean a herpes virus conjunctivitis - best thing to do is to call your vet.

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im going to get up early an call around... i want to get her checked out asap

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep us updated and I hope it's something simple.
some Vets will work with you on payment.(I think it's best to call the Vet and get an opinion about what is going on with the kitty
)

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
here are some pics i tried to take to show you guys.. she wouldnt stay too still... she seems like she is scared i will try to wipe her eyes with those wipes i got at petsmart

here are many a different pic

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are calling a vet in the am..I can see how swollen the tissue is, and the discoloration you spoke of. Get some sleep! And keep us posted after you call a vet in the morning.

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay now dangit

the vet I usually go to is closed on the third saturday of every month.. Yay for me... ARghh

The one place I got said it was 40 dollars for a visit and 10-20 bucks for eye medicine. That seems a little high to me.

The other place opens at 9 which is in about 5 minutes...

Pinky and her eye look better today though... It is completely open and isnt runny and just looks a wee bit cloudy... I can tell she is looking out of it...

hmmfff

I got 4 hours of sleep

I wont be able to go back to sleep until I have called that other place

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes to you and your kitty!!! Let us know when you find out something

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my boyfriend is taking her to the vet monday it is 33 dollars just to have her looked at and the lady said 75-100 if they have to use that flourescin dye stuff or anything

i took a lot of piccies of her this morning but they all look blue tinted cause the lighting in my apartment sucks and she was on my new blue slipcover