I am officially old!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I sure hope my DD finds someone who will be there for her when she goes to college in Tennessee. I would feel better if there was someone there who would watch after her. Right now there is no one and she will be a stranger in a large city.
Where is she going to school?  Tennessee is a beautiful state! 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Haha, so he basically said he would  cycle them if they were married / far  
 Though I've known people that the distance not let that stop them from dating anyways 

I have always been amazed at how people just move cross country to go to school in the U.S. Although I'm sure it may be difficult, it's still considered "normal". Where I'm from (Tijuana) we don't have that, I still live with my parents because they were lucky and hardworking enough to get themselves a big plot of land and they don't mind at all as long as I pitch in and they don't seem to be in any rush for me to get out. I finished college a couple of years ago and have a full time job and take care of my food, clothes, living costs like outings and transportation (no rent though) and I'm also in charge of the pet's health (food, vet bills, collars, dishes, leashes, etc).

I'm always amazed at how different places can be, well, so different! I'm sure she'll do great once she's there and make a lot of friends once she's there. Plus.. you guys will always have phones to keep in contact! 

Sending good vibes your way 

Thanks! I know she will do fine. Some people move across the country; I'm thankful she will be just a few hours away. She is really good at making friends so that will be good.

The plus side is she will be in school near a popular vacation place, Gatlinburg, so we have already decided to spend some weekends there.

@Nebula  I will have her look into a program like that, maybe the college even has something similar that the kids can get involved with.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes it is beautiful.

She was accepted to University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The campus is gorgeous!
The plus side is she will be in school near a popular vacation place, Gatlinburg, so we have already decided to spend some weekends there.
Oh I love that area!  DH and I honeymooned and vacationed in Pigeon Forge.  For our honeymoon we rented a cabin.  It was gorgeous!  I have an acquaintance who lives just outside of Knoxville.  It seems like a good place to live.  DH has family in TN and we have some friends that live in different parts of the state too.  We talk about retiring there (in +25 years 
).

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh I love that area!  DH and I honeymooned and vacationed in Pigeon Forge.  For our honeymoon we rented a cabin.  It was gorgeous!  I have an acquaintance who lives just outside of Knoxville.  It seems like a good place to live.  DH has family in TN and we have some friends that live in different parts of the state too.  We talk about retiring there (in +25 years 
).
We went to visit the college in November and I loved it. I would like to be able to go and spend about a week just to sight see and visit Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, I've never been.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny! Hubby and I got engaged in Nashville, by the way.

So he made National Beta-- and was in Nashville this week! Today he made a twitter status, that he was looking for a Hailey from SC. He didn't think to get a last name... or any contact info... SOO... he is now asking everyone to share his status to locate her!!! To be 18 again lol.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So funny! Hubby and I got engaged in Nashville, by the way.

So he made National Beta-- and was in Nashville this week! Today he made a twitter status, that he was looking for a Hailey from SC. He didn't think to get a last name... or any contact info... SOO... he is now asking everyone to share his status to locate her!!! To be 18 again lol.
What will the Hannah's think?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What will the Hannah's think?
Poor hannahs!

As far as the program goes, it isn't anything major. Basically you just commit to have them over for dinner once or so a week, open your home to them,  be there if they need advice, etc.  And of course- let them come do laundry and just hang out. Invite them out with your family, etc. And of course support them in school- like we bought season passes to all his plays this coming semester. (he is a theater major). It would be things like, going to ball games- or hanging out.  We took him to pick out our fish, and he is going with me next week to get ,my student ID.

It's finding information for them, and just basically loving on them- providing a home away from home when they are at the college dorms,etc.  For us- our house is 15 minutes from his dorm,where his  parents actual house is an hour away. So we will be giving him a key at some point. He knows he can come by anytime to do laundry, hang out, nap, watch TV- use wifi- whatever. And we also told him, that no matter what happens if he gets in a situation, such as stuck somewhere drunk etc. To call- and day or night, we will pick him up etc no questions asked. (on the spot lol)-- Might ask questions later!

Last edited:

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It's finding information for them, and just basically loving on them- providing a home away from home when they are at the college dorms,etc.  For us- our house is 15 minutes from his dorm,where his  parents actual house is an hour away. So we will be giving him a key at some point. He knows he can come by anytime to do laundry, hang out, nap, watch TV- use wifi- whatever. And we also told him, that no matter what happens if he gets in a situation, such as stuck somewhere drunk etc. To call- and day or night, we will pick him up etc no questions asked. (on the spot lol)-- Might ask questions later!
Hahaha. I'm sure you will! 
 But he doesn't need to know that 

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hahaha. I'm sure you will! 
 But he doesn't need to know that 
Oh he knows we will ask questions later. I just want him safe, Dh and I care about him and want him safe and taken care of! We are cool... not his parents, so he knows he can be more open with us.

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oh he knows we will ask questions later. I just want him safe, Dh and I care about him and want him safe and taken care of! We are cool... not his parents, so he knows he can be more open with us.
I do the same with younger (by 6 years brother). I tell him to call and I will be there no questions asked. But I know, deep down, he know I'll be asking. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. 

We do hope they'll be safe and make no mistakes, but we know their personality... so we can only always be there for them! 

He seems to be having fun with the girls! My younger bro is either biding his time or very tight lipped about girls! Congratz on him opening up about that with you

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a really good program!  it can be an odd transition; that time of life.  

I'm still really glad I'm not in the dating phase of life. 
  Have you asked him if there is something about the letter H that he likes?  

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL

Well we have a new "kiddo" in our lives as of today. She is 14, her grandparents just got custody (her name is Brianna) and they asked DH and I to kind of take her under our wing. So she knows she has a safe place, etc.... we don't tell parents things etc.

I took her to lunch & movies today, was a great time! :)

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a sort of situation with the granddaughter of a friend of mine. She got custody of her and I've known the child most of her life. She and my oldest are the same age and went to school together.

She knew she could come to my house and talk to me about anything and I wouldn't' run off to tell her grandmother what she said. Her GM was very controlling and kept her on a short leash. She felt like she couldn't talk to her. I was always there for her to confide in. It really makes a difference in these children's lives knowing they have someone who will just listen and not judge.

You are doing such a wonderful thing for these kids. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She knew she could come to my house and talk to me about anything and I wouldn't' run off to tell her grandmother what she said. Her GM was very controlling and kept her on a short leash. She felt like she couldn't talk to her. I was always there for her to confide in. It really makes a difference in these children's lives knowing they have someone who will just listen and not judge.
My Mom always said she wanted me to have someone I could go talk to like that; someone that wasn't her.  My Mom and I are super close; but she understood that there comes a phase of life where you need someone who isn't Mom to confide in.  She had the lady next door who is still my Grandparent's neighbor.  I had my youth pastor and his wife.  

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My Mom always said she wanted me to have someone I could go talk to like that; someone that wasn't her.  My Mom and I are super close; but she understood that there comes a phase of life where you need someone who isn't Mom to confide in.  She had the lady next door who is still my Grandparent's neighbor.  I had my youth pastor and his wife.  
I think all kids and even some adults need someone they can talk to about stuff just to get it out and help to understand things. Knowing there is someone you can trust enough not to go blabbing it all over or running to tell your parents (or spouse) really helps.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think all kids and even some adults need someone they can talk to about stuff just to get it out and help to understand things. Knowing there is someone you can trust enough not to go blabbing it all over or running to tell your parents (or spouse) really helps.
That's very true! I have my couple of confidants that I can talk to. Have even from time to time ventured into a deep(ish) conversation with Luke.  Though I try to keep content appropriate, venting usually is my intent and then I'm fine.