I am going to meet "Shay"

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she's probably just overwhelmed. She will probably do better once she's with you! Here's hoping all goes well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Shay might just blossom at your home.
We have no doubt that she would blossom in our home. We've had fear submissive dogs turn around once we've built up their confidence. Our primary concern is actually her willingness to be playful with other dogs. Sam needs a playmate to romp with - Spike can't do it because of his hips. I don't want to take anything away from Spike, I think it would bring him some relief that he doesn't have to keep up with his brother.

I've consulted my friend, the dog listener, on this and she has witnessed this before. As she put it: "Ignoring is used by dogs if they are trying to establish leadership – as in they are the “alpha†& they set the rules especially by ignoring the bad behaviors. But they can also be in “freeze†mode where they do not feel that they can flee (flight mode) but they have not been pushed into fight mode. They will “freeze†& look like they are ignoring others." The dogs she has adopted that have responded in this way had very mixed results interacting with her other dogs.

So I'm about to call the foster mom and have a long talk with her about how Shay interacts with the other dogs in her care. If she is a loner, then we will simply look for a better fit with another dog. If she was just out of her element and there is a chance for interaction, then I'll ask that she bring her out to our home in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

What an incredible yard!!!! Gorgeous! I love the view of the pond (or is it a lake?) in back too. Amazing. You animals are very spoiled!
It's called a lake but it's only 5 acres in size so I would consider it more a very large pond. We don't own it, it belongs to the sub-division and we just happen to have a home on the lake side.

Yup, our critters are spoiled rotten!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually when I have foster dogs that react the way you are talking Shay acted I send pics of them in my house, with the other dogs, cats, people just to show you how they really are. I hope things work out with her. Black dogs are so hard to find homes for.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous!
good luck and I hope she works out for you and your family.