I am fed up with Eric's dog

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the walking. A dog that sized needs at least two 45 minute walks daily. AT LEAST.

This is a disturbing thread...

Cally

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Do you live in a house? Is there any way you can build some kind of enclosure outside for the dog to live in? That way while you are working on the training she doesn't harm anyone...I would be afraid to let her live inside like this.
I don't think you should re home the dog...I personally don't trust new owners with any animal of mine, and when I get an animal I feel obligated to care for it no matter what so I kind of don't believe in re homing in general...then again I don't have any kids either and I never plan to so that changes things a lot. I hope it doesn't come to that point though.
yes, lets banish the dog to the outdoors because she wasn't properly trained. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people think dogs should know better. A dog is a dog. She was chasing the cat, not trying to eat the baby. If you feel that she would not be adopted, then have her put to sleep. Don't put her out in the backyard and forget about her. I have 3 dogs, and 10 cats, but I am a dog person. I just have all the cats because fostering cats is easier than fostering dogs. At least the OP has the common sense to know that the dog wasn't inetntionally trying to harm the baby, and that its' her hubbies fault in the first place for providing no training.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emy4cats

Just an update on Comet. We have pretty much just started over training her and started crating her at night. Witch has helped A LOT and now I don't have to worry about her getting hurt on the baby gate trying to jump over it at night (witch has also stopped her waking me up at 3am) Eric saw how serious I am about this and is really stepping up to the plate. "Rules" are being enforced by both of us now so their is less confusion on what is ok and what is not. We have a long way to go, but we are off to a really good start. I only hope it keeps up this way...
This is great! The biggest problem with dog training is not sticking to it! Reinforcement will help 1000xs! And I do second the longer walks and more frequent walks. I will send you a PM btw!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im curious on an update too. I didnt really have anything to say before after reading this the first time. But I agree about the shepard protectiveness. I grew up with 2 shepards and a rottie and each of them all showed their own signs of protectiveness to certain members of the family. But still Comet needs to be trained and if your bf is willing to put forth the effort she can be made into a better trained dog. And also the walks and playtime outside is a good thing these types of dogs need a lot of mental stimulation and are quite destructive and have poor behavior if they dont get the mental stimulation they need...*Yes Im a fanatic of Victoria Stillwell and have watched her show Its Me or the Dog all the time*