How to stop kitty from LAUNCHING himself out of the litter box for fun?

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat plays around in the box and enjoys frequently launching himself out of the box and scattering litter everywhere.

I've tried different types of boxes

- low sides

- hooded

- top entry

- high side

Top entry seems to work okay, but my other cat won't use the box with the lid on so that's out of the question. At the moment, we have a top entry box without the lid on.

I could try the spiral ones, but there isn't enough room to put a large box like that in our townhouse.

At the moment, the box is "wedged" between a wall corner and a book shelf, but the problem isn't litter kicking, it's just him shooting out of the box like no tomorrow, not matter how high or low the sides are.

It's driving me nuts!!

noracatowner101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jet used to do the same thing! My friend suggested me to put a larger box inside the litter box (about 2-3 times its size) so when he jumps out the litter will fall into the big box. This works great! I used to vaccume his area like 3 times a day honestly, now I do it once a day or once every 2 days. Your cat's area will stay great, but if you do this , place a carpet underneath so the box won't budge when they jump out. It should be very easy for your cat to get in/ out of the box. 

Hope this helps :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If you can put a box within a box that's a good idea. I'm guessing there's no room for an additional box? If there is any, I'd try placing a top entry box there and another box for the other cat elsewhere in the house.