how to make cat play with you

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Granted it's only been a few days since I got him but I want him to play with me so he doesn't have so much energy at night / early morning. He's normally a super quiet cat but he's not allowed in my room since I made an agreement with my mom not to (she hates fur all over the bed and visits me often) . He has access to food because he's a slow eater.

I tried a wand toy, mice, catnip, boxes, but he rather wants me around him all the time. I'm the only one in the apartment so.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I think the trick is going to be just finding something he's interested in. Maybe a ball (always a hit in our house) or a laser pointer (my brother's cat is obsessed with them). I know a number of people here have cats that go crazy for Da Bird. If you're looking to distract him, maybe something that lights up or makes a sound would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I bought da bird and a refill. I did try a laser but he was like "I don't give a darn" lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
LOL. They make us work for it some times.

Does he react to catnip or honeysuckle at all? My eldest has a catnip banana that he loves.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Either I bought bad batches of cat nip or he doesn't like it. Man this is hard. I just spent 30 dollars on different toys so I have to find something he likes. I know he LOVES cardboard beds but he already has two.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat. Usually they don't take to catnip until they are several months old. One of my cats will only play with a piece of string if I dangle it above her head. Otherwise she looks at me as if I'm the biggest idiot ever.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's 4 but he was playful at the shelter so I'm just like ok part it must be environment change but still like all he does is sleep so he can bother me when I'm sleeping

Literally all day

Last edited:

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's a little stressed and needs you for comfort. Eventually he should get to know your routine and adjust to it. All of my cats took about a week or so to acclimate to their new home. There's a lot of changes for him, and cats get stressed with changes. He's adjusting to new surroundings, new feeding schedule, new food, new litter box, new person, new sounds, new smells, etc. He's overwhelmed. Maybe you should let him sleep with you so that he is near you more. Your his comfort right now.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His name was originally Craic (Irish word pronounced crack...) but I changed it to Roman. I hope he eventually adjusts. I also rarely catch him drinking from the water fountain either so I unplugged it and moved it away from the bathroom even though it has its distance. Maybe because the litter box was a foot or two behind him. Oops.

man I hope I don't have to return that fountain, I really liked that.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have our cat fountain on a timer. It is only on for half of an hour at a time. The cats like this since one of them will drink when the fountain is going and the other likes the fresh water, but doesn't want the water to be moving. 

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did you do that? With a regular timer? I saw him drink (I think anyway, I just see his butt when I'm on the computer lol) I think the change of location helped.

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should get something very precious to you - perhaps an important document or a fragile piece of housework or an ornament.  Just place the items on a fairly empty table.  You may even place your house keys on the table.  For more excitement  put a plate of food near the edge or a bowl of water.  Just leave them alone for awhile.  I can guarantee he will find them and they will all become his favorite toys.  

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what is this magic? i had NO idea things like this existed whoa

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what is this magic? i had NO idea things like this existed whoa
Me either! I was telling my fiance about the problem with the way our cats drink water and he was like, oh just buy a timer. I was completely wowed. Never knew these existed.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should get something very precious to you - perhaps an important document or a fragile piece of housework or an ornament.  Just place the items on a fairly empty table.  You may even place your house keys on the table.  For more excitement  put a plate of food near the edge or a bowl of water.  Just leave them alone for awhile.  I can guarantee he will find them and they will all become his favorite toys.  
Hahahahahahaha. That is true. Anything we don't want them to play with, they'll claim as their own.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omgggg I hope I find his fav toy cause my neighbours will complain They even complain because I flushed the toilet too much. Seriously.

Last edited:

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omgggg I hope I find his fav toy cause my neighbours will complain They even complain because I flushed the toilet too much. Seriously.
Sounds like you've got some pretty crabby neighbors. Is he calming down at all yet? Sounds to me like you're his favorite toy.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No but I ordered a radio, lavender oil and toys from petco. I don't want to ask the shelter for help because I bugged them enough.