How to know if my cat will have her kittens soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They seem to be latching fine. I spoke to soon. I got them all settled in a. Clean warm spot and she had another kitten. This one is only 68g. All are meowing and feisty. When should I supplement the first time? Should I start now or wait a few hours? I will keep a very close eye on them. Momma is doing very well with them. I was nervous because she is so very young,

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don't interfere if they are latched. However, weigh them again in 8 hours to see how they are doing. If they are crying from hunger or are lethargic, they need supplementing. Keep a close eye out for now.

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok ill watch them closely.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! I'm glad they are feisty since they are so small. Has mom eaten since having them? [emoji]128522[/emoji]

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of mine were quite small too. They're on day 4 now and have almost doubled their weight. I have not supplemented any of them, but I did go in every 2 hours the first two days to ensure they were all nursing well and was prepared to step in if needed. Congrats on the little ones!

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds good! I'm glad they are feisty since they are so small. Has mom eaten since having them? [emoji]128522[/emoji]
No she hasn't eaten yet. I ran out to the store and I'm going to attempt to get her to eat again when I get back.
All of mine were quite small too. They're on day 4 now and have almost doubled their weight. I have not supplemented any of them, but I did go in every 2 hours the first two days to ensure they were all nursing well and was prepared to step in if needed. Congrats on the little ones!
Thank you! That's reassuring. Rosie has 6 kittens and hers weren't huge but bigger than most of these little ones. I cant believe she had all girls!

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't want to step in unless I really needed to. I wouldn't let a baby starve, but I wanted to try it the way I did first.

Baby A: born @ 79g now 141g
Baby B: born @ 76g now 140g
Baby C: born @ 87g now 156g
Baby D: born @ 80g now 145g

Their first weights were taken after a few hours, I let them eat first. So they may have weighed less. But you get the idea. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you so much!
Here are the updated weights after 12hrs.
80-83g
75-79g
70-73g
65-69g

All have been suckling all day. None have been crying like they are hungry so I will continue to watch them closely.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly! If they gain the same amount in the next 12 hours that they gained in the first 12, then they are doing well!

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Updated weights
83g-88g
79g-82g
73g-77g
69-74g
All seem to be doing well. Momma is eating and drinking well with only a little bloody discharge. When Rosie had her kittens I had asked why I never saw any poop and everyone said that meant she was doing her job. With bandits kittens though, they have runny yellow poop on their bottoms and tails. Is this normal that she isn't cleaning them? And is the yellow poop normal? I still haven't seen any poop on rosies kittens so I have no clue lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, if its 12h raise, its decent enough, if its 24hours raise, its lowish.

The poop has usually toothpaste consistency, so their is somewhat diarreish.  This is perhaps why mom dont clear them good enough.  She cant, or she doesnt care.

Next question is what to do with diarreish kittens...   Whatever it is, its apparently the same on all of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you clean the kittens for her with a warm, damp cloth? If the runny yellow poop persists, they will need treatment for it - likely an antibiotic. If you still see it tomorrow, I'd phone the vet. Runny yellow poop indicates possible infection. Could be giardia.

She may not have full milk in yet. If the gains do not increase to 6-10 grams, I think you might want to supplement very soon.

Last edited:

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, those are the 12 hrs gains since compared to the first 12 hrs. I should have put the birth weight first.
Birth. 24 hrs
80g 88g
75g. 82g
70. 77g
65. 74g

I cleaned the poop off the kittens with a warm rag and then dried them off. I thought maybe she just doesn't know exactly what to do because she's a baby herself. I will keep watching them and I don't mind helping her keep them clean. Just wasn't sure if the color and consistency were normal.

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you clean the kittens for her with a warm, damp cloth? If the runny yellow poop persists, they will need treatment for it - likely an antibiotic. If you still see it tomorrow, I'd phone the vet. Runny yellow poop indicates possible infection. Could be giardia.

She may not have full milk in yet. If the gains do not increase to 6-10 grams, I think you might want to supplement very soon.
Sorrt I saw your reply after I just replied myself haha. But yes I did clean them off for her :) I will call the vet in the morning if it continues.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The gains are good!

Runny, yellow poop means bacterial infection. Even though they are newborns, they may need tiny amounts of antibiotics. She may not be cleaning them because it's diarrhea.

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok! Thanks! I really had no idea. Rosier kittens are doing so well. We haven't dealt with any issues thus far.