How To Help Cats Get Along?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crystall97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Molly and Sophie have both been doing great! Molly now comes to me at the same time every night to get in our half hour of play and cuddles afterwards! We’re thinking of moving the food to the end of my hallway, which is next to my door. And hoping everything goes well we were thinking of doing a small introduction like maybe put sophie in her carrier (she loves being in there lately) and bringing her into the living room so both cats can safely see and smell without any fighting.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad they are both doing well.

It is very important we don't rush this. Taking our time will actually allow us to get them together sooner. The key is too keep positive associations.

I am so proud of you and Molly. Keep playing with her and building her confidence.

Are you having people over for Christmas? Change like a lot of people in and around the house can cause some cats some stress. So I think we should wait until after the holidays to start feeding on each side of the closed door.

They have to eat on each side of the closed door for a while before we start feeding with some visual. It is very important not to rush this. We have to make sure every encounter is as positive as possible.

So please do not have them together in any way yet. The time will come but that is down the road. We have to gradually make a positive association with scent and food first for a while before we move to the next step. But for now I want to hold off even feeding by the door. Let's just keep building Molly's confidence as well as Sophie's.

Keep up the great work. I am really happy how you have helped Molly.

Crystall97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No one is coming over but my cousin, who both Molly and Sophie know and love.

I suppose I may be getting ahead of myself, but with the progress they’ve both made and how well they’re doing now I figured it might be at least starting to get close to that time

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this thread. I see you are getting personal coaching from C calicosrspecial :) It sounds like things are progressing well. Hopefully before too long all your furry babies will be best buds. :catrub:

Any chance you can post pics of Molly and Sophie so we can put faces to names. :camera:

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well no wonder Molly is pissy, Sophie wore the same dress to the party!

Beautiful girls, and have been reading on your progress. Very happy for all three of you!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one is coming over but my cousin, who both Molly and Sophie know and love.

I suppose I may be getting ahead of myself, but with the progress they’ve both made and how well they’re doing now I figured it might be at least starting to get close to that time
The biggest mistake I see is that people rush the process. It really is a process to introduce them and let them know that the other cat is ok. It is really important to reinforce positives and avoid negatives. The more positive encounters then it is more likely when they do meet they think "I know that cat, that cat isn't going to hurt me".

So let's just reinforce this more confident Molly for now. It is great that we aren't going to have too many people over during the holidays. More change and people tends to equal more stress for the cats. More stress equals more problems. So it is great to hear that shouldn't be an issue. Any people coming over for New Year's?

Update me on how they are doing (especially Molly). I am thinking we start feeding by the closed door (starting a bit away and very slowly moving the food closer) a little after Christmas. I am more concerned with how Molly will build the positive association so we'll have to think how we handle Sophie when Molly is eating on the other side of the door.

Don't worry, if we take it slow we will get them to coexist faster than if we rush the process. As we move through the steps we can assess the timing better. The key will be to make every encounter as positive as possible and to avoid any negative encounters. There are always ups and downs but we will get through this.

Also, start thinking about what you will be able to put in your doorway (baby gates etc) so when the time comes after feeding by the closed door we can have the tools necessary to feed with visual but not physical access. But this is still a few weeks away. But it is good to have the necessary items available when the time comes.

Thank you so much for the pictures. They are absolutely adorable!! Seeing those beautiful cats is a great motivation for them to get along and live well in their forever home.

Please update anytime and ask anything anytime. Keep up the great work.

Crystall97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize for not updating sooner, things have been quite crazy around here!

So we decided to start doing one meal a day near my door which worked flawlessly! Now we are doing all feedings there!

Ive also started opening my door just a crack for an hour or two at a time- no fights yet! I always sit in the hallway or on my bed so I’m right there if things ever start to escalate but I haven’t had to intervene yet.

I decided to try introducing boo and Sophie since boo is the most lax cat we have, in neutral territory in the living room, with me holding Sophie and they both just sniffed each other and Boo went back to cleaning herself. Zero problems there! Same with Max!

Molly is still having a harder time however. When I first started a week or so ago anytime Molly saw Sophie she would just fluff right out and start growling but she’s now adjusting beautifully and doesn’t growl, fluff, or anything. Ocassionally she will meow a few times but that’s the extent of it. Obviously I don’t want to push either of them but I am so so proud of them both, Molly especially. I am still spending hours everyday with Molly to assure her, through play and just plain old affection.

Sophie is very well adjusted to life in my room now. I think having the door open here and there has helped too. She’s usually sleeping on my bed, or running around at night playing with one of her thousands of toys! She no longer cries and scratches at the door at night either.

Overall everybody is doing wonderfully. Every positive reaction between the cats and Sophie is rewarded with plenty of treats on both sides, while Molly gets a nice 15 minute rub down.

I hope you had a lovely holiday! Thank you again for everything!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:cheerleader: Well done, Molly! :cheerleader:

:salam: And, of course, Sophie, Boo, and Max too! :salam:

It sounds as though you've followed C calicosrspecial 's advice to the letter, and been rewarded with a relatively quick and easy process. Long may the good times roll, and hopefully Sophie will soon be a fully fledged member of your tribe.
:wavey:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to apologize.

Just keep up the process and take it slow, don't rush it. The more they are together in a positive way with no negative encounters the more it builds their trust.

There are always ups and downs in the process and we often see some positives early on so we have to remain diligent and keep the encounters as positive as possible even if they are for a short time. Avoiding negatives is very important as is positive association.

You are doing a great job, I am so impressed and proud of you and all the cats.

Always here for you anytime, keep up the great work.