How to Deal With This - suggestions needed

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I witnessed the littel neighbor girl, about 4 years old, hit her beagle with a broom. I marched across the yard (she was outside alone), and told her thatr if I ever saw her do anything mean like that to the dog again, I was going to tell her dad and call the police and she would go to jail. She started bawling and went into the corner of the yard until she stopped. I'm pretty sure she never told her mom what I said, but I haven't seen her hit the dog again either. BTW, I dislikle most children greatly, so I have no bad feelings over what I did.
I love kids but something tells me I would of reacted like that My dog was a basset Dazy she passed March 10 last year and a beagle is the off bread or something like that. I would of freaked.. lol

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to second the suggestion made by momof3rugratz. It keeps you out of the loop while also reminding the family that there are laws against mistreating animals that way.

And if it happens again, maybe that puppy will accidentally find her way into your car one day and go for a ride to a nice new home with someone who appreciates her.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I would talk to the parents. The boy isn't going to listen to you...but by talking to the parents and seeing their reaction you will be able figure out if they should have a dog in their home at all.

If they don't seem surprised or upset about him kicking the dog, I would wait for on other sign of abuse and call the appropriate authorities anonomously to deal with it.

That poor dog doesn't deserve that crap

It's a shame you can't call the authorities directly but unfortunately it was only what you saw, and so staying anonymous could be hard. If you were willing to come out and say it was you to prove it happened, it could cause trouble with your neighbours.

Poor dog. Things will only get worse and labs are so beautiful the dog will probably just take it, and become timid and frightened, and then probably will finally bite someone (not the boy - dogs rarely bite the person who abuses them) and get put down for it

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god thats horrible! There are tonnes of 10 year olds who wouldnt do that, so im pretty sure the kid understood what he was doing. Unfortunately my thought is to hang the kid upside down in a tree by his undies till he gives in.

If it were me, i would chat to the parents, if i saw it happen again i would report them and have the poor pup taken to a better home. I know some kids turn out bad and it is not the parents fault, but this kid has serious problems.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I want to second the suggestion made by momof3rugratz. It keeps you out of the loop while also reminding the family that there are laws against mistreating animals that way.

And if it happens again, maybe that puppy will accidentally find her way into your car one day and go for a ride to a nice new home with someone who appreciates her.
dog napping isnt good but it would be fore a good reason

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't envy your situation I think I would talk to the parents but I doubht they would care based upon what all you have posted about them or call the authorities.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Is there any way you could speak positively with the child? Lay on the B.S about what a beautiful dog Rose is, how special both he and the dog are, how it takes a very special boy to care for a special dog, that it is never okay to hit something so special. Something along those lines. Perhaps give him a book at his reading level on the care of dogs or a book with dog stories.
Not sure if it will work, especially if he is a psycho killer in the making. but, he may very well be a kid who is ignored.
I like that idea a lot. Maybe afterward have a chat with the parents too, explaining what you said, as if you were helping them - you know, as if you were on the same side.