How pathetic am I? ( no it's not a poll)

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
10 years ago I would have been out tonight..partying with friends, having a great time.... and now here I sit...alone, with a miserable cold...(even if I didn't have a miserable cold I would still be sitting here alone) Amber is asleep, but she was fussy tonight...I think she is getting my cold.
And I just feel so old and alone tonight. It's New Year's Eve for pete's sake...and I am here...and noone else is.

Aww, well....Happy New Year's anyway.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 20 and I'm sitting her alone. I'm also engaged...yet I'm still alone. My fiancee had to work tonight and I hoped he'd get home and call by 12. It's 111Am and still nothing. *sigh* So looks like we're both alone tonight. I dont think you're pathetic. Why cant you go out like you used to? You're not old yet...plus age is internal. You're as old as you feel!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Gothic_Amethyst
I'm 20 and I'm sitting her alone. I'm also engaged...yet I'm still alone. My fiancee had to work tonight and I hoped he'd get home and call by 12. It's 111Am and still nothing. *sigh* So looks like we're both alone tonight. I dont think you're pathetic. Why cant you go out like you used to? You're not old yet...plus age is internal. You're as old as you feel!!
The reason I can't go out like I used to is because I have a 16 month old child, and she is well worth it, but I wouldn't leave her in anyone's care for the evening...because I don't want to drive her home after I have been out drinking...or drive myself home after I've been out partying. Those things never occurred to me when I was young...but they do now. And even if I found a sitter overnight...almost all of my close friends are married and have kids of their own and are staying home tonight, so who would I go out with?

It's no big deal...just feeling sorry for myself a bit. I don't wish to go back to those days...I have much more in life now (my daughter) than I did then, but I do sometimes miss those days.

Hope that makes sense.

kev

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Debs
Think about things realistically - you may be sat alone in the place you are in and indeed you are on your own at the moment - however, you have a beautiful daughter and the cat that have enriched your life to such an extent that maybe you would be happier being in with them.
You have a few thousand of us sat here at the end of a pc or phone to talk to, rant rave or whatever you choose. You may not be outside enjoying the festivities, but you are both safe indoors.
You are not out getting drunk, nor have you gone out and decided that you can drive home even when not safe. You did neither of these and this morning when you wake and look at your daughter - she has her mum which she is totally dependant and you have her. There was never a better combination in my eyes.
I did not go out either, am married nearly 8 years in march and was in bed by 22.30. I had a nip of Scotch before bed and then went to try to get my wife off to sleep as she is full of cold and flu. We were up for three hours with our son - 15 minutes with fireworks - 2.75 hours as it damnded well snowed and he would not settle at all.Too excited...
Daddy here has to go and build a snow man and I hate the cold (please tell me why I have applied to transfer countries and jobs to Canada?).
You have grown up and matured and even though those days are gone when partying all night took place, look at your daughter again. Now you cant tell me for one single second that you would not have rather spent the night with her - in your shoes (of which I have large feet and those pointy shoe things dont suit me) - I would rather be where you are.
Home where you are loved, needed and available to us all on TCS.
Now Happy new year to the pair of you, I hope all your dreams come true and give Amber a special hug - from this Yorkshireman in the snow.
Kev

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw thank you Kev!
And I hope your wife gets to feeling better! And you are right...I wouldn't trade my life now, with my child, for the old party life....it was empty at the end of the day...but with her...it is never empty.

dawna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I spent it alone too. Friends cancelled their party, I figured, oh, well, I can spend it with my parents and my sister. My sister had to work (graveyard), my mom flew to california today for my uncle's wedding, and my dad went to bed at 10:30. Um, okay, I could have been doing this at my own house. Now I have a terrified dog (fireworks), she hates them, but she's more nervous here than at home. My puppy decided tonight that she doesn't like them either (it's easier with her though because she's not as neurotic and hyper-sensitive as my border collie). And my cats and chinnies are at home alone.

Dawn

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Debby
The reason I can't go out like I used to is because I have a 16 month old child...almost all of my close friends are married and have kids of their own and are staying home tonight, so who would I go out with?

It's no big deal...just feeling sorry for myself a bit. I don't wish to go back to those days...I have much more in life now (my daughter) than I did then, but I do sometimes miss those days.

Hope that makes sense.
Oh I didnt know any of that. I thought you were saying just didnt go out cause you thought you were too old. I dont blame you if I had a young child I would do the same thing. Um...you could've all met and had a party together?? I dont really know..that does pose a problem.

We all miss days in our past...especially if they are from a time where we are happier or are younger. Just think positive...this is a new year..waiting to be filled with new memories and it's a year that can be whatever we make of it. You should also be proud of yourself...instead of going out and partying you chose to stay home with your child. Not all women would do that.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well Debby- I was out in the pasture trying to keep my horse calm while the fireworks were going off-none of which we were responsible for. I used to party in my heyday as well- but my party days are way behind me now, I look at it as a passage of growing up and growing old.
I did call a friend who has a painful anniversary to get through. Eight years ago New Years Eve her son was gunned down in a drive-by shooting. He was just in the very wrong place at a very wrong time. Molly hates New Years Eve now, she just lets her husband deal with the kids and she goes to sleep so she can get it over with.

Be thankful you are indoors and safe - especially this year.

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, Debby, (HUG), I'm celebrating with ya!!!!!!! While our partying days are mostly over, just last year we were clubbing and jumping place to place. Blaaaah. This year is great at home, just hubby and kitties. Like MA said, it's wonderful to be inside and safe.

Happy New Year's!!

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh dear I was in too but it seems like I was amongst friends! I dont really miss the partying at all - I like to be all snuggly in the warm with my furries and watching the telly.
Anyway you dont get old you just get old-er.
Happy New Year to you all.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Deb, I spent New Year's Eve alone, too, except for JC. My husband had to work, and a friend I'd invited over has the flu. I actually rather enjoyed myself - spent a few hours on the Internet reading or posting here, played with JC to keep him calm (he still spent about an hour, from 11:45 p.m. to 12:45 a.m., behind the sofa, and then slept on top of me the rest of the night). Kev's right - just take one look at your daughter, and you'll know that you wouldn't trade with other people. An awful lot of people spent the evening alone, for whatever reason - I just read that Edinburgh cancelled its celebrations because of bad weather.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chaulk another one up to staying in. My husband and I used to always go out, but since we had our son 8 years ago and my daughter 4 years ago, New Years Eve has become a great night for the family. Nice dinner, play w/ the kids, watch some of the festivities on TV and off to bed.

Debby, don't feel sorry for yourself. And just because you don't go out doesn't mean you are old. Hell, I'm only 28 and the last new years I went out was when I was 20! Now that is pathetic!!!! But thats what I chose when I decided to have kids.

Happy New Year everyone!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was staying at home too and have no problem with it . I stayed on line till about 1.00am and then went to bed . We really don't party any more . I guess my hubby and I getting old . Btw I am 45 years old , or young lol and really don't feel old . I guess it is how you see things in life is important , at least for me .

Happy New 2004 to all .

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stayed in too, my other half's family came over for dinner and we had a glass of wine or two, we're within walking distance so no driving for anyone.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stayed home and watched Dick Clarks New Years Rockin Eve. At 10pm my time, I called my sister who lives in Iowa, and we brought in HER portion of 2004 in, and we got a kick out of the fact that it was still 2003 for me, kind of like I was still in the past while she was in the future. Then we brought in MY New Year at 12 midnight my time. I also gave my cats and my dog kisses at midnight. So, I didn't party at all, but I think I had a wonderful New Years Eve.