How Often do you Wash your Cat?

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twice a year and I use Dawn dishwashing liquid. That's what my groomer uses.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never bathed either of my two. Once Lilly got into the fireplace ashes and I had to spot clean her paws, but never have had to clean a whole cat. They do get brushed every day with a natural boar bristle brush. This really seems to help distribute their natural oils and gets out any loose dust or dander.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats I have now I never bathe until last week when I discovered fleas. I bathed my long haired cat who seemed to get the worst end of the flea deal. They all got Revolution the next day. This is the first time I have ever dealt with fleas in the 30+ years of owning cats.....

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once I had to give Ohki a half-bath. She had the runs and got poo stuck on her rear. I used some puppy shampoo, and washed up her rear end in the sink. She complained about it, but didn't scratch me or struggle a lot.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Matilda (Persian/Domestic Long Hair) - Once a month.

Chloe (Domestic Long Hair) - Never.

Mattie has really greasy fur and is very prone to face/chin acne. She's easy to give a bath to because she is declawed (unfortunately). I've never attempted to give Chloe a bath, and I don't think I ever will. Her foster mom gave her one once before I adopted her and said she was the most difficult cat she ever had to bathe.
Chloe doesn't need it though. (What Chloe does need is much more brushing/grooming because she has more of an undercoat than Mattie does, whereas Mattie's hair is all one length and just needs to be combed).

For Mattie, I use Dawn first and then rinse. Then I use a cat shampoo and rinse again.

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But this is the first cat that I have ever had to bathe. Micha bathes herself often... but not very well. She is mostly an outdoor kitty, and she really gets stinky! Never had this problem with other cats. Anyways, I've bathed her twice. She doesn't like it, but she doesn't bite or scratch.

She also lets loose some really toxic farts... but that's a topic for another forum, and I know that bathe won´t do anything about that!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Hey Amber, I'd pay to see you give your big cats a bath!
Just remember to clip those nails before you do
The bobcats would enjoy it, because they love water. But I don't know about Carmelo. I think I would end up being the one given the bath

magicchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Tortie (Cosette) gets a bath once a week. I'm extremely allergic to cats.

I just adopted Savannah (my Bobcat/Bengal mix) about a week ago. She goes to the vet tomorrow to get her stitches out from being spayed, and then will be going to the groomers to get a bath on Monday. I'm not sure if she's ever had a bath before. She's 3, but she absolutely loves water. She comes running when she hears me turn on the sink and dips her head in it. She tries to get her whole body in it, but I can't let her do that with her stitches.

Both cats get an allergen reducer rubbed into their fur every other day too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MagicChic

My Tortie (Cosette) gets a bath once a week. I'm extremely allergic to cats.

I just adopted Savannah (my Bobcat/Bengal mix) about a week ago. She goes to the vet tomorrow to get her stitches out from being spayed, and then will be going to the groomers to get a bath on Monday. I'm not sure if she's ever had a bath before. She's 3, but she absolutely loves water. She comes running when she hears me turn on the sink and dips her head in it. She tries to get her whole body in it, but I can't let her do that with her stitches.

Both cats get an allergen reducer rubbed into their fur every other day too.
Wow, congrats on Savannah! Where are the pictures??

magicchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol, thanks! Her pictures are on page 2 of my thread in "New Cats on the Block". I think I titled it "New Here and New to Cats". She's a marble Bengal & Bobcat. She's so pretty, I love her. She's real friendly too. Well, when the dogs aren't around her...

Here's the link:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=180617&page=2

The grey parts of her fur are really coarse. It's awesome.