How often do you replace your mattress?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH wants to go mattress shopping this weekend.  About a week ago we think he slept funny and it left him pretty sore for several days.  (It doesn't help his job requires him to lift and move a lot.)  To the point he didn't work 2 days last week!  Everything is better now except his neck. 

We have a beauty rest that I think is still fine; but it's probably 7 or so years old.  It's the kind that is firmer on one side (his) and softer on the other (mine).  So maybe that is making a difference too.  And with me being pregnant; it's hard to say if the bed itself is contributing some to my sleep problems.  It doesn't seem to be.

So he wants a new bed now.  I really wasn't thinking we'd be spending money on something like that right now.  I'm more focused on baby stuff.  A few of his co-workers swear by the tempur-pedic ones.  I'm thinking that just sounds like more money!!  And then he asks if I want to upgrade to a king....so replace all our sheets....again.  We did that when we went from a full to a queen when we got this bed!  Iyayi!

So how often do you replace your mattress?  And any thoughts on the tempur-pedic?  Brands you recommend or do not recommended?  If we do end up sending the money; I better love the bed!!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There isn't really a timetable for mattresses, it all depends on the individual, how the mattress has been treated, etc. If you want a timetable, general consensus is 5-10 years. 

If you answer yes to any of the questions below, it's time to consider getting a new mattress;

Are you uncomfortable when you lay down?

Do you wake up tired or sore?

Are there lumps, sagging or noises from the springs when you lay down?

Is your mattress still uncomfortable after rotating or flipping?

If you have allergies, you should consider changing your mattress more often than someone that doesn't because of dust mites. People ~40 years and older should also change their mattress more often because of increased sensitivity at pressure points. 

I've heard really good things about Tempurpedic mattresses, I haven't had a chance to try one yet though. My mattress needs to be changed, but I can't afford it right now. When I can, I think I'm going to try the Tempurpedic. I'm 26 and have a lot of back and joint problems, in addition to sleeping problems (I have a hard time getting into REM sleep according to a few sleep studies I've been in). 

When you do go to buy a new mattress, go to a place that offers at least a 30 trial incase you don't like it. It takes time to get used to a new mattress and no matter how much you flop around on it at the store you won't really know until you sleep on it for awhile. 

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tempurpedic beds are pricey...but I think they are worth the money if you can afford it. I tried one and I ended up laying on the bed in the store for like 1/2 hour. It was amazing. If I had the money, I would get one in a heartbeat. 

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sleep number bed is an awful mattress.  If you google reviews, you will see it is not the perfect sleeping mattress that the company says.  We had one for a few years, and my back was horrible.  I kept rolling into the "crevace" between the sleep chambers and ended up on the hard board. 

I never found a number where it didn't hurt.  IMO, there is not enough support.  After all it is just air, and some parts of the body need more support than others.  And it is cold.  Air does not heat up as fast as a solid under you.

Oh, and it never looks "made".  You cannot sit on it without having to smooth out all the wrinkles when you get up.  It is sloppy looking.  And if you sit on the side,like when you get up first thing, you slide off.  No support  Like a slide.

I guess you can tell.....I hated it!!!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. They are defiantly worth it. My Chiropractor is a friend of mine, and before I had Angel, I would house sit for him when he went out of town. I got to sleep in his bed which is a Temperpedic. It took a little adjusting because your body does really settle in the mattress, but I slept really well. I usually wake up at least a couple of times a night, & I think I only woke up once (for the bathroom) when I slept on it. The biggest difference was that I felt well rested when I got up, not tired, like I usually do. ( I am in need of a new mattress too,( but so not in the budget),  mine is about 10yr. old & I have a couple of board's under the center where it has given a little, sense it's just me & Angel, we usually end up in the middle. lol!)

Tempurpedic beds are pricey...but I think they are worth the money if you can afford it. I tried one and I ended up laying on the bed in the store for like 1/2 hour. It was amazing. If I had the money, I would get one in a heartbeat. 

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About two years ago I got a memory foam topper for mine which is the same idea as a tempurpedic mattress and it made a huge difference. I ordered mine from overstock and it is a four inch topper but I don't remember the density on it. I also bought the cover for the topper and a cover with elastic on each corner to go over it and my mattress. I think I paid just $200 for everything and it was well worth it. I have also heard a lot of bad things about the sleep number mattresses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys!  I guess it doesn't help that we can't really flip our mattress.  We could rotate; but then we'd have to switch what side we each sleep on and I don't see that going over well with DH.

If we go shop tomorrow I'll try to talk to DH about just looking at first and definitely check out any guarantees!  I'm worried that my sleeping different because of my pregnancy will make it harder for me to truly judge the bed.  I don't think we can fit any toppers on our mattress or the sheets wont fit.  It's already one of the super thick kind.  I've always thought we had a great bed.  But then now that I'm thinking of it; DH was the first to insist we get a new bed last time too.  And I was glad we did.
The sleep number bed is an awful mattress.  If you google reviews, you will see it is not the perfect sleeping mattress that the company says.  We had one for a few years, and my back was horrible.  I kept rolling into the "crevace" between the sleep chambers and ended up on the hard board. 

I never found a number where it didn't hurt.  IMO, there is not enough support.  After all it is just air, and some parts of the body need more support than others.  And it is cold.  Air does not heat up as fast as a solid under you.

Oh, and it never looks "made".  You cannot sit on it without having to smooth out all the wrinkles when you get up.  It is sloppy looking.  And if you sit on the side,like when you get up first thing, you slide off.  No support  Like a slide.

I guess you can tell.....I hated it!!!
My Aunt had one of those and had a similar problem.  She has back problems from an injury at work +20 years ago; so it was really awful for her.  The idea sounds great; but I'm not sold on them.  Esp since you have the same complaint she did!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most mattresses carry a 25 year warranty.  Personally I can't see me keeping a mattress for that long. The idea of all of those dust mites dining off of dead skin cells, grosses me out completely. I use a mattress cover, but still.... blech!

Also, I had a waterbed all of my adult life and only went to a conventional bed in October of 2009.  It had a 4" pillow top.  I found that the pillow top didn't really hold up and I found that I was sleeping in a gully in the centre of the bed and it was very hard to turn over.

However, I was prepared to live with that for a year or two more because I wanted to use my funds for other furniture purchases.  But an unfortunate bed bug infestation forced me to abandon that very expensive 2 year old bed and buy another very expensive one. I did get a pillow top, but it's a different kind with a better construction from what I've been told.  So pending no disasters or bed bugs, I plan on keeping this mattress for maybe 5 to 7 years before getting another. I invested in a different mattress cover that resists dust mites and "leakage" so hopefully it will hold up.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We've been debating about a new mattress as well.....our current mattress is probably about ten years old and Rick constantly complains about it. It's still in fairly good shape; I do rotate it about every four months. And once a year I rotate end-on-end, too. The cats love to watch me do that!

We've had a queen for years; I don't see us going to a king, although I'd like to do so. With seven cats in bed with us (and all of them stretched-out to grab the most space!), it gets ridiculously crowded sometimes. Rick usually ends up way over on his edge and I'm on my edge. And the cats and all comfy in the center of the bed.

It's a firmer mattress; we got it because of my lower back issues (four blown disks). Rick has hated it from the first night. It's way too firm for him and we think it's causing issues with his back and hips. We're checking out temperpedic, too. I don't see us buying anything right now, though, but maybe more toward fall.

Actually, I like to buy a new bed. We've had the same old cannonball bed since we've been married; it had a rail along the footboard.....three cats decided to walk along the rail at one time.....and the rail broke. I'd like to have a sleigh bed.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm disappointed to hear about the Sleep Number bed.  We are in need of a new mattress and that was going to be my first choice.  I know two people that absolutely love it and one that hates hers.   I was afraid of the Tempurpedic because I was afraid the "foam" would be hot to sleep on.  I thought another plus in getting a Sleep Number is that you wouldn't have to flip the mattress.  We flip our conventional mattress every couple of months but it's a King size mattress and I guess I am getting too old because it's difficult for me to lift it.  Are Tempurpedic mattress like regular mattresses that you'd have to flip? 

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you google reviews of the sleep number bed, you will see that just as many people hate it as love it.  Their marketing is so good.  But honestly, just the fact you cannot sit on the edge of it and it looks messy if you sit on it would be enough for me to stay away.  But do your own research.

O, and the kitties laying on it too leave little feet prints everywhere.  Plus all the junk, hoses and a motor under the bed gather dust and are a real pain. 

PS....don't check the reviews on the SNB site....oddly they are all good!

Last edited:

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We too need a new mattress in our guest bedroom so i was thinking of moving our's into that room and then we could get a new one.  Last week I googled memory foam mattress and there was a website that pushes their brand but had some good info on memory foam mattress's in general.  It seems like they remain body heat which I don't know if I like.  So I'm still undecided as what to buy yet.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, You wouldn't want to put a topper on a mattress that already sagging etc... the topper will just mold into that as well & not really do any good if it doesn't have a good foundation of a good mattress under it, so wouldn't waste the money on one, unless you went w/ one of the thickest ones in place of a mattress (on top of your bx spngs)  until you can get a new one. (I think I remember seeing up to 12" ones on Overstock). Good luck!  Let us know what works!

Thanks guys!  I guess it doesn't help that we can't really flip our mattress.  We could rotate; but then we'd have to switch what side we each sleep on and I don't see that going over well with DH.

If we go shop tomorrow I'll try to talk to DH about just looking at first and definitely check out any guarantees!  I'm worried that my sleeping different because of my pregnancy will make it harder for me to truly judge the bed.  I don't think we can fit any toppers on our mattress or the sheets wont fit.  It's already one of the super thick kind.  I've always thought we had a great bed.  But then now that I'm thinking of it; DH was the first to insist we get a new bed last time too.  And I was glad we did.

My Aunt had one of those and had a similar problem.  She has back problems from an injury at work +20 years ago; so it was really awful for her.  The idea sounds great; but I'm not sold on them.  Esp since you have the same complaint she did!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We too need a new mattress in our guest bedroom so i was thinking of moving our's into that room and then we could get a new one.  Last week I googled memory foam mattress and there was a website that pushes their brand but had some good info on memory foam mattress's in general.  It seems like they remain body heat which I don't know if I like.  So I'm still undecided as what to buy yet.
A polyester mattress pad and or cotton sheets with a high thread count will help. I guess there are other memory foam mattresses out there with little channels that draw the heat out but still give you that same support. Not sure which brands though.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you can't afford a full tempurpedic mattress, you might want to look into adding a tempurpedic mattress pad. I have a 4" pad on top of my mattress, and it's amazingly comfortable. It's like laying on a cloud. Also, this reduces the pressure on individual springs in a mattress and extends the life. I have had my mattress for 7 or 8 years, and when I take the mattress pad off of it, it's still basically a new mattress.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to now.  It was purchased in 1997.  But hubby fell eight feet off a ladder last Sept and is still trying to recover from that.  A change in the mattress might not agree with him right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well we ended up buying a new mattress today!

I laid on the tempurpedic and it was ok.  I didn't think it was "soft" enough.  So the sales guy showed me the Phenom bed by Simmons Comforpedic.  He had us lay on them for several minutes so they had time to adjust.  After a few minutes my lower back started to relax.  It was NOT cheap so it better be worth it!!  It reacts to your position change a little faster than the tempurpedic; which I like.  It is also supposed to be better about the heat factor.  The sales guy said neither of those beds should make you sweat but you will be a little warmer in the tempurpedic.  We will see how it goes with the Phenom.

The purchase also included new rails (we don't even have a headboard...our bedroom looks like we are still in college...lol), the mattress protector and 2 pillows.  The pillows we got were the ridiculously expensive ones by Simmons that "go" with the bed; though we could have chosen others.  It felt like it cradled my head without me having to bunch up the pillow like I do at home.  (I can't wait to sleep on my belly again!)

We decided to upgrade to a king from our queen.  These beds are supposed to last a LONG time; so we figured it was now or never.  The bed should be delivered Monday.  So that meant we had to go buy new sheets and blankets too! 

I can't wait to give this new bed a good test run!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nice, Mooch! Congratulations on your new bed! I hope you and your DH (and the kids and the cats) have many, many, restful years on your Phenom! The pillows sound really nice, too!