How often do you change your bedding!?!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont mean just a wash type deal but actually go out and by a whole new set of sheets pillow cases and comforter??? I usually buy new ones every spring/summer and fall. I hate it when my bedding starts smelling like sweat and armpits (we arent dirty but I dont like people smell on my stuff..lol) So I wash everything atleast once a week or every other week if I work a lot. But I cant stand when comforters and sheets start feeling worn or used so I am constantly on the lookout for new sets at Walmart. We just got a new set back in May and already from washing it the sheets feel worn and just blah. So I went out and got new stuff flannel sheets for the winter in a brown plaid and a new reversable comforter in a dark brown to match the sheets! I love changing the stuff around because we have this country cottage thing going on inside the whole house and I can always find something that fits this theme. Even our living room wubbie blanket is a dark mocha brown that fits into the whole rustic living room we have going on! Now I need to work on chair cushions and a table cloth for the kitchen!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
opps misread... I have five or so sets of shams and comforter s.. likely buy one a yr ...

sheets I bought plenty last yr of nice ones so none for a few more yrs

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy high thread count sheet sets which last a pretty long time, and are super comfy. We only buy new sheet sets when they start getting holey

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I buy high thread count sheet sets which last a pretty long time, and are super comfy. We only buy new sheet sets when they start getting holey
My husband is kind of a sheet-snob, so when we got married, I moved up in the world of sheets.
I used to have low-thread-count sheets, but I found that I would buy new ones more often.

Now we generally only buy new ones when things start falling apart. However, we need to replace the pillow cases more often, because my husband is balding and his head-grease stains the cases (don't tell him I told ya'll that!!).

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love buying new sheets and comforters!

I have very little storage now so I can't justify it anymore. ReeRee also makes holes and tears in the fabric so to spend money on new sheets when i know he is going to rip a hole in it.....makes me cringe.

But I like having a fresh change twice a year if I can. New colors or patterns.
Makes me happy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep all the sheets and stuff just in case BF brings in car interiors and they need covered or windshields or glass from different cars he is working on but the last 2 comforters I had were inherited by Franklin because his bed consists of a giant pillow for the floor a regular pillow in the hidey hole next to the dresser, 2 light blankets and a comforter..He has his own little next and BF took one out to the garage for when he needs to crawl around on the floor and needs something to cover the floor

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter is always looking for sheets. I can always use the excuse that I am donating to the shelter...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think my local shelter is open on Wed but Ill check when I go to the auction because its right next to the SPCA. Ill ask them if they need any bedding type stuff because Ive got tons of sheets and stuff I could donate to them. What a great idea!!! And a perfect excuse to support my addiction!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Same here! We also have issues liking the same type and finding something that fits. I actually have to search for new ones soon. I just refuse to pay top dollar and search for sales. Usually the top sheet is king and the fitted is queen so we have to look for singles.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Typically buy a new bedspread/comforter every few years. It's hard to find what I like; although there is one Nautica style I like but it's $150
Plus storage/closet space isn't plentiful at my apartment either.

I have been buying higher thread count sheets, they feel much softer and last longer than the low count. I can find those on Ebay (if I'm looking for a particular brand/style), Target or Ross.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, i have a pastel patterned quilt on my bed so I have a few sheet sets to match that, a light pink and green one and I think I have another one somewhere
Those are high thread count and still seem in pretty good condition. I also have a teal and apple green comforter that I bought teal sheets to match, but those sheets are low thread count and I have to go to the laundromat to wash the comforter so i don't use that set very often
But high thread count sheets are a bit pricey so i think I'm good for awhile!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our bedspread is probably 5+ years old
It's Sheridan brand which we got on sale back in Australia, and it's got loose threads all over it thanks to certain kitties who love to chase toes. It doesn't seem worth getting a new one though which will just get ruined by their claws

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy high thread count as well and find they last much longer and stay much nicer. I had one set of Yves St. Laurent sheets for 25 years and they were still wonderful. They finally did wear out. Any time I have bought cheap sheets I find they get nubby and not so nice after a few washings.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is what I do but I am always buying more when I find really good sales on them.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our duvet cover is from crate and barrel and I LOVE it. We've had it for 5 years or so. It matches the wall color in our master bathroom. The cover is light blue and white and our bedroom walls are taupe...the bathroom walls are the same shade of blue and we have towels that match the duvet cover in the same shade of taupe as the bedroom walls. Stupid I know, and it totally wasn't intentional. We got the bedding and towels at our last house and didn't take them into consideration when painting this house. Lol. I probabbly won't change it unless something happens to it, and I'll prpobably get another crate and barrel one.

We will only get high thread count sheets. I LOVE it when our sheets get worn in and super soft and comfy. I can't stand scratchy sheets, so we don't buy new sheets until the old ones have holes.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I buy high thread count as well and find they last much longer and stay much nicer. I had one set of Yves St. Laurent sheets for 25 years and they were still wonderful. They finally did wear out. Any time I have bought cheap sheets I find they get nubby and not so nice after a few washings.
I also buy high thread count....Egyptian Cotton is my favorite. I can't STAND cheap sheets, even after one washing it seems that they get pilly and I can not stand that feeling. Usually buy a new comforter once a year and due for that now. I rotate the old comforter to the travel trailer if it's still in good shape. I love buying new bedding, it always seem to brighten up the bedroom and make it seem more comfy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very thick queen - I can't afford to buy lots of sheets for it or replace comforters twice a year. The sheets themselves usually cost around $50 (or $70..) and any comforter is around the same.

That said, I have a couple of regular sets and a flannel set. One comforter for the time being. Sheets and blankets get washed weekly.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a new duvet cover for my birthday this year (March) and shouted myself my other blanket for Christmas two years ago (it's Microfibre). I get them drycleaned once a year and probably wont buy a new one for 5 years+ as these are good quality. The sheets we use are cheap and one currently has a hole in it which Tale succeeds at finding every night.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought new sheets in at least 12 years! I have two sets. I strip the bed every Sunday. I air the pillows, comforter and blankets outside if it's a nice day for it, on the day I strip the bed.

I flap everything vigorously (including bottom sheet and mattress pad) before I make the bed, (every morning)because like the OP, I don't like my bed to smell like "sleep".

I change my pillow case on Wednesday, in addition to Sunday.

I have two duvets for the down comforter, and two mattress pads. I alternate with them monthly.

Interesting thread!