How often do you buy kitty litter???

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use WBCL and I LOVE it. I scoop daily and change the box every month and sometimes I can get 6 weeks out of it. That is with only 1 cat though.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We use Fresh Step and I like it. We have one box (one kitty!) and it controls the odor well. It scoops well too.

Question: What do you use to disinfect the box? I've thought about taking it to work and using our disinfectant on it, but... that's a lot of work! LOL!

Paige

ETA: I think we bought a 25lb thingie and it's lasted us... 4 weeks or so. Just used the last bit.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually buy 30-something pound containers of Tidy Cat, and that lasts about 2-3 weeks.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To clean ours,I use about a capful of regular bleach to a gallon of water.I scrub them out with a sponge,so I can toss it after cleaning them.Then I rinse REALLY good and air dry out.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm and Hammer here...or Tidy Cats (if its on sale and I'm doubly armed with my $1 off coupon
)

Anyhoo, the cats enjoy both...Whitey actually has a fascination with the box from the store...he'll try desparately to get in it. He doesn't seem to understand that its not to be had...

I also buy every 1-2 weeks. We have 2 litter boxes and 4 cats and I'm scooping every day to every other day. They pee alot so that's why I go through litter so fast. They seem to have super huge bladders

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently I'm using Tidy Cats Multiple in the 35lb tub. Before that I tried Scoop Away for a while. The cats were OK with it but I thought there was too much dust. I scoop the boxes several times a day since I'm home most of the time. I also empty and scrub the boxes about once a month. In fact it's scrubbing time in the next few days.
I really haven't kept track of how long a large tub lasts- maybe three to four weeks.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I picked other. I use LitterMate which you can only get online, or in my case, I get on the mailing list of the company and when they show up in my area at a regional cat show, I buy an annual supply (about 1000 pounds between the LitterMate addititive and the LitterMate clay litter). He gets a big fat check but I avoid spending about $1000 the rest of the year.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though my 11 cats are indoor/outdoor, I need lots of cat litter. 20 kg (roughly 44 lbs) lasts me less than a month.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Well, Kenzie is a little poo machine, so today I have to go and get her some more kitty litter. Oh Joy!
lol....it's sad when I go to the grocery store more for the animals than for people food
...ahh, i'm going to have to accept the fact that i'm a cat lady one of these days
.../ I was wondering how often everyone buys kitty litter, what brand you use, how often you change your pans, and what size bag you buy.

I use normally use Arm & Hammer Super Scoop for my adult kitties (but sometimes i'll use fresh step, tidy cats, or something else if it's good and on sale) and Swheat Scoop for my foster kittens (just in case they get curious and try to eat the litter...it's non toxic..)

I have 4 kitties that I use the litter for (not counting the foster kittens) Humm, I'm really not sure how often I buy litter....but i'm going today....I will be switching Kenzie to the Arm & Hammer Super Scoop today .
I will be purchasing the normal sized box (I think there is only one size for that but i could be wrong.). I scoop my litter pans 1-2x a day and completly dump and clean Kenzie's every other day....ther rest of the girls I scoop daily and dump and clean once a week thoroughly.
your sooo funny!! "the catlady", i'm thinking... i'm certainly a great candidate
for that position, got it well underway!
my newiest, " love of my
life," "GG" is also a poop machine, as soon as she eats, she heads straight for it! Something else she does which is pretty cute, she may be playing , chasing, whatever she does... when all of a sudden i see her run past me, meowing a funny sound, headed to use the litter box to teetee! It reminds me
of my son, he is so busy playing a doesn't want to stop to use the bathroom, so he holds it as long as he can, and then when he can't hold it any longer, boom! he bolts to the bathroom!! GG does that! Cats, each has their own special thing that they do, now that i have had enough of them to notice this, i can't wait to see what each ones thing is!!!!!!! cats are soo cool!
I use arm & hammer, biggiest box, once a week, sometimes more, scoop the
box, 2 times daily, and clean it soap and water, once a wk!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer Tidy Cats clumping litter in the red box. I usually buy multiple tubs when I go to Walmart, because it seems to be cheapest there. I scoop (almost) daily. Sometimes I slip, especially when I have lots of fosters, because they just take some of my time!

When the boxes look yucky, I dump them out and soak in the laundry tub, using hot water and a splash of bleach. I have an extra toilet scrubbing brush that I keep in the laundry room, just for scrubbing out the litterboxes. I only scrub when they have bleach in them, to be sure the brush doesn't get germs on it. I am more careful about that since I have my cats and the fosters. Often the fosters are wormy, or could potentially have other illnesses.

I do rinse very well, because I learned at TCS that kitties don't like bleach!

Festie loves a clean litter box. Usually if I am scooping, she is following me to dirty the box again. Which is fine if she does it in box one as I scoop box two. But sometimes she waits just until I put down the scoop, then in she jumps!

The fosters are generally babies, so I just use whatever freebie clay litter has been donated to the agency. I also got to stock up on free canned food for the fosters the last time we were at Petco or Petsmart. So to all of you who donate to shelters and foster agencies....THANKS!!!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a product called OKO Plus - 2x40 litre bag lasts me about 10 weeks (10 cats, 11 litter boxes). Its a wood based product that clumps excellently and has a decent smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

your sooo funny!! "the catlady", i'm thinking... i'm certainly a great candidate
for that position, got it well underway!
my newiest, " love of my
life," "GG" is also a poop machine, as soon as she eats, she heads straight for it! Something else she does which is pretty cute, she may be playing , chasing, whatever she does... when all of a sudden i see her run past me, meowing a funny sound, headed to use the litter box to teetee! It reminds me
of my son, he is so busy playing a doesn't want to stop to use the bathroom, so he holds it as long as he can, and then when he can't hold it any longer, boom! he bolts to the bathroom!! GG does that! Cats, each has their own special thing that they do, now that i have had enough of them to notice this, i can't wait to see what each ones thing is!!!!!!! cats are soo cool!
I use arm & hammer, biggiest box, once a week, sometimes more, scoop the
box, 2 times daily, and clean it soap and water, once a wk!
Your GG sounds like such an adorable kitty! Do you have any pictures? lol, I was laughing when I read your post- Kenzie does the same thing- she will be playing or eating her dinner and the all of a sudden will make a b-line for the litter pan
....it's funny!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle just for cats to clean the box. I dump out all the litter, spray it down, scrub with a sponge, rinse and dry. I like it because it disinfects, but it's nontoxic.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm&Hammer. Here's the spokeskitty now!

I use Multi-cat. Don't ask why. I just do! I buy one a month or so.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I use chn feed with a layer of PPOD on the bottom.... I buy a 50lb of chn feed every 3-5 weeks ... have two large and one small boxes that are changed at least monthly more if nessasary....
GASP! When I was using Chicken Feed, I went through 150 bls. or more every 2 weeks! Then again, I had like a billion boxes in the house & then more outside...

Right now, I've got 3-35 lb. Tiday Cats Pails, 2-35 lb. Scoop Away pails, 1 Arm & Hammer scoop 20 lb. box, 1 Scoop Away 20 lb. box, 1 bag Yesterday's News....and 200 lbs. of chicken feed. Oh yeah, & I just dumped & filled the 3 rubbermaid tubs, 1 large litterpan & 1 underbed storage tub in the house today. That's like a ton of litter I used up right there!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy litter once a week. I have four boxes in the house. One for each kitty more or less. I use Tidy cat clumping upstairs and scoop it twice a day, and the regular Tidy cat litter downstairs and just scoop it once a day to get the poops out.

I change my litter every week and clean the boxes when I change the litter.
I am very anal when it comes to how my cats litter boxes smell. I figure, if I can smell it, they can too and it doesn't smell good to me, then how good does it smell to them?

luvslive

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say about every 2 weeks. It is hard to keep track of, though. We just started using Swheat Scoop and it is wonderful! I like that it is a natural product and will break down. It is odorless and clumps magically. With four cats litter is important. Some brands wouldn't clump well enough & will break up and go into the litter, and then I have to exchange all the litter too frequently. Tidy Cats crystals also works very well. And has a pleasant aroma.