How much are you spending?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw on the news that the average person will spend around $1,000 this year for Christmas gifts. If you don't mind me asking how much are you going to be spending this year?

I will be buying gift cards for my nephews and for people that have helped me through out the year. It will come to $950.00.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't spend hardly anything. My son and I (also my mom) made a deal a long time ago. I can give them gifts throughout the year, when they can use them, or I can give them one big gift at Christmas. They chose throughout the year so that they can use the gift when it's needed most and not have to wait.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really keep track. I buy for the grandkids throughout the year. The adults don't buy much for each other, it's all about the kids. I have three grown children and they all like Outback. I buy each couple a $50.00 gift certificate for Outback.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only buy gifts for my 2 nieces and my husband. I usually spend about $100 (total) on the girls, and a couple hundred on my husband. Might seem like a bit much for hubby (considering I don't spend much on the kids) but our Christmas gifts for each other are mostly "everyday" items the need replacing (clothes etc..). I don't care how old I get, I love getting a stocking and opening presents on Christmas morning!!! Everyone else in my family gets homemade cookies and candies as their gifts. As for how much I spend on groceries for all my baking, I don't know because I try to shop the sales several months before I have to start baking, and I've never really kept track. My husband will get a small gift for his dad, along with my cookies because his dad doesn't get anything if not. Nobody left on his side of the family that he exchanges gifts with, and although we are not materialistic, EVERYONE should get at least one present for Christmas.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t keep track too much. I am cutting back on who I give to though. I just have too many nieces, nephews and cousins kids now. Its hard to tell if some appreciate it because it’s not always acknowledged. My SIL and I agree to go small or do a group gift. Like a gift card to a frozen yogurt place for her kids. She’s sending mine a craft kit.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I only give gifts to my immediate family and closest of friends. My husband and I spend around 900-1500 USD every year, and not including the cost of shipping of the packages to our home country.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Other than the grands, we buy for my sister and BIL and they usually get a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant. We probably spend about $300 each on the two grands and the same on our son and DIL together.

We'll give Rick's mother a box of chocolates that I'll put together for her (chocolate-covered pretzels from our local candy store, Lindt chocolates, Ghirardelli chocolates, Hershey kisses, etc. I make up a small box and stick little things in there for her. She can root around in the box and pick something out. We give her enough to last through the holiday season). She doesn't need anything and she gets Christmas flowers from the church. She doesn't have room for "stuff". And she's a serious chocoholic, so it works.

Rick and I are not getting each other much of anything this year; he put a deck on the she-shed and I bought him a glider chair and ottoman. So it will be right around $1,000 total, maybe not even that.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I don't keep track of what I spend very closely. I DO NOT use a credit card though! I tend to buy for my grand daughter through out the year. We spend more on her than the rest of the family. This year I did set a budget and am sticking to it (so far). What I didn't budget though is the stocking stuffers - those add up quickly! My budget, minus the stocking stuffers is around $200. I set this because we haven't started getting the doctor bills yet from my husbands illness so I am spending as little as possible on anything right now. I know I am being silly but this is a way I have of coping - at least I feel in control of something! I have made ornaments for everyone and will be baking cookies too to supplement my cheapskate attitude this year.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nowhere near $1000. At our ages, Michele and I have about all we need or want, and each has the wherewithall to get whatever may catch our fancy, so it's usually just a card for us. Also, we don't have much in the way of family left to buy for either

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Over 500 but less than 1000. This year might be different since my husband is on disability our income has dropped sharply and our family is not in need of anything. Finding cheaper gifts that are not junk is harder these days though.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably only about $300 (Christmas/Hanukah)
We only get stuff for my husbands 2 grandkids and on my side, only my nieces and nephews that are still in school. We don't typically buy for each other either - if anything we'd just go do something together; a concert, Broadway show so I don't bother counting that in.
Neither of us grew up in a family where it was a thing to do the big holiday gift thing once childhood was over.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have $300 worth of stuff sitting in my Amazon cart. I have yet to buy for my dad, stepmom, and brother...