How many is too many?

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At what point does someone become the crazy cat person? If there are seven members to a household, is six cats too many?

The reason I asked is because when we were at the shelter picking up Pretty Girl and Sabrina, there was a calico name Tricky and a long haired tabby named Isabella that we really connected with as well. Pretty Girl,Sabrina,Tricky,and Isabella were together at the shelter and so know eachother quite well.

Sasha doesn't seem upset at all at the idea of another cat. When she first saw Sabrina, she hissed and spit a couple of times but by this morning they were prowling around my bedroom together seeming to be enjoying eachother's company.

I wouldn't have to worry about whether the new kitties would get along, they all know eachother. I really don't think Sasha would care, she is very out going and is already enjoying having Sabrina. And I would pick up the other two very quickly before they all had a chance to forget eachother.

What do you think?

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I say if you have enough room and can afford to feed and vet them......go for it. I never thought I would have 4. I always had 2 and then we had 3 for about 18 months and now 4 LOL. I honestly think 4 is enough for us. Our house is fairly small.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have the room. Technically Tricky would be in my parents part of the house (the basement)with Pretty Girl and Sassy. While Isabella would be in my hubby and I's part of the house (the main floor) with Sasha and Sabrina. Technically we are two seperate houses as they have their own entrance and exit. So technically we would be two, three cat households. The house is large enough and we can afford them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on your finances. Are you able to put money away every month toward emergency vet bills? do you have a credit card that can be used? If one of the cats becomes ill, will you be able to take him or her to the vet, and get the treatments and tests s/he needs?

It also depends on your life style. Do you have time to give six cats all the special attention they require? Do you have time to groom them every day, play with them, cuddle them? Keep the litter boxes clean? Do you ahve space enough for seven litter boxes?

I understand how you feel. Every since Ootay went to the Bridge I am longing to go out and adopt another adult cat from a shelter. I love having four cats. But....I am having health problems right now that has affected my income. While I will (and have done so) go into debt for my cats, I think it's better that I wait until I know what's going to happen to me.

We can't save them all. You've saved two, which is a wonderful thing. But only you and your family can decide if two more will overburden.

keb3785

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe someone can let me know that too....at last count I had 21. All outside and 1 in. they are well taken care of. fed alot. all been to the vets and all but one is fixed (and that's only cause he's a snot who won't let me get near him) We live on a farm and have the room and its really safe here too. Plus they never leave the yard (except for the snot) so I don't feel there is anything wrong with it. I take care of them and love them all! PS...they all have names too, altho I'm running out. So hopefully no one else will drop anymore off!

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

It depends on your finances. Are you able to put money away every month toward emergency vet bills? do you have a credit card that can be used? If one of the cats becomes ill, will you be able to take him or her to the vet, and get the treatments and tests s/he needs?

It also depends on your life style. Do you have time to give six cats all the special attention they require? Do you have time to groom them every day, play with them, cuddle them? Keep the litter boxes clean? Do you ahve space enough for seven litter boxes?

I understand how you feel. Every since Ootay went to the Bridge I am longing to go out and adopt another adult cat from a shelter. I love having four cats. But....I am having health problems right now that has affected my income. While I will (and have done so) go into debt for my cats, I think it's better that I wait until I know what's going to happen to me.

We can't save them all. You've saved two, which is a wonderful thing. But only you and your family can decide if two more will overburden.
We have the time, money and space. I just didn't to be the crazy cat people,LOL

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have the space, time to spend with them all, & can financially afford vet bills - then go for it. I have 7 cats plus 2 foster kittens in the house right now (plus 3 cats in an outdoor enclosure & 5 farm cats). That said, I've had huge vet bills from 2 or 3 of the cats come up at once - make sure you can afford it. (With this economy - we seem to be seeing more & more people who come here that can't afford vet care, so instead the cat is euthanized)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go for it then!!!!!

Just keep in mind that even though the four shelter cats know each other, is not a guarantee that they will get along right away, as they will be in a new place with many new smells. (and make sure they are okay with dogs! )

I know a lot of people with six cats. That would be too many for me, though I did love having four. Some day again...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ink

We have the time, money and space. I just didn't to be the crazy cat people,LOL
Too late, I think you probably already qualify for the crazy cat lady title - like 99% of us here.

Sounds like you could be the perfect home for the new kitties.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Go for it then!!!!!

Just keep in mind that even though the four shelter cats know each other, is not a guarantee that they will get along right away, as they will be in a new place with many new smells. (and make sure they are okay with dogs! )
I will keep that in mind. I don't figure they are going to run up and love on eachother. Porbably take them a day or so before they say, "hey thats right, I know you".

Originally Posted by gemlady

Too late, I think you probably already qualify for the crazy cat lady title - like 99% of us here.

Sounds like you could be the perfect home for the new kitties.
LOL, okay, I'll take the title of crazy cat lady.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can do it, I say go for it. Two more saved and in a loving home!

I live alone with five cats. Never thought I'd have that many, didn't plan on ever having that many, but could NOT give them up after all the work of socializing them (all are ex-ferals).

And today, there's not a one of them I'd ever consider rehoming. Not ever.

(But I don't trap ferals or foster kittens any more, either. LOL!)

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second everything everyone else has already said. I personally am at my max for cats having 3. It was only supposed to be one but then it was two and then we found GiGi. If I could afford to have more and had a bigger house I would take more in in a heartbeat! In your situation..Go for it!

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are thinking it over.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can afford it, go for it! I started with one, then I got another to keep the one company. Then I trapped two feral kittens whom I was going to foster then rehome, but I fell in love with them and now I have four! I live alone and these are my babies. Whimsey, my darling, in the four years that I've had him has probably cost me over $4,000 in vet bills ( and counting) , but I adore him and he is family. If I had more money and more room, I'd probably rescue two more.

Go for it!

darkimager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have one (possibly two now?) outside kitties who've picked me and i'm planning on getting two kittens when I move back to the states and people call me a crazy cat lady just becasue i'm excited about the new kittens...

Well...then again...this is comming from strickly dog people

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are most likely going to get them but we are going to wait just bit. Since it has already been a few days, most likely the adults would not really recognize each other. So we are going to wait until Sabrina and Pretty Girl have settled and are more comfortable.

Sabrina came out from under the bed three times last night to use the litter box and explore my room and the kids rooms. She came out this morning too. She isn't ready to get to know us all yet, she is still to unsettled by the changes in her life. We will be here when she is ready.

Pretty Girl finally came out from under the bed long enough to hide in the closet. She is going to take awhile longer to feel safe and comfortable. Its just the way she is. It will take her as long as it takes her.

I think that is why so many people shy away from adult cats. They want kittens who are ready to play within the first couple of days. If they just had some patience, they would find the treasures that are adult cats.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ink

I think that is why so many people shy away from adult cats. They want kittens who are ready to play within the first couple of days. If they just had some patience, they would find the treasures that are adult cats.
Indeed. You're a good person, Ink.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ink

At what point does someone become the crazy cat person?
When you literally are going crazy.

I'm at nine so far. I can feel my mind starting to fray a bit (probably unrelated to cats...). I really want to be able to rehome my three feral kittens but finding suitable homes that will pass my requirements for them is probably going to be very hard (indoor, no young children, patient adults/older kids, quieter home). I don't want kittens, one of them is going to be Trouble (yes, with a capital T) when I finally let her out into the rest of the house.

IMO, those who prefer kittens over adult cats are crazy.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with others. If you can afford it and have the time for everyone and enough space, go for it.
Of course it depends on the cats aswell which I noticed when I got my third cat. The oldest just didn't accept him so the new one moved to my friend's place. A bit later I got 'another third' and everyone is getting along just fine. And I always said that 3 is the max. amount of cats for me, but in 7 days I'm getting fourth kitty... Yeah, I'm crazy.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Indeed. You're a good person, Ink.
Once upon a time, when I still let cats go in and out, I adopted an adult Main Coon from a shelter. At the shelter she didn't want messed with and actually hissed at me when we reached in her cage to put her int he carrier. After a week or so of settling in, she became one of the coolest cats I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. She dissappeared one day. I never knew what happened to her. That was the last time I ever lets cats be indoor and outdoor.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

When you literally are going crazy.

I'm at nine so far. I can feel my mind starting to fray a bit (probably unrelated to cats...). I really want to be able to rehome my three feral kittens but finding suitable homes that will pass my requirements for them is probably going to be very hard (indoor, no young children, patient adults/older kids, quieter home). I don't want kittens, one of them is going to be Trouble (yes, with a capital T) when I finally let her out into the rest of the house.

IMO, those who prefer kittens over adult cats are crazy.
Finding good homes can be difficult. I wouldn't rule out families with small children. If they had small children, I would arrange an interview at their house where you can see how the children behave (really this should be done with older children that should know better but frequently don't). I have a two year but he already knows how to be nice. He knows that you don't grab ears or tails and he knows how to pet properly not pound with his hand. By the time my older kids were four, they were able to be allowed to hold newborn kittens (not unsupervised of course). If the younger child is well behaved around animals and they have a quiet place for the kitty to escape to and maybe a tall tree for the cat to get up on when it wants to be alone, they might be good canidates.

Oh and I agree. I would take an adult cat over a kitten any day.

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I agree with others. If you can afford it and have the time for everyone and enough space, go for it.
Of course it depends on the cats aswell which I noticed when I got my third cat. The oldest just didn't accept him so the new one moved to my friend's place. A bit later I got 'another third' and everyone is getting along just fine. And I always said that 3 is the max. amount of cats for me, but in 7 days I'm getting fourth kitty... Yeah, I'm crazy.
That is something we will have to take into consideration as well. We may decide given Pretty Girl's timidity, that it might be better not to rock the boat. The cats that are here will always be considered first before any new animals are brought in.