How many is too many?

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think that's too many. I say as long as you can room, feed and keep up with them, it's fine, especially if there's 7 family members to help care for them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ink

Finding good homes can be difficult. I wouldn't rule out families with small children. If they had small children, I would arrange an interview at their house where you can see how the children behave (really this should be done with older children that should know better but frequently don't). I have a two year but he already knows how to be nice. He knows that you don't grab ears or tails and he knows how to pet properly not pound with his hand. By the time my older kids were four, they were able to be allowed to hold newborn kittens (not unsupervised of course). If the younger child is well behaved around animals and they have a quiet place for the kitty to escape to and maybe a tall tree for the cat to get up on when it wants to be alone, they might be good canidates.
They don't like being walked up to, stood above, any sort of loud or sudden noises, fast movements. They even have to be picked up carefully if one wants to avoid stressing them. As I said semi-ferals.
Cute things, very sweet and do enjoy pettings. But not ready to go anywhere unless going to a home that understands their needs.

It would be extremely irresponsible of me to send any of them into a home with a young child - at this point they could still be a danger to a child.

Now if the kittens would stop playing in their water... I may just loose my mind sooner rather than later if this habit stays around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

They don't like being walked up to, stood above, any sort of loud or sudden noises, fast movements. They even have to be picked up carefully if one wants to avoid stressing them. As I said semi-ferals.
Cute things, very sweet and do enjoy pettings. But not ready to go anywhere unless going to a home that understands their needs.

It would be extremely irresponsible of me to send any of them into a home with a young child - at this point they could still be a danger to a child.

Now if the kittens would stop playing in their water... I may just loose my mind sooner rather than later if this habit stays around.
I see why you need to watch who they go to so carefully. Eventually, the right home will come along.

LOL, playing in the water.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a thread for the cat forum

Didn't really think anyone would talk you out of adding another did ya?

My personal cat limit is different than my dog limit. I like to have 3 dogs, but only like one cat at a time.
I own reptiles and the reptiles and dogs get along great, but the cat and reptiles not so much. Cats and dogs yes.
Please post some pictures of your kitties and welcome

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One more item for your consideration - it's not just can you afford them now, can you afford them all when they're seniors? Can you afford for them all to have cancer at the same time? Can you afford the imaging, the surgeries, the meds?

We have 7 cats and 2 people. Of course part of the issue with space and cats getting along is their personalities, and in that respect we've been lucky. But once you have more than 3 cats, it can take a LOT of work. And a lot of money.

You have to make sure you have time for them all. And as to the money, we've worked out an arrangement with the vet whereby every time we can, we pay money, and they stick it on account. We've used it up with varying problems in our kitties, but we're building it back up again. Four of our seven are now seven years old, so they're all aging at the same time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good question. If every single one of your cats took ill right now and it would cost around 3-5k for each cats care. Would you have the money to cover these expenses?

While I can afford their care, if every single one took ill at once and to the extent that it cost 3-5k I couldn't afford it. But, then who has a spare 30-40 thousand dollars laying around? The average working middle class family does not have this sort of funds.

Does this mean that only those who are upper class should be allowed pets in case of the eventual possibility that there could be a crisis that needs that much money? On that same train of thought, caring for a child is even more expensive and caring for a spouse who can't work is, too. Should these privileges only be allowed for those who are rich?

Originally Posted by cococat

I own reptiles and the reptiles and dogs get along great, but the cat and reptiles not so much.
My cats view my geckos as potential tasty treats. They don't have to get along, but the cats do have to stay out of my gecko room.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on a lot of factors. First and foremost to me is the financial factor. If you couldn't handle a surprise $200 dollar vet bill for each cat in your household, you should cut down. It's amazing how little emergencies always happen in the same month,

Second I would consider the cats. If you're already having fighting/behavioral issues with your current number, don't add any more! I think the higher you go the closer your get to tipping that lovely balance in the wrong direction.

Third is a space issue. If you don't have enough space for each kitty to have his own private place as well as room for plenty of potty and food stations, be wary.

It really just depends on the household and the individual cats. Right now I have 3 males in a 700sq ft one bedroom apartment. It works well, but I'm definitely at full capacity.

At the clinic we have 8 clinic cats, 3 adults up for adoption, and 3 kittens up for adoption. So that's a grand total of 14 cats (not including the select boarders that get free roam when they come in) roaming around the app. 4,000 sq ft clinic. Usually it's a very harmonious group, though lately one of our clinic cats has been getting in stare down drag out fights with one of our adult adoptees. So right now we're back to using about 6 Feliway diffusers around the clinic and it's helping, so....

The main mistake I see clients making is only considering their wants. They'll already have 4 cats in a 2 bedroom house and then they come in and see this adorable kitten that's so cute and sweet and all reasoning flies out the door. Trust me, I would adopt every single cat I could afford, but I have to consider the cats I've already got. It's a very delicate balancing act to be entered into with extreme caution.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

...Does this mean that only those who are upper class should be allowed pets in case of the eventual possibility that there could be a crisis that needs that much money? ...
It was more of a point, and I hope you know that. It's one thing to consider their care as growing kitties - it's another potential issue as seniors. The point is to consider when all your kitties would become seniors, as they tend to have more health issues.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

It was more of a point, and I hope you know that. It's one thing to consider their care as growing kitties - it's another potential issue as seniors. The point is to consider when all your kitties would become seniors, as they tend to have more health issues.
A couple aging at a time isn't as much of an issue. Preventative care and planning can help with that.
But you stepped around what I was asking - think back a couple years to the households that had several pets made ill from the Masterfoods recalls. If you had all 7 damaged from food like that now, and all 7 needed thousands of dollars of vet care - then what? It could total upwards of $40k. Could any of us handle an extra debt of that much?

At what point in a health crisis is it too many? Would two be too many for an individual?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purrsonalities are definitely important when considering new additions. If you have three cats, two bold and one shy, and want to add a fourth - you might think about adding another shy cat to give the one you already have some comfort in company.

Purrsonalities played a part in my adoption of the kittens, for sure. Allen, from my first rescue litter, needs a "buddy". He first lost Ollie (his brother) in the 2007 poisoning, then Oscar (my daughter's cat) when my daughter moved out, and then Jasmine (the Yorkie) when Jaz passed away last summer. When Allen doesn't have someone "special" to hang out with, he beats on his sisters unmercifully.

I adopted Spencer because he adore me - and I him - but also with the hope that he would become Allen's new buddy. It's taking time, but praise the Lord, the two of them are becoming close.

I have the space and money for more cats, but I won't even house-sit another one (again) because I don't want to upset the balance between my five.

We all just do the best we can with the information currently at hand.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

A couple aging at a time isn't as much of an issue. Preventative care and planning can help with that.
But you stepped around what I was asking - think back a couple years to the households that had several pets made ill from the Masterfoods recalls. If you had all 7 damaged from food like that now, and all 7 needed thousands of dollars of vet care - then what? It could total upwards of $40k. Could any of us handle an extra debt of that much?

At what point in a health crisis is it too many? Would two be too many for an individual?
But you answered this question - there are very few people who could handle such a crisis. I think one has to plan for the probable, not the statistical anomalies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We do have the money,even as they age. Having been back to the shelter and seeing the kitties again, we will be bringing only one home. Originally thought it was Isabella, but actually the one I fell in love with was Missy. They look almost adentical to eachother except Missy has a bit of orange on her face. Anyway, so Missy will come home in a couple of weeks after Sabrina has settled in a little more.

Tricky the calico really wouldn't mesh with the cats we already have. So Missy it will be. Although I will change her name to Isabella when she comes home simply because that is how I think of her now,LOL.

This is definitly not a snap decision and Missy is no kitten. Here is the link to her pet finder add.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12302687