How many cats do you have and how many is your limit

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

I had three until last summer. The two I have are high maintenance as they have both had urinary problems. I have to feed them special food from the vet's office. I would love to have a yard full since I have an outside enclosure due to hubby's allergies. But I think two is all I can afford the bills for. I believe having a cat is a serious commitment and I want to be able to pay for what they need. So I decided not to add another cat when Max died last summer.
I totally agree that when taking on a pet it is a serious commitment. Just thinking of the cost of a bag or can of food isn't enough. Remember the vet costs, too, and possible emergencies. And of course the time...the more fosters I have, the less time I have for my kitties. And 7 litterboxes means a lot of scooping!

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We currently have 15- our 16th kitty passed away a few months ago at 20 years old- and I think I am at my limit. Husband is past his limit, but he knew that when he married “usâ€.
All were offically adopted from the shelter I worked at and fostered for. Most of our cats were ferals, but we also took in several with aggression issues or disabilities- I am a sucker for unadoptables. They are all altered, kept strictly indoors and now have full time stay at home cat mom to take care of them.

I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t imagine life without any of these guys but far in the future weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d probably like to only have 3-5…of course that hopefully wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be for another 20 years or so.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently have two with me and really no limit as long as the cats can get enough love, space, care, and attention. I'm looking to add two more in a few months.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

We currently have 15- our 16th kitty passed away a few months ago at 20 years old- and I think I am at my limit. Husband is past his limit, but he knew that when he married “usâ€.
All were offically adopted from the shelter I worked at and fostered for. Most of our cats were ferals, but we also took in several with aggression issues or disabilities- I am a sucker for unadoptables. They are all altered, kept strictly indoors and now have full time stay at home cat mom to take care of them.

I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t imagine life without any of these guys but far in the future weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d probably like to only have 3-5…of course that hopefully wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be for another 20 years or so.

(that's all I wanted to say)

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two cats, but a third or fourth would be lovely, always a cat to cuddle...at least I hope so!

On the other hand, there's the cost factor and that limits us currently to these two, actually they're giving us a hard time, especially Carter with his diabetes which requires a lot of vet time
But their loving ways around us absolutely make up for that!!!!!

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 and I think I may be at my limit. Then again I have had a desire to try and bring in two kittens to see if the others will accept them. I fear my Calico wouldn't allow it if I tried, but lately I keep browsing craigslist. Also this weekend I spent two days at one of the local shelters and almost adopted two little furballs. When I went back on the second day one of the two was on hold and it was the one I fell in love with. I was happy and sad at the same time.

The other thing that held me back was he was a boy. I just went through with the pu surgery on my male after multiple emergency vet visits and I don't know if I want to go through that again.

Meanwhile my mom is down to 7 after she lost two this year and two dogs. She is definitely at her limit.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My limit would be four. Last winter when we had Cleo, things didn't work out so well because at the time Tucson was still the King of the House and they just didn't get along, plus Cleo was becoming ill and Tucson had been diagnosed with FIV. But I'm pretty sure things would work out better if I planned more. Poor Cleo didn't last as long as I hoped she would, and then Tucson died a few months later. My experiences with a multi cat household aren't good.

Anyway, four cats would be my maximum (I even have names picked out!). But for now, thank goodness I only have one, and he's my big fur baby.

meldonn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have 10 but I think 6 will be my limit. I started out with just 1 male and when two preggo were dumpped into my neighborhood so I just had to take them in and they had their babies. One mama had 5 kittens and the other mama had 6 kittens. My aunt took two of the kittens and a friend is taking two more. We have decided to keep the 2 mama's (which we are working on getting them fixed soon) and 3 of the kittens (which will all be fixed when they get old enough). Still need to find homes for 4 other kittens. Thank goodness we live in the country and they can play and make a mess all they want in their cat run. Now my family is starting to call me the Cat Lady.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats now. I would love to have at least 1 more but I live in an apartment and can't have anymore than that. I would love to get a Persian but not now.

dejolane

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well since my Wife decided she couldn't stand to let go of 2 of our 9 month old Fosters

(who we raised from 2 days old after they were abandoned)

after we have been trying to get them adopted via weekend shows at local pet stores

for several months, we are now up to 8 indoor "Resident" Kitties.

We are expecting a few new Foster kittens sometime soon**, which will put us at 10 or 11.

** From the local Rescue we volunteer for - ours are all neutered.

This does not include my Garden / Ferals of course (currently 6)  

Wifey "thought" that 6 indoor Kitties was her limit.

As for me, with our current home, I'd probably say 10 plus Fosters.

Outside (unadoptable and Ferals) I can't imagine turning one away.

Actually, my long term goal is to have a Sanctuary for "unadoptable" Kitties, so who knows my limit?

Only time will tell...  

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to save all of them but I know I can't. I have 4 indoor cats and 1 feral cat living in my garage. I am at my limit. I also have 2 dogs and 1 horse. I am at my limit. I am able to keep them all vetted, on premium foods and well cared for. I don't think I can handle any more.