How long til my foster cat gives birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Calling anyone who can help Sarthur2 Sarthur2 handsome kitty handsome kitty StefanZ StefanZ please help. I was bring a very pregnant cat into foster and as I walking approaching the drive way the cat carrier broke. The cat ran into the field next to my house. This was yesturday 6.30pm. We searched until.midnight then out again at 7am. We spotted her at 3pm but she was in 12ft brambles and every time we tried to reach her she backed off until we lost track of her. The rspca have now loaned us 2 traps which we have set up. I just don't know what else to do. I feel so sorry for her. I'm kicking myself for not checking the cat carrier. We've set the traps and are checking every 2 hours. Can you offer any advise?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting warmed food in the traps? Anything that might be especially stinky and draw her towards them. You could also set up some shelters for her if you think she's very close to delivery.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried putting warmed food in the traps? Anything that might be especially stinky and draw her towards them. You could also set up some shelters for her if you think she's very close to delivery.
Good advice.

We are also calling on @Red Top Rescue for good measure.

As I see it, here are two problems.  If she isnt popping yet, its a quite normal catching, will make sooner or later.

But if she is pooping, and is scared, she will hide as well she can, and deliver in there.  

If so, your next line of defence will be to try and catch her and her litter  afterwards. Which isnt easy, but not impossible if you know where the kittens are.

I presume she is shy, and normally wont come forward to any human?

Would she come forward NOW when high preg and knowing she and her children need desperately help?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting her trapped is the only solution now.

Be sure the traps have been cleaned of any former cat smells left behind.

They tend to maintain the smell of fear and adrenaline left behind, so use any household spray cleaner and spray them down, wait a few minutes then hose off very well.

Allow to dry in the sun, hopefully it's sunny!

Then they are ready to trap.

Place in hidey type spots, not out in the open, under bush, and if nothing around at all then at least along side of a bldg.

Do not cover it

Use tuna and the tuna water, water really carries the smell.

Chicken of the sea is mushy tuna pieces which work great.

Then stay away, do not think you are fooling her by hiding.

Be away but in earshot of the trap closing, because when it does, you need to immediately run and cover it with a towel so she doesn't injure herself.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Best of luck! I hope you can trap her quickly. She will surely be hungry! So sorry this happened.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok guys , unfortunately it is winter here and the outside temp is now -1° . I've put the traps in the bramble where was last seen. She is very timid and the second she saw us she ran. We've halved the blanket she came in on and placed a piece in each trap. We've used tuna and pilchards it's 10pm here and we've just come indoors to warm up a little. Going back out in an hour and will check through the night.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ she is very timid. When I went to rescue her she was in a garden green house. She tried desperately to get in to the corner and hid her face.when she saw us today she kept moving further back into the bramble and each time we cut into the thicket she moved again. I'm frantic with worry

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What will be very helpful is that she is very prego and very food driven.

Pregnant cats are hungry often and I have seen many times how much easier it is to trap a pregnant cat, they are braver for that food, so don't stress yourself out about it, she will get in the trap, just as long as it is on stable ground and doesn't rock at all when she steps in to it.

Be sure if that trap has a sliding open back door on it that it is latched! My first time trapping I learned this the hard way and always tell people to latch it!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure it was a good thing to put a blanket piece in the traps, she might smell her own fear on it.

She's terrified but will still get good and hungry, but don't let her hear you coming around either, she will hold out as long as she can until she thinks nobody has been around for a while and it's safe.

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alost 3am so calling it a night. Back out at 6am. Have removed her blanket. Will keep you posted. Thank you for your help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you! I'm praying she will be in the trap for you in 3 hours' time. I've been so worried about her. Get some rest!

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No luck this morning. We desperately need more traps. I'm also now constructing nests for her. We are putting nests all along the fence line in the brambles. We are not putting food in but making small shelters with lots of linen in the hope that she finds a nest . That way we can keep checking nests. If she does deliver and we find kittens but no moggy am I ok to remove kittens and put them with sofi and then lay trap for mom around nest site?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you should do that. It's too cold for them out there. Then you will likely be able to get mom after that.

Also, have you gone around and spoken with neighbors to see if anyone has seen her? She's likely looking for a nesting place.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know just when she is due?

Are the traps you have set cleaned of former trapped cat smells? This is a biggie, they would rather starve to death then enter a cage that wreaks of fear.

The old tuna needs refreshing but sure you know this.

Not sure what brambles are, trying to get a visual on where she was last seen and you are putting traps.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WEve FOUND HER!!!!! 6am this morning we were checking traps and bingo!! There she was in one of the traps! !!! She is now in my bedroom with me having had a good check over, 2 tins of sardines, kitten food & krm. She was so cold. It was -3 last night. I'm so happy , thank you all so much. I will post pics but at the mo I'm just letting her wander.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is still pregnant. Seeing vet today. She was cold and hungry. She had a good feed and is now sleeping. Will keep you updated