How long til my foster cat gives birth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fantastic! She has 4 beautiful, healthy babies! Well done all around! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 desperate for advice. Had a new pregnant stray in.sofi is still in bathroom with her kittens. Lucky is now penned downstairs. Can I move sofi into my bedroom and put lucky into bathroom? Sofi is doing so well I don't want to disrupt her but lucky due is any day now I think .she is lactating and I think she needs to go into bathroom asap for nesting. So, is it OK to move sofi and babies into spare room?

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 you are a star. Thanks for getting back to me so fast. Right I'm going move sofi into bedroom with all of her stuff and babies. Lucky will go upstairs bathroom with all fresh nesting equipment. Her temp is 98.7f and she is lactating. Have a feeling we may have kittens tonight lol. She is lovely although I have a fee bites from rescuing her . I've tried clipping fur around jopples because she is very matted but she's not having it. Also there's a lot of flea dirt although no actual fleas.

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I meant nipples not jopples ?!? Lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. Where there's flea dirt, there's fleas. You'll want to put a topical on her neck to kill the fleas before the babies come, or they will get fleas too, which is dangerous. You may want to wipe her down with a warm, damp cloth to help clean her a bit. I wouldn't worry about the fur around her nipples. It will be worked away during nursing and her own licking. Let me know how Sofi handles the move.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys . Will keep you informed.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've left sofi where she is as she is very settled and put lucky in my room. I have quite a big room and have set up a pen for now just whilst I get organised. I will double pen her so she will have a huge amount of space and will put in various nesting materials. I've flea'd her and tried to cut some of her knotted fur away.she was very hungry and thirsty poor thing. I know absolutely nothing about this little girl. She definitely has milk in her teats. Babies are moving around. Her auxillary temp is 37.1°c at last check this afternoon. I've just finished her pen and she ate another bowl of food and she is now out cold and snoring. She is whacked. I to a pic of her when she came arrived in the single pen. I've attached another half size so she has loads of room now. The lights are dim and I'm going to leave her to sleep. Will keep you posted

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is awesome! Glad you've got her all settled now. She is surely relieved to have food and shelter now in her time of need. If babies are moving a lot, it's likely they haven't dropped and not quite time yet. Glad the babies will now benefit from mom's improved diet. You can give her some KMR for calcium as well. Also happy that Sofi remains content in the bathroom.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will update you with sofi kittens weights shortly. If lucky is producing milk would that suggest she is very close do you think? I will at some krm thank you

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do we have at the moment. .... Temp 37.1°c, producing milk, sleeping alot, purring as soon as walk in, likes her belly rubbed. That's about it unfortunately. Not much to go on I guess.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens weight yesterday
Kitten one. 132g born now 174g
Kitten two 124g 178g
Kitten three 114g 132g
Kitten four 122g 172g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens' weights are good. They are gaining weight very nicely!

Pregnant cats can get their milk in a good week or so before delivery. She sounds very content!

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is so chilled she's making me feel tired lol. Just weighed sofis again since yesterday and they are gaining well. She is a lovely mom and is managing so well. I've tried to have a look for gender but they all look like boys to me. They all look a bit puffy down below. Probably doesn't help that my eyesight is flaming terrible. Okie dokei. Thanks so much with your help today. As always you're a star. I'll keep you posted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the updates! It's easier to sex the kittens when they are a few weeks old. Have a nice evening. [emoji]128522[/emoji]