How long til my foster cat gives birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Caramel and liquorice are still down aren't they. I was pretty bad at supplementing but got better as they day went on. I've just given them their last milk for today. Will do the same for liquorice and caramel tomorrow. Moggy is still eating and seeems really happy. Thanks for the guidance

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are lower than the others. Sherbet is really growing, huh?

Supplementing gets easier the more you do it.

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sherbet is alot bigger than the others. Liquorice is still tiny as you know. Should I just supplement caramel and liquorice tomorrow and continue to weigh all of them and if any don't gain as much as we'd like give them a little too?

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a little update. I'm now working to your "rule of thumb" and so far so good. Just wanted you to know that all kittens are doing well and gaining steadily. I'm literally weighing and supplementing as and when needed. Alls well with all the kittens and cats in foster. Thank you everyone who has supported and given such fab advice over these last few weeks. I will certainly stay in touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so pleased to hear that everyone is gaining weight and doing well. The supplementing really helps once you and the kittens got the hang of it!

Thanks for the update :).

bemba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a colourful litter! Just love the blue calico girl :) 

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New update have only needed to supplement liquorice today, the others are holding their own. They are in the playpen with the door open so moggy can come and go as she pleases and she is a happy mommy. Momma's litter are doing well, 7 weekd okd now, and I'm so pleased all round.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at those precious babies! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128525[/emoji]

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Momma cat has 5 kittens @ 7 wks and moggy has 5 kittens @ 3 wks. Problem I'm having is that the oldermomma has pretty much abandoned her kittens. I think she is season and just keeps sitting in the high window ledge. Kittens are eating wet and dry well but momma isnt cleaning the.. They look a bit mucky poor things. The problem I have is that 2 of the kittens keep going in moggys pen (I leave all the play pen doors open) and feeding off moggy. Moggy is happy to feed them and clean them but I'm worried that it might affect the new babies feeding. Should I allow moggy to take on the older kittens or separate them? Thank you all. Would especially like to hear from Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The two older kittens are comfort suckling, but yes, they are getting milk. A little comfort here and there is okay, but as Moggy's kittens are only 3 weeks, and there are five of them, the milk really needs to go to them, especially since you've had to supplement. Is Moggy dripping milk? And how much are the older ones nursing? Is it 5 minutes or 15?

You can also try putting momma cat in a room alone with her kittens 2-3 times a day for a bit to see if she'll let them nurse. It's her heat cycle doing this, as otherwise she would still be content to nurse her 7-week-olds. She should cycle out of her heat within a week, but she's probably ready to be spayed now, as she'll cycle again soon and be miserable again.

Are the little ones still gaining well?

As far as momma cat not cleaning her kittens, just give them each a daily once over with a warm damp rag, or anytime faces and rear ends need it, to make up for the neglect.

Busy household you've got there :).

Last edited:

donnak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Moggys babies are doing well and gaining steadily. I'm still supplementing liquorice just to help him out a little, but all in all they are all doing well. Moggy isnt driiping milk and I do always make sure the new babies are fed and satisfied before allowing the two older ones on. Even then I give them only ten min then take them away if necessary. Sometimes they just fall to sleep with the babies but also they seem to nuzzle uo to moggy to have a clean up. They follow her alot. Momma is due for spaying a week on weds. The kittens will be 8 and half weeks by then. Momma then will recover with me before being rehomed when the kittens are 10 weeks old.

Last edited: