How heavy are your little ones?

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Batman is about 12 pounds (and 11 months old...) I don't think he's over-weight but when he's due for his vet check-up, I'm going to double-check that with them.

He gets measured dry food all day and gets 3oz wet food at dinner time.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Shareena--3 years--9.1#
Miss Patchwillow--3 years--10.5#
Goldy--2 1/4 years--6.7#
Iris--1 1/2 years--10.8#
Cali--1 1/2 years--11-11.5# (she won't hold still for the scale)
Merlin--11 months--7.1#

Shareena and Miss Patchwillow are littermates. They're both really solid through the middle and I suspect they could each lose half a pound or so with more exercise.

Goldy was abandoned when she was 6-7 months old and pregnant. The pregnancy may have stunted her growth, but I think she is also naturally a small cat.

Iris and Cali are Goldy's babies. I think we can safely say their daddy was a B-I-G cat. They may still do some growing.

Merlin is an Abyssinian and will probably top out at 8-9 pounds.

I free feed dry food, putting out a measured amount morning and evening for a total of 3 1/3 to 3 1/2 cups a day. I was feeding TOTW, but Shareena and Merlin can't handle it. I switched over to Authority Chicken and Rice and everybody seems to be doing well. I also split one can of Friskies Prime Filets turkey or beef among all six cats once a day. Not the highest quality, but it's the only wet food Shareena and Miss Patchwillow will eat. The days I give them beef I have to lock Merlin in his cage with the turkey food until the girls have finished theirs. He loves the beef (and any other kind of food), but it gives him the runs.

Since I do free feeding I can't tell how much each cat is eating. My guess is that Goldy eats the least and Merlin eats the most (hey, he's a growing boy).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sven (my CRF kitty) is 7.5 lbs and underweight. Callie is 8 lbs and just right, Stinkpot is 10 lbs and just right, and Darko is 16 lbs and a porker. Problem is, we free feed, and cannot do a measured amount because Darko will eat it all and the rest will not get their portion!! Sven and Callie refuse to eat canned food...we have tried every brand and type (pate vs gravies vs shredded, etc) known to man and they just walk away. Until Sven was diagnosed with CRF (just last week), we were feeding them Kirkland's Untra Premium, mixed with Wellness Core and Purina One for Sensitive Stomach. (Stinkpot has the sensitive stomach, and we got the Wellness Core for him thinking maybe he has allergies to grains, and he HATES it!) But now that Sven has CRF, the Vet says absolutely NO Wellness Core because of the high protein level. So, thata bag is going to a neighbor and has been replaced by Iams Multi Stage Renal, which I am trying to feed ONLY to Sven...should not have a problem with that since these RX foods (I'm told) are not that appetizing. The only problem I am having is getting him to eat it, when the other food is still out there for the others!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not exact on mine.... Persy is about 3 years old and weighs maybe 7 lbs, he is a long and skinny guy. Pandora is a little over 4 yrs and weighs 9 lbs, Elle is a small, round
cat and weighs about 7, Nemesis, gosh, I think she is 4-5 yrs old and weighs 8-9 lbs. I don't know how old Deedle is, maybe 4 also, he's kind of a small cat and probably weighs 7-8 lbs. Then I have my chunky monkeys
Apollo is about 2 yrs old probably weighs 12-13 lbs, Chaos I have absolutely no idea how old he is, at least 4 I'd say, and also weighs 12-13 (maybe a little more) and Atlas, aka Fatman who weighs about 14, but he is all belly
They are all free fed

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, I think I have the smallest furbaby so far: my 10 month Imogen is barely 5 pounds. I'm hoping she'll round off to about 6 or so eventually. She's got a very tiny frame, though.

Friend of mine who's an experienced cat owner came to meet her for the first time recently and couldn't stop remarking how Imogen was the smallest cat she'd ever seen.

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to the bathroom with all of them and weighed them.

Little Cat- 17 pounds. (her name doesn't fit, lol!)
Sonny- 16 pounds.
Joey 12 pounds.
Josh- 7 pounds (skinny little fella)
Sissy- 14 pounds
Peaches- 17 pounds
Patches- 6 pounds
Sam- 8 pounds.
Mup- 6 pounds.
Scooter- 9 pounds! (he is the baby, that chunky monkey)

They eat regular dry cat food (a mouse or two or a mole) and whatever we might have had for supper that night! LOL
They also get treats before bed.

They have food avaliable to them all day when its warm outside and they can go in and out but during the winter they have it 2 times a day (morning and night) to keep them from being sumo cats, they don't go out as much during the winter so they sit and eat, and eat...AND EAT and get pretty hefty. Lol!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Iambic

Friend of mine who's an experienced cat owner came to meet her for the first time recently and couldn't stop remarking how Imogen was the smallest cat she'd ever seen.
I've heard the same thing about Holland. She is basically the size of a big kitten. I'm not complaining...

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question for those with Orientals?

Zachary is part Oriental, is over 3 yrs old and weighs about 9 lbs. He is big boned but I feel he is too thin. Vet says that for his body type he is ok. (She says to think of him like a Greyhound - thin and all muscle).

I cannot feel ribs, but definitely can feel backbone and other bones. He's a picky eater and never seems to eat like the others. His energy level is endless and does not sleep as much at the other cats.

For those that have Orientals....can you feel each and every backbone? Are they thin with no body fat?

Forrest is perfect size at 11.5 lbs (DSH male - 3yrs) - but still smaller in stature than Zachary. Lilly is a bit overweight at 12 lbs (DSH - 7 years).

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My youngest is almost 15lbs he's 13mths tomorrow.

The 4.5yo male is roughly 16lbs or so...

Finally my turns 5 next month female is about 10lbs.

Their food? Dry free choice- royal canin and california naturals, plus they eat wet twice daily.

Their all ragdolls though, so they should be on the bigger side, especially the males.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy is at least 15 pounds easily. Gosh I should know all this instead of guessing. I haven't weighed them lately. Penny is significantly lighter and more svelte.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My eldest Kuce (17 years) is seeing the vet on Monday for her senior exam, weight and bloodwork. Her last weight was 12.5 pounds though she feels like she lost a little.
She is also the lightest but also one of the stockiest due to her possibly being a Turkish Van. She's also a rescue. She's on Blue Buffalo brand right now for dried and Fancy Feast canned (the only canned food she will eat - I've tried almost everything else and its paws down with her.)

Next is Lvubug at 10 years and at last checkup he was 17 pounds. He needs to lose a couple of pounds - we're working on it. He's also a large stocky cat with huge paws and head. He was found as a stray at 11.5 pounds and estimated to be 2-3 pounds underweight. He'll eat mostly canned and some dried Royal Canin Maine Coon.

Last is Lil' Jag who'll be 6 years in August. Also a stray found at 3.5 months old. She weighs in at 13.6 pounds and needs to lose 3 pounds. Funny thing is she loves treats and dried food not so much canned.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We talked about a few different options (Purina DM was one of them and I made the same comments as you) but we agreed on Orijen since it is lower in calories per cup and he is the kind of cat who likes quantity (he whines when he can see the bottom of the dry food bowl)
I wanted to come back to this... The fish version is different... EVO Herring and Salmon has less Calories Than Orijen 6-Fish, both by cup and KG... I am not sure about the regular version, but for what you are saying that is not the case...
I feed the Fish Versions as Bugsy is allergic to chicken. I don't like to depend on one food only, due to recalls, and a cat becoming finicky (lucky is a master on this), so I am now mixing both. But yes, in my case EVO is LESS caloric, even though the protein and fat are higher...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Both cats weighed in at 7.2 kgs (16 lbs) last week, and both need to lose at least a kilogram. My husband sabotages any diet I put Jamie on by letting him share his food when I'm not around, or giving him a second breakfast, and Miezi lives up to her nickname (the Moocher) by hitting up the neighbors. She's perfected the "starving kitty" routine, and has been known to climb through open windows and help herself.

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Domino is a big boy--13.8 pounds, and he's about 2.5 years old.
Rosalita is a teeny girl--6.8 pounds, and she's about 1.5 years old
Butters was SO small when he came to us (6.6), but he's now up to 7.2! Yay! And he's going to be one on April 1st (we decided, anyway).

I read that your cat SHOULD weigh between 8-10 pounds, but Rosalita seems perfect to me (she's just all-around tiny), and Butters could probably be good with being 8-9 pounds (he's pretty small for a boy, too). But honestly, even my vet said that Domino's "perfect" at 13.8 pounds. Sometimes I worry about him -- he's a BIG boy. He's got the typical neutered male "flubb," but overall, I think he'd be too thin at 10 pounds for sure. I'd be a bit happier with 12 or 13, I think. I equate his extra pound to my extra 20. I'm perfectly healthy, and I can run 5 miles, but just imagine how fast I'd be 20 pounds less, right?

We're hoping the two new kitties will "exercise" him a bit more. I'm kind of scratching my head here, because he's on "indoor" formula, but really, the other two need a normal formula to try to get some weight on. I may just keep the indoor formula but give the two small ones extra wet food.

fitzy819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Piper was underweight when we got her. She was 8-10 mos old and weighed 4lbs. We have had her a little over a month and she has put on almost a pound. We were told she would probably just be a very small cat though.

She eats half a 5.5-6oz can of wet a day and she has dry available to her which she mostly eats at night while everyone is asleep. I would say she usually eats about 1/4 a cup of dry a day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Staceyloobug

I read that your cat SHOULD weigh between 8-10 pounds, but Rosalita seems perfect to me (she's just all-around tiny), and Butters could probably be good with being 8-9 pounds (he's pretty small for a boy, too). But honestly, even my vet said that Domino's "perfect" at 13.8 pounds. Sometimes I worry about him -- he's a BIG boy. He's got the typical neutered male "flubb," but overall, I think he'd be too thin at 10 pounds for sure. I'd be a bit happier with 12 or 13, I think. I equate his extra pound to my extra 20. I'm perfectly healthy, and I can run 5 miles, but just imagine how fast I'd be 20 pounds less, right?

We're hoping the two new kitties will "exercise" him a bit more. I'm kind of scratching my head here, because he's on "indoor" formula, but really, the other two need a normal formula to try to get some weight on. I may just keep the indoor formula but give the two small ones extra wet food.
NO all cats should Not be 8-10 lbs.. that is the AVE ... so using the Bell curve thinking ... that means 25% are under that wt , 50% are that wt and 25% are over that wt...

or using a bell with deviation... 33% , 34% and 33% respectively...

ASK your Vet about the proper wt for each cat...

IMHO regular food and maybe you play with him more... give MORE wet to him

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NO all cats should Not be 8-10 lbs.. that is the AVE
ASK your Vet about the proper wt for each cat...

Autumn is slightly underweight, Quincy is still growing but at a healthy weight / growing rate, and the others have varying 'ideal weights' - Bumper's idead weight is 13lbs and Magnum is 14lbs - they have larger statures, just like people do

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our two "little" kitties aren't small compared to some of yours, but Flowerbelle weighs 7 pounds and is pretty boney. Vet says she's OK - another pound or so on her wouldn't hurt. But... she just doesn't eat much and plays a lot.

Ming Loy has a frame that is not much bigger than Flowerbelle's, but weighs around 10 pounds - maybe 11. She's chubby. She just loves to eat, because she also gets a lot of exercise. Vet says it'd be good if we could get a pound or two off of her, but he's not overly concerned about it.

Shelly and Lazlo are looooong, tall cats. They both weigh around 14 pounds but are very lean. Same frame size.

Tuxedo and Spooky are frame-size inbetween Flowerbelle/Ming Loy and Lazlo/Shelly. We have worked SO HARD to get Tuxedo up to a weight of 11 3/4 pounds.
When he was really anemic, he was down to 7 pounds, and he was just skin and bones at that weight. It's taken four+ years, but we finally busted the 11 pound barrier.
He's very round now, and it's just what we wanted - a little "cushion" of weight to work with in case the problem with the anemia flares up again. Worry about his weight is the last thing we need if that happens, so we want to keep him up here. Vet would not be unhappy if he hit 12 pounds or a little more.

Spooky is varies seasonally. Her winter weight has been coming off, and she's probably around 10.5 pounds now.

Billy.... is the one we have to worry about. He LOVES to eat. None of our other cats really even like human food, and we never had to worry about leaving a bowl of soup on a table for a few minutes... but with Bill around, can't even have a cookie wrapped in plastic wrap within reach or he'll try to eat it. I could NOT believe it when we were having HOT - spicy hot - korean soup - and I got up to get something - and came back to find him eating it!
That was when I realized he'd eat just about anything (except vegetables
). Billy probably weighs about 16-17 pounds - he's due for his annual, so we'll find out (don't have a scale in the house). But he should probably be somewhere between 12-14 pounds, because his frame is close in size to Lazlo/Shelly, but not quite as big. But he's a big boy. Our big problem is he loves to play - but not running around. He doesn't go for the laser at all, won't chase wand toys - only enjoys them if he's sitting and tries to catch them as they zing past him. And tossing treats doesn't work, because we live in a small space, so there's always a cat at hand to grab it.

....what's hysterical is to watch Billy and Flowerbelle play together. THAT gets him running around. We were a little worried about him tackling her at first - he is just gigantic compared to her. But she is one tough little girl, and she always comes out the victor, with Bill running off to hide under the couch.

rod

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got an 18.2 pound two and a half year old male cat. Big guy! He's not a blob, he is amazingly athletic!

I must check on the brands of the cat food and re-post!