How far pregnant do you think my cat is?

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I posted this photo in the intro I made. I am guessing she is about 5 weeks pregnant, but not 100% sure. Her belly is getting bigger by the day, her nipples are getting extremely big. She is eating like a typical pregnant woman haha, she is being VERY affectionate and lives by my side. She is only comfortable on her back at the moment. Are there any things that I can look for that might give me a more accurate guess on how far along she is?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very difficult to tell. Honestly, the best thing to figure out how far along a cat probably is is either knowing when she probably mated (it seems like you don't) or getting a vet's opinion.

I can't tell much from the picture, but I'd say she doesn't look that far along to me?   Usually a pregnant female loses fur around the nipples, and looks like she swallowed a kickball 
. Your cat's nipples are larger and pinker than normal, but do not look like she's in late pregnancy. And she looks a bit chubby, but not round. I think you still have quite some time to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll get some better pictures today. She definitely has lost fur around her nipples, she has such long curly fur that it's hard to tell in this photo & she most certainly looks like she has swallowed a kick ball haha.

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

These might help a little better than the 1st photo. I just checked her belly and found it is rock solid this morning plus I can feel babies moving around :)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A general rule of thumb is that once you can see/feel kittens moving around, there are about two weeks left until birth.

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh wow that's a bit exciting and a little sooner than I was expecting :) thanks for that info

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have already posted a thread asking how far along you all thought Molly was but I thought I might start a new one so I can ask any questions I have and you can follow the birthing story in the one place :) 

I have noticed today that Molly is completely out of sorts, moving around from one place to the other every few minutes. Climbing into dark places that she wouldn't normally go. All great signs that she is going to have her babies soon!!

I do have a question though, for the past few hours she keeps going back to the back door and meowing REALLY LOUDLY!! I don't know what to do, she has her kitty tray inside, as well as her food and water. I don't know if I should let her outside when I think she is going to have her babies within the next week. I'm worried that she will birth outside.. Any advice on what I should do?

TIA

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, you shall NOT let her out!  you want the babies born inside, so the choice is verry easy.

Possibly, if there is something inside which makes her feel unsecure or stressed.  Look  through this once again.

If you dont find anything, try with soft calming, relaxing music...  Classical harp is best.

Good luck!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just chiming in to completely agree with Stefan Z.  Do not let her out at this stage no matter what you do.  It might actually be best at this stage to secure her in one room (ideally large enough so she can move around) with materials for nesting, food, water, litterboxes, etc.  This might make her feel more secure.

Good luck!

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miss Molly's milk has definitely come in now :) They feel swollen all around the nipple so I am assuming that's what it is.. GETTING SO EXCITED!!!

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Molly's milk has definitely come in now
They feel swollen all around the nipple so I am assuming that's what it is.. GETTING SO EXCITED!!!
I'm excited for you and Miss Molly, too! Keep a close eye on her for the next several weeks to see if there are any changes. Looking forward to that big moment 

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, so we are still waiting ever so IMPATIENTLY for Molly's kittens to arrive. We have a small dilemma though.. She is insisting on nesting under my bed!! I have tried enticing her with numerous boxes in different areas but she just wants under my bed. I'd let her go if it wasn't carpet! Any ideas on how I can get her to change her mind. I assume we have less than 48 hours to go. She is leaking milk and is very restless. She follows me around all day but sneaks off under the bed from time to time

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So thought I'd post a picture. This is Molly right now. As you can see she has gotten a lot bigger over the last week. I feel like if she gets any bigger she will pop haha

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You need to block off access to under the bed. Use boards, boxes whatever you have to stop her being able to get under there.
You do not want kittens born under bed. If she has problems during birth you will not know because you would not be able to see her properly. If the kittens start being born to quickly for mom to keep up with and you need to help ripping sacks open so they can breath. How will you do this if under bed. Very bad idea ! If kittens died because you didn't know there was a problem because you couldn't see them. How guilty would you feel ? It's not worth it just block off access to there.

sarah2cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Susie is going under our bed so I laid out towels with sheet on top :-)

lissyzfx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is room for me to get under there, we have a very tall bed, I'd still rather her not have them there though. She is currently ripping boxes up in my hall way and meowing like a crazy cat. I don't think we have too much longer :)

sarah2cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh God she really nesting right now! Oh she going to have them while kids in school maybe when house is quiet! Good luck!! And please let me know how many, what colours and how mum is! Thinking of you and this exciting moment dear