How do you guys feel about cremation ?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done both in the past, but the last three who have gone have been cremated individually. I have bought special planting pots and put the ashes under a shrub or tree that reminded me of them. You can then take those with you when you move. I have often wondered unhappily what has happened to the cats I buried in gardens that I left behind. Napoleon, who died just after I moved here, was buried and has his own special little garden just by my front gate, with a little cat statue. For Persil and Milo, my white cats who both died last year, I am making a special arch in the garden, covered with white roses. Their pots will be at each side of the arch, with pink roses for Persil and mauve for Milo.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuna211216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats a nice thiing to do i wish i had a backyard to do something special so i booked thr cremation and paying extra 120 bucks to be a witness which is kinda silly thst have such an expensive extra charge for you to come and witness it.. but at least ill be able to touch my baby tuna one more time before they cook him.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

seems like everyone is doing it to their pets am i the only one that has a hard time with this
maybe because I love my cat so much and the image of his body being burned scares me
just seeing my cats body in an oven in fire is in the back of my mind leaving nothing but ashes is so sad

and on top of everything those ashes chemically have no difference than some random dirt on the ground there is no trace of dna or anything in those ashes left of my cat.

am i the only one who thinks this way ?
It really all boils down to your beliefs and what you think is best. 

I have to agree with @Kieka  (but I do love me some tapioca 
)

I don't believe in burial at all. Personally, I would not want my loved one's remains rotting in the ground for worms, etc to consume. To me fire is cleansing and it purifies what it touches. I have not had to make this choice with a pet but my DH passed away in 2011. He did not specify what he wanted done so it was up to me to decide. I had his body cremated for the reason I mentioned plus I know that when I move from this area, I can take his ashes with me. It is very comforting to me to know that I will never have to leave him behind. Now I know I really would not be doing that because the body is really just a vessel and the soul/spirit is really what makes us who we are (in my opinion obviously) but I still want to bring what I have left of him with me. When it's my turn, I will make abundantly clear to DD that I want to be cremated and my ashes combined with his. 

I don't think he'd have an issue with the decision I made. If he does, he can let me know when I catch up to him. 

Do what you think is best. Follow your heart. Your cat loves you and nothing- including how you choose to handle his remains- is going to change that. The bond you share is forever. 

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing about burying your babies...if you move then you have to leave the remains or dig it up ( Yuck). With the urn you can always take it with you.

As so many have said your baby has gone to whatever place God has designed for those love objects he has given us. That "shell" that is left can reside anywhere that gives you peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuna211216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the conclusion that I got from this is that both burial and cremation neither are ideal but most people only see those two choices.

when you try and think about the difference between those two I agree cremation seems a little better no one wants to imagine a body rotting in the ground nor a fire burning their beloved pet.

both options suck and cremation seems a tiny bit better.  egyptians wanted to preserve the body as best as they could 

and I would like to do the same. 

Its the best thing you can really do but its too much work so most people stick to the two simple ways burial or cremation. 

I really want the skull of my cat but to process to get it is hard.

I am an atheist and when I try to make sense of ''spirit'' life . soul... to be its like a computer. The brain is the harddrive the memories and experiences make who you are and store the info in your brain. Without those memories you are already dead.  

I find the disease alzheimer's beyond scary, not being able to remember who you are and your memories get mixed up 

just like a computer can have some power problems and will die but the harddrive that has all the memories and what makes you be you is still stored on there

I wish I could preserve my tunas harddrive somehow for the future lol sound silly i know but its very possible

instead im burning his harddrive beyond repair which upsets me because i know there is no going back there.. no hope

when they clone animals they use the dna from the tissue. but they dont have thier memories which makes only for a pet that looks like them and has the power to become them if the exact same environment happened day by day like my cats life did which is nearly impossible to do.

identical twins the most part share the same life (same parents , same house ) but each one has their own life . talks to their own friends and watches different things on tv which makes for two different people as they grow up so for me cloning isnt an option because I wont have the exact same pet anymore it will be slightly different and just a sad reminder of him. 

the only thing thats possilble to do is to turn his harddrive back on in a different body.  but we are not there yet maybe in 100 years which is why i wanted to preserve his body by freezing..

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is probably some crygenics company, somewhere, that will take pets. Probably very expensive though.
There was one that I had read about that was mainly for people but took pets also. It was around 200k for a person so I imagine half or so for a pet.  Tuna211216, I hope you can take a little peace in knowing your little kitty whether you believe he ended up anyplace or not, that he is now not suffering any longer. Doesn't make it hurt less but kind of brings a little peace. Whenever I get any pet I always promise them that when the day comes, I won't let them suffer and I won't make them stay if they want to not fight any longer. It's always hard but I remember my promise to them and keep it. I'll see if I can look under your posts for your little fella.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OUCH

sad for your loss

But the dead are still dead

Cremated my mother and father and their request, and cremate me, scatter ashes.

BUT

Buried kitty that died, planted a palm tree above, what's so rational about this?

Just hope you feel better