How Do You Get Rid of Used Cat Litter?

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My neighbors are not my choice in neighbors. We had different ppl next door when we moved here. Much nicer then the wack jobs we have now... So if they get wiffs of some stanky cat poo and tinkle... Too bad.
The neighbors really do drive me insane. Their kids are horrid little monsters. Luckily my cats are indoor cats... I could see the little Turds being malicious. Seriously.

lol, well you indeed know what the heat does to our garbage out here! I have to chuckle because if I ever start noticing my garage having a garbage smell I simply move it outside our garage door...but it's rather close to our neighbors... can't imagine if I put the kittie's poo in there! Neighbors may build a bigger wall between our houses ;)

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ha...maybe start throwing the litter in there "uncovered".

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Feline Pine pellets or Horse Pine pellets and the two box sifter litter  box system that I ordered from Feline Pine's web sight. When I was using clay I bought 2 liker Genies one for each box. Those were the best purchase I ever made when using clay litter they are great. Now that I am using pine pellets I really don't need the Genies anymore , but since I have them anyway I use them. I scoop the poop out and put in the Genie. The urine turns the pellets into saw dust which you sift through the holes on the bottom of the top box and into the bottom box.  I pour the saw dust from the bottom box into the kitchen trash then I take the trash out to garbage can.

starbuk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I use Feline Pine pellets or Horse Pine pellets and the two box sifter litter  box system that I ordered from Feline Pine's web sight. When I was using clay I bought 2 liker Genies one for each box. Those were the best purchase I ever made when using clay litter they are great. Now that I am using pine pellets I really don't need the Genies anymore , but since I have them anyway I use them. I scoop the poop out and put in the Genie. The urine turns the pellets into saw dust which you sift through the holes on the bottom of the top box and into the bottom box.  I pour the saw dust from the bottom box into the kitchen trash then I take the trash out to garbage can.
How do you scoop the pine pellet litter?  I had it for a couple weeks but couldn't scoop it because it was not small enough to go through the mesh in my scoop.

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

How do you scoop the pine pellet litter?  I had it for a couple weeks but couldn't scoop it because it was not small enough to go through the mesh in my scoop.
I have the sifting two box litter box system. It comes with a scoop with bigger holes in it so the good pellets fall back into the litter box when your separating the poop from the pellets. When the cat urinates in the box it turns the pellets into sawdust that goes through the holes in the bottom of the top box into the 2nd box underneath. So you don't scoop the saw dust. You can shake the box back and forth and side to side to get the saw dust to fall down through the holes. What I do as well is rake the scoop throughout  the pellets so the saw dust falls through the holes and the good pellets stay in the box. You are really only scooping the poop out that sits on top of the pellets.  You don't have to use the sifting litter box . You can use the regular scoop and litter box. Fill up the scoop with pellets and shake the scoop back and forth into another container until you have sifted the saw dust through the good litter and into the container repeat this until you have separated all the saw dust from all the good pellets . Then put the good pellets bak in the litter box.  I know this sounds confusing. You can see some examples on you tube. I am so happy with the pellets.

Last edited:

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
can't imagine having a garbage pail full here in the summers in AZ! yikes!
I can relate! I live in florida. My dogs poop bags after his walk go in the outside trash that we are required to keep in the garage (I live in a town home) when you raise that lid even slightly and close it back right away the smell makes the hole garage smell. And I have a little dog with tiny poops. But when the weather cools down (for 4-5 mo out of the year) the smell doesn't get near as bad. When I did use clay I did not like the plastic bag disposal at all it was enough that the dogs poop was stinking up the garage without adding 3 cat's poop too. So right away  I bought the litter Genie and what a difference they make in the convenience of disposing of daily scooping.I use pine pellets now and I swear by them!

Last edited:

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, well you indeed know what the heat does to our garbage out here! I have to chuckle because if I ever start noticing my garage having a garbage smell I simply move it outside our garage door...but it's rather close to our neighbors... can't imagine if I put the kittie's poo in there! Neighbors may build a bigger wall between our houses
I have a funny story. One time when I used clay, after whole litter box clean up I poured the used litter from 2 litter boxes in an empty litter box bucket with a tight fitting lid. I put it in the garage to wait until trash day to take to the curb.Well not sure how many days went by but I had forgotten that I did that. And the garage started smelling really bad. So bad  even in the car. I couldn't figure out what the smell was. When I had my house there was rats in the attic (common in Florida) What a nightmare that was. So I thought oh no an animal got in the garage and died. So i am looking in the garage for this dead animal when I discovered the litter container filled with used litter that I had put there weeks before. I looked at it every day and assumed it was a new container of litter! So after that happened I would dump the litter in a large trash bag  And so many times the litter would bust through the bag leaving  a trail of litter down the drive way.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clumping put into bags and then I to the outside dustbin which is emptied daily.

david hamm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our dump says that cat litter is a chemical and charges us $10 a bag so I am looking for alternative ways to dispose of it besides putting it in the trash.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use BJ's clumping litter, scoop twice a day using a grocery bag and toss it in the trash daily.

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use clumping litter. Scoop into old litter bucket. I use the fresh step litter so I basically never have a shortage of old kitty litter buckets lol. When the bucket is full I empty it into an old armadillo hole on our property. I live out in the country so this isn't a problem.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Our dump says that cat litter is a chemical and charges us $10 a bag so I am looking for alternative ways to dispose of it besides putting it in the trash.
There are litters that claim to be flushable, but you want to be careful how you flush. Don't put too many clumps in the toilet at once, let them sit long enough to start to disintegrate, and then flush. Maybe flush a second time before putting in any more clumps. Shweat Scoop and World's Best are two brands that are supposed to be flushable. I'm sure there are more out there as well, just don't know off the top of my head.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a natural corn litter. I use dog bags to dispose of as well. I used to use the plastic bags from the store, but too many would have a small hole & then grains would spill out, so I stopped using them.

I put the pee pee bags in the trash, & the poop bags go into the "poopy bin" I created out of a tub that had 10 lbs of epsom salt in it. I empty it when I take out the trash. 

I used to find the bags the cheapest at walmart, in the dog section, of course, but I have found an even better deal at the store Tuesday Morning (If you have one it's a good find)  It's a pack of much more for about the same price. I'm not certain, but I think it is about 300 bags for 7.99. (I think the walmart ones are only 6 rolls, vs/ 8 or 10 rolls in the other. 

Here's my little set up, also in a corner in the kitchen, as it's the only space for it. People never smell it there either. I scoop after each time it's used, so usually twice a day.  

I made the little bag dispenser out of some wire I had, & hung it up as well as the scoop on a clear ling tack. This is also the corn litter I get from walmart. 5.98 for 10 lbs, & very low to no dust! 

Oh, & of course there's the "poopy pale"  I tryed air fresheners in there, but what finally worked the best was an open baggy of some fresh litter! I just folded the top of the bag down to make a cuff, so it would stay open.  
Here's an old picture, so you can see the old louver doors as a "privacy screen" / hide the litter box. They came off of an old kitchen bar at my parents, years ago.  Used to use Feline Pine, but after a UTI & cystitis 3 yrs ago, have to keep an eye on clump sizes, so not anymore, plus was so expensive!  Also no rug anymore, It's just a trap for bacteria, if any drips fall onto it after a pee,pee. ("Fluffy Butt!") It's just easier to have a clear space there for easy sweep up, & use disinfectant wipes for anything that gets on the floor between moppings. (or for the rim of the box when needed). 

Last edited:

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Arm and Hammer Odor blocker clumping litter. I scoop the box 2-3 times per day into a wal-mart or other grocery bag and it goes straight outside into the dumpster. Once a week I use a small garbage bag to change the litter, and that goes into the dumpster too. I live in an apartment, so more "green" ways of doing this are not available. (we don't even have a recyclables dumpster!)

abbi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use a variety of litter, mostly I scented clay, as well as the lighter versions. I put them in doggy do bags, then in an old cat littler bucket, which is in a bag and I put baking soda in the bucket to cut down on the smell. I clean out a couple times a day as I can't smell well so I do it a bit more than I might need to. I just need a way to make it lighter as the big trash can outside is heavy to lift and it hurts my wrist and back sometimes

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently am using Tidy Cat Instant Action clumping litter, and double bag the waste in grocery store bags. From there it goes into the covered trash can in my utility room. In the summer I line the can with odor-busting kitchen bags. In the winter, the room is cold, so there's less odor. I've used the scented 3 gallon bags, but they are so thin that odor escapes anyway. Ugh nothing worse that vanilla scented poop wafting into my bedroom. [emoji]128529[/emoji] Thankfully the litters I use break up urine smells pretty well.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Dr Elsey's Precious Cats litter and a litter Genie. I live in an apartment. I do have the luxury of an extra bathroom, so that is Artie's bathroom. 

I scoop at least twice a day. I empty the Litter Genie twice a week. 

You never smell anything in here, unless Artie jus did a poop and even then, not for long at all. 

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about used crystal litter?  I have been putting the used litter down gopher holes.    

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only scoop once a day I have 2 litter boxes for 2 cats. I'm using Special Kitty scoop able litter from Wal-Mart currently. I scoop the clumped litter into Walmart grocery bags and throw them in the kitchen trash can. I take out a bag of kitchen trash a day . I do a total litter change about every two weeks. I take the litter boxes out to the dumpster and poor them straight in litter blowing in the wind.
We are moving in 11 days so I guess I will have to start bagging my total litter change litter . We will have the small individual dumpster so I hope it doesn't make it absurdly heavy. I'm hoping all my trash will fit in one little bin!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use Pinnacle Pellets 
I'm a secret flusher (nothing major) - it's fine fine sawdust.

Recently tried tested Rainforrest Organic Cedar/Moss *flushable* 
Blackmulch thick messy, pricey, doesn't last. Always happy with Pellets

When using clay litter disposed in dumpster. Same for heavy Pellet cleaning.

Have the Litter locker comes in handy

Last edited: