How Do You Get Rid of Used Cat Litter?

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally got a litter locker! I scoop once a day and put the used litter in the litter locker. I use Tidy Cats Crystal Blend or Small spaces.

Angie

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use clay clumping litter. Between changes, I scoop it into a bag, tie it off, and toss in the trash each day. When I do a full litter box change, I dump it into a bag, tie it off, and take to the trash can in the garage.

I've tried some of the more environmentally friendly litters and they have either been too expensive or the cats didn't like them. And sometimes both.

ahazen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the info, but I have 1500 pounds of cat litter piling up in my back yard in plastic pales and tubs. I was thinking of using it when the snows come to pour on my drive way.

Our driving area is one and a half miles off the main road.

Though it is wet and my just freeze and make a bigger mess.

Has anyone tried that before?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info, but I have 1500 pounds of cat litter piling up in my back yard in plastic pales and tubs. I was thinking of using it when the snows come to pour on my drive way.
Um. Why haven't you just put it out with the trash? Anyway, if it's clay litter, don't put it anywhere wet, because it gets slimy and slippery when there's too much liquid for it to absorb or clump. I wouldn't put used litter anywhere because, well, eww. Although maybe pine litter would be OK.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I save my used cat litter and spread it on my floor on a nightly basis for my satanic rituals

......wait, what? did I say "satanic rituals?" I meant "I just throw it away, ya know, in the garbage"

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I save my used cat litter and spread it on my floor on a nightly basis for my satanic rituals

......wait, what? did I say "satanic rituals?" I meant "I just throw it away, ya know, in the garbage"

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Um. Why haven't you just put it out with the trash? Anyway, if it's clay litter, don't put it anywhere wet, because it gets slimy and slippery when there's too much liquid for it to absorb or clump. I wouldn't put used litter anywhere because, well, eww. Although maybe pine litter would be OK
The kind I use (Fresh Step Multi-Cat Unscented) turns almost into a gel when it gets wet.  I have a septic system so there is no way I'm flushing it!  I take it to the county dump when I make my garbage and recycling run at least once a week. 

I do have a friend who sprinkles used kitty litter on her steep gravel road in the winter.  To me there's too much of a yuk factor going on there.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use clumping letter and put the poo and pee in a small grocery bag and put it in the trash bin hahaha

mattytee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently use non-clumping litter and scoop twice a day, with scented nappy bags (diaper bags). We have communal outdoor main bins which are a walk from my house, so I have a 'cat poop bin' which is a lidded bin outside my door, hidden in a plant pot! I pop the bags in there and empty that whenever it's full ( once or twice a week).

amby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use non clumping clay litter for my kitten. 

I scoop it out once a day (twice if she makes a real stinky one!)

I put it in a plastic bag, and then outside in the trash.

Once a week I empty out the whole litter box and wash it out before putting fresh litter 

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Ozpet Litter
I flush every time I scoop poop with abit of pellets (daily) but in the bin in goes for a weekly complete change.

The pee breaks down the pellets that falls down the sieve, so there is minimal pellet wastage :D

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Bella & Thunder use the litter a few times ( and I scoop ) I just throw it away and add baking soda and new litter. I scoop all the time cause they use the bathroom alot.

dejolane

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I scoop into plastic bags I get from work.  They have tonnes of bags that they just throw out, so I take them and use them.  They are no biodegradable, but as I currently don't have a compost set up, it doesn't matter much.  Nothing biodegrades in the anaerobic conditions of a landfill.  This reminds me... I really need to get a "septic system" for my pets going.  When school's over, my plan is to compost pet waste from cats and dogs.  Since I use biodegradable litter, it should be fairly easy.  Just need to set up a space in the yard.  This is what I did at my previous house, but I haven't set it up here yet.  

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Dollar Tree and got the pink trash bags with perfume. That way when you put them in the trash( til it is taken out) there isn't any smell.

dejolane

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great idea 

little hill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use pellet/ pine horse bedding as cat litter. It turns to soft saw dust when miostened and it is lighter to dump in a  garbage bag and put out in the trash.I get mine at the Tractor Supply Company...40lb for $5.