How Do You Deal With Cat Hair?

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
following for tips....our dog sheds way more than the cats but it's constant work to keep the house looking/feeling decent. i have the pet version of the roomba which helps a lot with the floors, we use a furminator also about 1x/week, and vaccuum more extensively about 1x/month but it still accumulates quickly esp during shedding season. :/

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's one of my main problems in owning cats. The Ragdolls shed like crazy! No matter how much I brush them. I give them quality food and they're very healthy, thank God. But the hair is all over the place. The hair floats in the air. It's very light weight. I am not sure if Omega 3 supplements would help with the shedding. I recently read an article about cat shedding that recommended certain supplements to use.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have much of any problem with it here. Three short-haired cats. I shed more than they do, and have 3' long, wiry hair, so it's killed vacuum cleaners and a weed whacker. I have a reconditioned vac, bagless with a HEPA filter, that I bought for $60 like 8 years ago. It gets it all up very well. I use the hose attachment and brush or wand for furniture if necessary, but most of my furniture is leather and does not attract fur. For fur on draperies (because they love to look out the windows), I use my cats' slicker brush. Ditto on the bedding. Run it across the surface lightly -- then peel off the fur! Very easy to use. My cats love being brushed, so they are brushed regularly with a slicker brush and I use a flea comb in summer time even though my cats never go out, because fleas DO happen sometimes, probably from all the dogs in the neighborhood constantly being walked on the street, or maybe from the wild creatures (raccoons, oppossums, skunks, mice, rats) who live here too. If I get fur on clothing, I have some special devices for that that have a fabric that picks up fur. IDK what it's called. They're so much better than those lint roller things and all you do is peel off the fur. You don't have to keep buying the sticky tape. Oh, and I almost forgot -- a high quality diet probably helps a lot, just as it does for people. I feed high quality wet foods of several brands including Blue Buffalo, Nutro, Soulistic, and Drs. Foster & Smith 3x a day, with Drs. Foster & Smith dry and dental treats as snacks. Those, and fresh, filtered water, keep them very healthy and happy, and many people have remarked on how lustrous their coats are.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 - Man, that's a lotta work. I just use the old narrow-track Allis. When the cat hair's all baled, I stack the bales up in the barn, and I sell 'em to them there city folk for decorations at Hallowe'en.
Now you gave me an idea. Since I crochet I could just collect it all, spin it into yarn and sell it to an exclusive shop for about $50 a skein. But then you are talking about work again...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now you gave me an idea. Since I crochet I could just collect it all, spin it into yarn and sell it to an exclusive shop for about $50 a skein. But then you are talking about work again...
I read about a person who used to take a certain amount of dog hair and weave it into sweaters (made for the owner) or would make a sculpture of their dog and use the hair on it.
To non animal folks it probably sounds creepy but I think it's kind of cool.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read about a person who used to take a certain amount of dog hair and weave it into sweaters (made for the owner) or would make a sculpture of their dog and use the hair on it.
To non animal folks it probably sounds creepy but I think it's kind of cool.
Sounds cool to me

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a high rise condominium in Orlando, Florida, and have two adult cats and a six month old kitten. The kitten hasn't quite yet begun to shed, but Atticus and Thirteen sure do make up for it. I brush the cats with a wire slicker every day and then Furminate them every two weeks or so. We brush everyone's teeth and fur each night and I clean ears and check nails. I like being able to give my cats a once-over every day so that I'm aware of any physical changes.

To fight the fur I have two absurdly expensive vacuum cleaners, an Electrolux and Miele, both of which are old school canister vacs with attachments. The Miele, my favorite, I bought refurbished. I had a Dyson Cyclone at one point because someone told me that I was too "old fashioned" with my corded vacuums but I hated that Dyson! (Word to the wise: Their hairdryer is awesome; their vacuum cleaner not so much.)

Someone in my house (usually yours truly) vacuums the upholstered furniture every day. However, the real muscle in my hair fighting arsenal is not made of flesh and bone but of wires and technology. I am talking about my Roombas, without which I would be lost in a sea of cat fur! I have three of them and oddly enough they are all different models. The newest is the 980 which I purchased from Best Buy. In my opinion it's better than the i7 I purchased from QVC but I do like the fact that the i7 empties itself. I also have an older one that I think is the 680. It was the first one I bought and started my love affair with iRobot. Just a fair warning: Roombas are ridiculously expensive but I gotta tell you that they're worth every penny. Seriously. And if you buy them through QVC you can pay them off installments which is awesome.

As an added bonus, Atticus my delicious smelling gray male tabby (the star of the cat huffing thread) uses the Roombas for transportation. That lazy cat will get up from his favorite napping spot on the sofa, stretch, jump down and wait until the Roomba pulls up, hits the sofa, bounces and turns around. Then he'll jump on it and use it as a free ride into the other room where his litter box is. It's hysterical. He stands there patiently, craning his head, like he's waiting for the bus. Your cats' transportation needs aside, if you have an animal living with you a Roomba will make all the difference in the world in the overall fur content of your house!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush Speedy every day just because she enjoys it so much and she has several different types of brushes that I use.

One of the brushes is a curry brush and this type of brush seems to capture twice the amount of fur as other brushes I use. Many days I brush Speedy twice, so a lot of her fur is getting 'captured' before she can deposit it somewhere. All this being said, I still find a lot of cat fur around and I just keep vacuuming.

I believe the curry brush is good for smooth-haired cats and I highly recommend this type, just because of the amount of hair it captures.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might invest in a squeegee too! Right now I, of course, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum and sweep. I use a Dustbuster for in between and once a week go over harder area with a rubber glove. It seems to pull the hair out of fabrics really well.

The rubber glove has been my best friend for things like their blankets and my clothes if the get me really good lol.

Once a week those in the house that let me brush them, get brushed. Those that don't - I still try, and well, do what I can before murder teeth come out.