How do I socialize kittens and their shy mama?

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 year-old neutered Chihuahua who is nice to cats (though he is not calm by any stretch of the imagination). I also have a 2 year-old DSH who was adopted as a kitten (he is also neutered). Then there's Booter. He is supposed about 10-years old and neutered but I'm not certain. I'm not even sure of Booter's gender (long-haired and fiesty - can't get a look). 

About a month ago I took in a pregnant stray. She had 3 kittens on March 14th.

Booter does not like the dog at all, but he and Jack (my 2yo DSH) pretty much ignored each other until recently. Within the last few weeks there have 2 or 3 serious fights where Booter was the agressor. I started feeding Jack first to try to elevate his status (I was feeding Booter first because Jack is much bigger). 

Here's how the interactions between our fosters and the resident pets have gone . . . 

About a week ago Booter was sitting outside my bedroom door. I opened the door and Hope (mama cat) was on the floor about 4 feet from the door. The both saw each other. Hope ran up to Booter and they were nose to nose for a second and then Hope attacked. Booter retreated (which surprised me since he's so aggressive when he fights with Jack). I stepped in between them. She went back in my room and Booter went back to the main living area. I figured that she was protected her babies and Booter recognized that he was dealing with an animal that wasn't going to back down.

I feel like Hope is bored and lonely trapped in my room. A few days ago I picked her up and walked around my small apartment with her so she could get the lay of the land. It was a slow but short walk. The dog barked from the kitchen. Hope was tense but she didn't panic. I placed her slowly on my bed and she was fine.

A few days ago I picked up Jack (Jack is very laid bad) and carried him into my room. Hope was on my bed and seemed interested but not scared. I squatted down near the edge of my bed and they sniffed each other. Jack hissed so I stood up and walked out of the room. All of that was very calm and slow.

Yesterday I carried the dog in my arms and sat on the floor just inside the door. Hope approached and they smelled each other. I was so glad that the dog didn't bark or try to wriggle out of my arms. I was pleased with that short but non-negative interaction so I slowly stood up and left the room.

I have a friend who pet sits for me when I go out of town. He takes Don Pedro and Jack to his place. He's been taking them a few times a year since both animals were young so they're used to that. We joke about having joint custody. When Don Pedro and Jack go over there I say they're on vacation. 

Don Pedro and Jack left last night. They'll  be on vacation for two weeks (I'm a single mom, my kids are going to their dad's for spring break, and I'm going to college and interning as a paralegal at a law firm). 

Today I brought one of the kittens out to the living room and showed it to Booter. He hissed.

Booter was a stray who was part of a big group who were fed by my BF's neighbor/close friend. The man allowed 4 cats to be indoor pets and Booter was one of those. The man died last fall and my BF took the 4 indoor cats. Booter has been around lots of cats his whole life but I feel like he doesn't like other cats.

I would love to be able to keep Hope and/or one of her kittens (okay, let's be 100% honest, I would love to be able to keep Hope and all of her kittens), but only in everyone can get along and be happy and healthy. I figure it's best to socialize the kittens to others cats and the dog so that they'll be able to be well-adjusted in their future homes BUT I have no idea what I'm doing.

Please share your advice, experiences, links - whatever you have. Thank you in advance!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @Kimmers

It sounds like you have a lot of experience with animals, so I'll just point out a few things that may help in the socialization process.

Have you seen any of The Cat Site Articles that talk about cat behaviour and kittens?

The Articles are short and there is a lot of useful information in them.

They may give you extra ideas to consider:

[article="32740"]Kitten Development Stages Illustrated Guide​[/article]  

[article="22437"]Kittens Bonding With Humans​[/article]  

Socializing kittens is not at all difficult. All you need is time, and creative play, using cat toys, boxes, ping pong balls, scrunched up paper balls, cloth belts, or wide string toys, which are all used with supervision, so that the kittens don't actually chew or eat them.

Spending as much time as you can with the kittens, and when they are about 5-6 weeks you begin to handle them, hold them, let them sleep on you, while you are sitting down with them, will get them used to people. Just being around them, reading to them, and talking in a quiet, calm voice, will also help them get accustomed to people.

Your biggest goal at this point is to let the kittens explore, and get used to the people in their lives. Most likely they will be curious and want to come to you, or your girls, BF etc.

Having them get used to as many different types of people is good, with different voices and mannerisms, etc.

With the mama cat, Hope, you may have to go back to doing 'slow cat-to-cat introductions' with your other 2 cats, and dog, (even though your dog, Don Pedro, sounds like he accepts everyone.)

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]

With taking slow introductions, you're trying to avoid any of the cats from getting too aggressive, or territorial.

Booter might not have ever encountered a kitten, and he may also not know what to think about them, because kittens do not move like ordinary adult cats do.

He may have just hissed because he has no idea what they really are, and they smell odd to him.

It might be better to wait, and introduce the kittens to the adult cats when the kittens are older, too, and can defend themselves.

(I always get a little nervous when adult cats, who are not the mother cat, are around small kittens, Even if the adult cats are friendly.)

When you are socializing and playing with the kittens and their mom then you also have to remember to set aside time to give to your resident animals, so that no one feels left out.

I guess it's more of a 'time-management juggling act' in which you make the time for everyone.

Can you post some photos of your cats, and the foster cats?

Good Luck with the fun times. They go so fast.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, they are all adorable!

I can't believe Booter hissed. That one little guy looks like him. What was Booter thinking.

(I forgot to ask about posting a photo of Don Pedro, too. What was I thinking.

)

Can you post one of Don Pedro, please. Thanks.

ps. Those cat shelves are beautiful/colourful.

Having vertical space, like that, really helps when multiple animals share space, and to prevent boredom. Good going.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they're all adorable too. My DD10, DS8 and are all Disney fans so we named the two (white) girls Moana (the bravest one) and Elsa (the one with more white). The black and white boy we named R2-B2 - a nod to Star Wars and the fact that he looks like Booter II.

Something is wrong with R2-B2 though - there's lots of pictures and a video in my other thread :-(

We've been watching My Cat From Hell and my BF had a bunch of pallets so ...cat shelves!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, very impressive shelves, and very cute names, for all your fur gang.

Sorry to hear about R2-B2, the kitten.

Will look and read up on your other thread, then.