how do i keep them out of the CHRISTMAS Tree???

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They wont stay out, my two kittens and occasionally the mama cat! Ive tried telling them no and removing them , sticking them in another room after they repeatedly go back to it , ive tried threatening them with a newspaper, ive tried everything, they havent knocked it over but i have one of those cheap fake trees (its my frist christmas not living with mom and dad) and i have to readjust the branches every two days at least!!!

I love them but argggghhhh

O and all the presents( i knew tis would hapen) TO one specific family ( my boyfriend sis) have completely been messed up.. Theve ripped the wrapping paper completely off one present and taken the bow and shredded another one.

HELp!!!!

I dont think there is anything I can do cause they are just kittens that are at the most playful stage but my boyfriend gets so annoyed about it.

O yeah I do have the crap ornaments on the bottom too

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to Christmas with kittens. The only way you're going to keep them away from the tree and your presents is to prevent them from having access.
Is it possible to shut a door?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hehe... Nope!!! I live in a one bedroom apartment with an open kitchen/living room

one bedroom and a little bathroom... only way to keep em away is to lock em the bedroom which im not gonna do

my boyfriend will just have to deal

ive lived with multiple cats my entire life, he hasnt, he just doesnt get that its gonna happen

stupid boy!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you could always try to sell him on the idea that you have the only Christmas tree in town with animated ornaments.

double trouble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same problem last year with my 2 climbing inside the tree and pulling it over.

This year i solved the problem. Unfortunetly it was not to have a xmas tree and im well gutted.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's something at the pet store that you can spray on the tree that they don't like. I've seen someone mention it in another post here about christmas trees. Can't remember what its' called though.
Anyhoo, I always leave the bottom two rows of branches "ornament-free". Then they don't have anything to play with. Although I will admit in college my roommate at the time saw the tree as The best climbing Present I ever got them and would often knock it over. I have since decided not to invest too much money on decorations (the after-christmas 75% off sales). Then I don't feel like I've lost out on money.

kerrimah2005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup that spray stuff cat away works lol its about the onli thing I can think of I just am going to use some of it on the tree skirt..This is my last alternative Ive tried it all other then having no tree ..cats are curious and will sure love dangly ortaments ..also think about anchoring the tree to the celing as I have had mine tipped over many times ( even with a heavy stand) this product costs about 10$ and is also used to keep cats off certain areas any Wal marts or pet store sells it...

If you dont want to use chemicials ..plastic ortaments would help maybe ...they have some pretty ones you could make it a cat freindly tree ?
good luck with tree and cats im sure many others are having the same prob.....Its just like one big huge kitty toy!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do an advanced search on the forums there are dozens of threads that cover this subject. There is also an article referenced in the threads that deals with cats and christmas trees

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they dont play with the ornaments , they just like to sit on the branches.. its weird! im scared that one of them is going to get caught up in the lights or something...

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this is what I did with my stubborncat Hobbs and our tree..i took a little spray bottle with some water. I hated doing this because this cat is spoiled and I didnt like scaring him, but I was desperate! I sprayed Hobbs a couple of times right in his curious little face. He left after 2 sprays. Then when he did it again, I sprayed him again. Eventually all I had to do was show him the bottle and he would run like heck. Then I simply put the bottle at the bottom of the tree and he wouldnt go near it! I felt a bit guilty, but now I dont have to worry about him tipping the tree or biting the light wires.

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i already tried a similar method when i first put the tree up! I tried just flinging lots of water at them an it just didnt work!!! i guess that they are just at the age where nothing scares them!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

this is what I did with my stubborncat Hobbs and our tree..i took a little spray bottle with some water. I hated doing this because this cat is spoiled and I didnt like scaring him, but I was desperate! I sprayed Hobbs a couple of times right in his curious little face. He left after 2 sprays. Then when he did it again, I sprayed him again. Eventually all I had to do was show him the bottle and he would run like heck. Then I simply put the bottle at the bottom of the tree and he wouldnt go near it! I felt a bit guilty, but now I dont have to worry about him tipping the tree or biting the light wires.
Please don't spray your kitty in the face. If even a drop of water gets inside his ears it can easily lead to an ear infection.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just decorated mine with the cats in mind....KNOWING they would be enjoying it...and made it as safe as possible for them.
They truly believe it is a toy that i brought in and decorated just for them!
Linda

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Please don't spray your kitty in the face. If even a drop of water gets inside his ears it can easily lead to an ear infection.
ok thanks!

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they dont seem to be getting bored of it

desiresgrasp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
heheh! NEVER!!! ahahaha

i just cant believe how well a 20 dollar dollar store fake tree is holding up!!

i mean they sit in it, climb it, chew it, bend the branches and god knows what else

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know you could do worse spending $20 at Petsmart on toys that they snub. As long as they aren't getting hurt, I see no harm in letting them have fun with the tree.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tree would last approximately 13 seconds in my house. Never gonna happen!