How Do I Introduce Two Cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im Sure you want pictures.
She isn’t here yet. She is getting fixed, I’ll pick her up next week. She has a vet appointment the day after. I’ll have work to do to get her healthy and adjusted. She is grieving for her kitten she was separated from. I’m getting the house ready.
It would be easier to move the residents cat litter box place, and keep the new girl in the master bath attatched to the master bed.
I’m going to try her out on a new litter box place before Luna arrives and let Sassy decide which part of the house she wants.
The vet will have a lot of intructions for me!
The pound was going to eventually put her down.she cN hear and see.

Attachments

littlesoprano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my kittens “locked up” in a fairly small bedroom until I knew my cat would be okay. It was honestly really beneficial, especially since they came from the local HS and were hand shy. Let them get used to seeking human attention, not running from it. My female has been a real champ so I was able to move pretty quickly to letting them run.

They weren’t bothered in the slightest by being locked in the room either. Every morning and when I got home from work I’d bring them to either the basement or a new room and let them run themselves around and play.

It was also worth it to let Possy, my female, get used to them and their shenanigans. As of this morning they were all actually playing on the cat tree together. Granted she does hiss some, but I don’t think she would be doing so well if she hadn’t had some time to adjust first.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That helps a lot! It makes me think of creating a common area where I can have one cat out at a time, or both in time.
I’ll put up a baby gate to separate for safety while I’m not there so neither territory feels violated. Yet the territory bounds will be re defined.
I don’t know whether to put all the fun stuff in the neutral area: cat tree? And do I move my things to the neutral area also? The idea is I’ll spend most of my time with one or both cats in the area (desk, chair).

How do I prepare for the worst? I know the articles say take it slow. I’m nervous .

I had my kittens “locked up” in a fairly small bedroom until I knew my cat would be okay. It was honestly really beneficial, especially since they came from the local HS and were hand shy. Let them get used to seeking human attention, not running from it. My female has been a real champ so I was able to move pretty quickly to letting them run.

They weren’t bothered in the slightest by being locked in the room either. Every morning and when I got home from work I’d bring them to either the basement or a new room and let them run themselves around and play.

It was also worth it to let Possy, my female, get used to them and their shenanigans. As of this morning they were all actually playing on the cat tree together. Granted she does hiss some, but I don’t think she would be doing so well if she hadn’t had some time to adjust first.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be nervous :) Just stay calm, relax, bring whatever you want to keep yourself comfortable into this neutral area. In fact your smells are "good" to both the cats, and having both of their smells mixed with yours may help the integration.

In case of any negative interactions (fights) just keep something on-hand like a large piece of cardboard or a blanket so you can separate them without physically getting in between (that's a good way to get scratched accidentally).

Sounds like you are prepared, and I'm sure it will go great! Just be patient.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Karen. She just got fixed today. I'm going to drive 30 min one way to pick her up. Her room is ready. She is going to feel like she got hit by a truck. Should I bathe her today? I need to give her Revolution also. Her eyes and face will need cleaned also. I'll have to start cleaning her ears, she still has ear mites; hence the Revolution. What diet should I begin her on, while I switch her to my kind of kibble? I was thinking baked chicken and milk. What do you think? I'll post pictures soon!
Sassy is all locked up in her bathroom. She protests, I showed her the bird feeder outside the window. That keeps her occupied! Yesterday I put up the gate separating the areas to keep both cats safe in case they get out the doors while I am away.
I'm asking because I don't want to do too much to Luna after her surgery today. Except, it needs done; ya know?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would handle her as little as possible today. Cats do heal quicker than us but she had a hysterectomy today, will be recovering from anesthesia, will be traveling with a new human, and moved into a new home. She will likely be groggy and disoriented. Offer some gentle pets if she is receptive.

You said you have a vet appt set up for her tomorrow. You have some great questions. Take your list to the vet with you and write their answers right on the paper. If I remember what I wanted to ask without notes I forget the exact answer by the time I get home.

Take your time and relax. Plan something nice for yourself tonight also. A happy movie on tv, a good book, a special take-out dinner, or whatever will distract you from the kitties. Even if it is only for 10 min at a time. The calmer you are the calmer they will be.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Take your time and relax. Plan something nice for yourself tonight also. A happy movie on tv, a good book, a special take-out dinner, or whatever will distract you from the kitties. Even if it is only for 10 min at a time. The calmer you are the calmer they will be.
:yeah: Yes! Hellenww Hellenww has great advice about giving yourself breaks!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying Helen,
She had Revolution, the fleas are dying. Her left ear was completely clogged with gunk, I’ll have to irrigate it soon. Her incision could look better. Her eyes need help. She has explored her enclosure of her room. She is resting on her side and is very receptive to pets. She growls a little when I try to wipe her eyes with the optic solution. The shelter said they were using diluted vinegar.
I’ve bathed her because of the smell. Brushed her out. Dabbed peroxide on her incision.
She eats a little, she hasn’t used the litter box yet.
She is loving through this whole experience. No scratches or bites, she did try to run. She is purring in the photos below.
My plans are to keep the kitties separated. I’ve added Sassy and my scent to Luna’s room. I’ve kept Sassy isolated of course. Now to finish a late paper and put together a liter box concealer for Sassy to watch the birds on.

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s conjunctivitis and a sinus infection.
She is on ointment for her eyes and numbing ointment for her hysterectomy incision.
She updated her vaccines her tigers maybe low. Eye care meticulous!!!!
She will return in 10 days to the vet, antibiotics maybe in order if it doesn’t clear up.
She is less anxious, and good appetite.

Thanks for replying Helen,
She had Revolution, the fleas are dying. Her left ear was completely clogged with gunk, I’ll have to irrigate it soon. Her incision could look better. Her eyes need help. She has explored her enclosure of her room. She is resting on her side and is very receptive to pets. She growls a little when I try to wipe her eyes with the optic solution. The shelter said they were using diluted vinegar.
I’ve bathed her because of the smell. Brushed her out. Dabbed peroxide on her incision.
She eats a little, she hasn’t used the litter box yet.
She is loving through this whole experience. No scratches or bites, she did try to run. She is purring in the photos below.
My plans are to keep the kitties separated. I’ve added Sassy and my scent to Luna’s room. I’ve kept Sassy isolated of course. Now to finish a late paper and put together a liter box concealer for Sassy to watch the birds on.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well. Luna met Sassy. She escaped the bathroom and is so skinny she moved through the pet gate. After a lot of hissing and chasing I broke them up.
Later they were able to look at each other with out growling. As soon as I got there, the growling started. Sassy has a safe place to be. Luna is the aggressive one.
She rarely goes after Sassy unless she is trying to follow me around the house or Sassy comes near the pet gate. I think they’ll stay on opposite ends of the house, at least they did after they first met. When I’m home I don’t close the doors, when I leave I close the doors. Poor Sassy. Poor Luna.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor kitties! If it's hissing and chasing but no fighting I find that to be pretty good. Good thing they have a dedicated and loving guardian to help them out!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is Luna,
She is no longer able to get through the pet gate.
Sassy is uncomfortable with her presence. Luna may fell the need to assert herself because Sassy always hisses at her instead of giving her a chance.
Luna conjunctivitis is coming back, after I finished the tube of eye antibiotic Sab. Her incision wasn’t healing with her licking it all the time. Now she has a cone that protects her incision and her eyes. I know what to do for the incision. When it’s time the vet will take out the sutures.
What is causing the infection and drainage of the eyes? I’m thinking of taking her back early to the vet about her eyes. I’m using medicated eye wipes from doctor4paws called eats&tears wipes for cats.
Luna enjoying playing with her feather toy and is adjusting well. I’m worried about her eyes.

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is Luna,
She is no longer able to get through the pet gate.
Sassy is uncomfortable with her presence. Luna may fell the need to assert herself because Sassy always hisses at her instead of giving her a chance.
Luna conjunctivitis is coming back, after I finished the tube of eye antibiotic Sab. Her incision wasn’t healing with her licking it all the time. Now she has a cone that protects her incision and her eyes. I know what to do for the incision. When it’s time the vet will take out the sutures.
What is causing the infection and drainage of the eyes? I’m thinking of taking her back early to the vet about her eyes. I’m using medicated eye wipes from doctor4paws called eats&tears wipes for cats.
Luna enjoying playing with her feather toy and is adjusting well. I’m worried about her eyes.