How Do I Introduce Two Cats?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm considering getting a male (older) for my female (older) not to have kittens. To be around, snuggle with when it's cold etc..
I've tried this before with a younger female and a 3 month old kitten. The females tried to hurt each other. The kitten and the female were bonding, except I couldn't handle having a kitten.
My female follows me to room to room like a shadow. If I get a male I'll have to hole him up in the closet bathroom. For how long? A few days or more he will be ready to get out. My female will not tolerate being put in the other bathroom.
I do not have the other cat.
I'm trying to figure out how to introduce them as smoothly as possible. I read the article about introducing cats. It seems cruel to restrict their access to the whole house.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Why cruel? Number one, it's for their safety and well-being. You experienced it yourself already where your females tried to hurt each other.
Number two, it isn't for forever. Don't be in a rush with this.

Maybe you can do a search in this site for other thread discussions where people introduced cats.

I'd probably put the male in the bathroom and leave the female out in the large area. Have each cat sleep on a blanket, then swap those blankets so each cat is sleeping on the other cats blanket. Do this for a few days. Then let the male out and put the female in that bathroom.
Then back to the original where the male is in the bathroom, with a couple of stacked baby gates and they are eating on either side of the gates, closer and closer for each meal. The point being to not only smell each other but see each other and to gradually become physically nearer to each other with a growing comfort zone.
Sometimes cats integrate easily and quickly. Sometimes not.
Go slow because if you rush it you gain nothing except upset and stress for everyone. You need to do this at the pace of the slowest, least accepting cat.

Good luck!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long have you had your older girl and how long ago did you try introducing each other the other cats to her? Maybe give both of you a little time to enjoy each others company.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand how you would think it could be cruel to lock one cat into a small room like a bathroom ... I've thought similar things until I realized that we are thinking like a human. Cats think in terms of territory and threat levels (and food, lol).

From a cat's perspective, the new kitty will be taken from a shelter/rescue/foster - not an ideal home but it would have become a familiar territory and thus safe. By adopting the cat, all they understand is they were "safe" and now they are in a huge new "unsafe" and unvetted area. The bigger the area, the more threats may lie in wait - such as a resident cat. Placing a new cat into - from their perspective - uncertain and possibly dangerous area with unknown threats is very stressful.

Now, by placing the new cat in a smaller environment, such as a bathroom, and isolated from the resident kitty does a few things.
1. It is easy for new kitty to assess the threat level of a small area. Kitty can explore, check for danger, and feel less stressed knowing nothing is lurking.
2. Resident kitty is not present except by smells and maybe sounds outside the door. So the threat is diminished.
3. While new kitty will probably be excited to leave the bathroom faster than the introductions will probably go, introducing them slowly (and keeping the new kitty in the bathroom temporarily) will help all kitties be less stressed.

Also, the new kitty doesn't have to stay in the bathroom the whole time - site swapping the cats (put resident kitty in the bedroom or something) will let the new kitty explore and walk around without fear of running into the resident cat. And if the new cat becomes stir-crazy, you can use baby gates stacked up to create a temporary door and allow for more space.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll do more research, buy more toys and a baby gate.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, I agree; during this time I have gotten her to play with feather toys. She is afraid of the wands associated with the feathers. She may have been abused with a stick object.
Now that the kitten is gone, her constipation is over. She was holding all that in; she was scared to use the litter box. Not anymore. She now uses the cat tree like a pro, jumping to the tallest spot. When she falls asleep she lets out this content sigh that sounds like a bird cooo..
She needs brushing, more often her lion cut is growing out. Her ears need more attention. A breeder suggested NuVet supplements, that has really helped her over all health!
She isn't the lap cat I want, she is the companion I need. Her personality flourished when I switched to no grain wet cat food. The biting has diminished.
I could talk about her all day. I found out she has a breed called Chantilly/Tiffany/Foreign Long Hair:
I feel like I have a poor woman's Persian.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you furballmom# for the good advice! And replying to my threads!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand how you would think it could be cruel to lock one cat into a small room like a bathroom ... I've thought similar things until I realized that we are thinking like a human. Cats think in terms of territory and threat levels (and food, lol).

<<snip>>

Now, by placing the new cat in a smaller environment, such as a bathroom, and isolated from the resident kitty does a few things.
1. It is easy for new kitty to assess the threat level of a small area. Kitty can explore, check for danger, and feel less stressed knowing nothing is lurking.
2. Resident kitty is not present except by smells and maybe sounds outside the door. So the threat is diminished.
3. While new kitty will probably be excited to leave the bathroom faster than the introductions will probably go, introducing them slowly (and keeping the new kitty in the bathroom temporarily) will help all kitties be less stressed.

<<snip>>
and 4. A safe room will give the new cat someplace to retreat to that is "theirs" so that when things in the house get stressful, he will have a place to go and relax

Also, unless the bathroom is just a tiny powder-room or a wc, for a cat even a small room has a lot of vertical space.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She isn't the lap cat I want, she is the companion I need. Her personality flourished when I switched to no grain wet cat food. The biting has diminished.
I could talk about her all day.
This is wonderful to hear, and you're very welcome :heartshape:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just realize that the soft and warm picture that you have in your mind of them cuddling together is not always how it turns out. I think you know that from your previous experience. Your cat may not want another cat in the house.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How will I know? Why does she run around calling for someone when the sun goes up and goes down?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat may not want another cat in the house

Hummm

I played this video for her, a male cat in heat... she responded like she wanted to jump on my phone

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why she meows from sun up to sundown but my remaining cat meows a lot and I don't know what she wants either.

By the way, how old is your resident cat? I mean is she like 10 years old or older?

If you do go the route getting another cat, why are you set on a male cat? I think you need to pick a cat for her personality. You did mention that she was bonding with a kitten you got earlier but you couldn't handle a kitten, so it is possible that she is open to another cat. If you go to a shelter, maybe try to get a cat that gets along with other cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! After two hours the edit capability stops for people who have been here for more than 5 days and have posted approx. 20 posts, it will be three small lines in the lower left hand corner of your posts, click on that and you'll see the words edit and flag.
Besides which, that wasn't you, that was who-ever made that video :)
In any case, are there cats outside your house? Your inside cat can detect those cats even if you don't see them. Could that be the cause of all the meowing?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure if there are other cats. There are Neighboor hood cats for sure! I don’t know when they’re around.
She is 6y/o I’ve had her since April this year.
I spoke to the shelter a hour away and they suggested getting an older male because they are less territorial. He should have similar play styles as her ie feather, ribbon, mouse, stick toys is what she said.
The breeder said she might have a male in a couple of months to sell, and she is an expert in cat matching and will help me make the introduction.
I feel discouraged I even asked how to introduce two cats. Put me on the spot, I feel cornered.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, don’t feel cornered. I think it’s great you are looking into getting a companion kitty. And it would be great to have help with matching and intros! I had so many questions that was hard to research or ask a forum. It’ll be nice to have a resource!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh well thanks for answering