How did you get your cat??

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Bella from the Humane Society. I probably should have chosen one of the older cats, as it's not a no-kill shelter, but Bella was standing against the edge of her cage, begging me to come take her home. Her brother and sister were also in the cage, but they were (I believe) still recovering from the spay/neuter.

Rowan was in the bushes outside my house about two weeks after I adopted Bella. I'm in the basement, and I thought that his cries were a bird, since I didn't have a window open on that side of the house. The boys upstairs got tired of the crying (after about 12 hours!), and came down to ask me if Bella had gotten out. As I came to answer the door, holding Bella, they realized that it wasn't her. The two guys upstairs and a neighbor caught Rowan (and scared him half to death), but their little rescue plan wasn't really planned to the 'after catching the kitten' phase, so I took him in for the night, fully planning on taking him over to the Humane Society the next day. I guess I just never got around to it, and no one called about the 'Found Kitten' posters, so he's still here. He and Bella are buddies now, though, so he's allowed to stay. Not that I could make him leave, because I don't think that even Bella and her wanderlust could convince him to go outdoors again.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stud cat Benja was from some breeders up the coast who are very good friends of ours.

My queens Holly, Sophie and Muffin are all from my Nana, who is also a breeder.

And my two pride and joys Elmo and Bridget were both born at my house.

I love my cats!

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I had just lost my job, and I was really depressed, so a friend of mine showed me some kitten pictures from a local adoption agency. He showed me some kittens he was interested in. And then I saw Miya's picture. I don't know why, but something drew me to her.

I was originally interested in a male cat, because I didn't think they had an "attitude" a female has. So I spoke to the adoption agency. They told me that Miya was indeed a female and she was very affectionate. Of course, they like to tell you all the good things about the cat so you'll take them. But a voice in my head told me to adopt her. She was sick, so there were delays. I only had maybe $400 to live on for 3 months until my unemployment kicked in. And then I met her for the first time. I held her in my arms and she immediately began to purr.

But then I backed out and said I couldn't take her.

That night, I couldn't sleep, so I emailed the next day and told the adption agency that I wanted her. They came to my house about two weeks later. After they left, the first thing I said was, "I promise that I will never let you go hungry as long as I am your mommy." The next day I started to look for work and by the end of the week, even though I had to skip a couple of meals, I had enough money to keep Miya well-fed, littered, and groomed.

Looking back, I have absolutely no regrets.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweety is actually my boyfreind's kitty but she has adopted me! She was 14 years old when I came into her life and he says he has never seen her take to anyone like this, she even has stopped some long time bad habits and started some good ones! It has only been a year but I know she has me and I her for ever!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I've had cats/kittens all my life. But will start with the first one that lasted at our house more then a few months

Mitten - he was a stray in the neighborhood and we checked around and no one claimed him (my mom still thinks the real owner didn't acknowledge him and want him back, and lied about it). Anyway we got him at about 3-4 yrs old (vet estimate) and showed him in household pet classes for a few years. I consider Mitten my first and very special cat; he died of cancer at age 13 and I STILL miss him!

We rescued our next household pet (the odd-eye B/W) from the city at my aunt's house. She won many many ribbons and trophies and had national wins too - she died at age 18 in her sleep.

I bought my first pedigree; a Russian Blue which Mitten raised and also babysat Kisa's kittens too. Kisa didn't like showing but was a good mom.

My ex wanted a cat of his own and picked out cornish rexes; which at first I thought "of all the cat breeds why did you pick an ugly one?" Anyway, their personality won me over and I've never been without a rex since.

Our last rex is 14 yrs old now and his parents/grandparents were 16-18 yrs old when they died. I know Spooky won't be with us much longer. I do also have a 16 yr old rex who was placed with a good friend when I moved to MN - Taz would have never survived the trip as she hated car riding and the stress would have killed her. She's "queen" of my friend's house.

We also have barn cats cause we live in the country. One more to get spayed (the kitten we are keeping) and then everyone will be fixed. We only keep 5 adults.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In 2003 after my beloved Tess died at age 22, I was so heartbroken I didnt know if I could "love again". I kept hoping a cat would just show up at my door somehow in need of a home.

After 2 years of no kitty love
I went to a no destroy shelter here. I met about 50 cats that day and NO ONE wanted me! LOL! All cats ran from me, or if I got a pet in I'd be bitten or scrached. Boohoo - I was all ready for a cat and no one wanted to be mine! I also was going for an older cat b/c I dont like kittens much and I know the older ones are harder to adopt out.

Anyway, I had been admiring one pretty kitty who was content in the back of a "house" thingy with about six cats squashed around her. She didnt notice me, and there was no way to get to her. She had her eyes squeezed shut and paws stretched out in that sweet way they like to do.

A worker saw me admiring her, so she pulled her out and put her in my arms. Smidge immediately put one paw on each of my shoulders and snuggled in under my chin and neck. She brushed me with her scent from where her whiskers come out too (that's a big deal). So, I knew she was the one, made my decision in one moment, and she came home with me that day. This was in April. She's a good cat for me and v. sweet.

I strongly believe if a cat picks YOU, then he/she is the right cat for you.