How did you get your cat??

luvs2be

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This topic may have already been discussed here but i am new and curious. I know some of you have had more than one cat and have multiples now, but any interesting stories how they got there?

Well mine might not be interesting but here goes.

Hubby was at work one night it was in an old buidling, he worked for himself and he was the only one there.....He was sitting there with his feet up eating his supper (Fish) and all of a sudden up this cat jumps right into his lap
Well he is a softy so he fed her some of his fish, he says she acted like she was starving and she was thin.
So afterwards he put her back out side thinking she would go home, but nope she came back....LOL
Well when he was coming home he didn't want to leave her so he brought her home, she was so affectionate and was NOT afraid of my two dogs (She harassed them
) Anyways we tried to find where she may have lived but no luck....Well hubby does have an allergy to cats so of course he said we can't keep her. I did what i thought was right and gave her to the Animal rescue league...After missing her the next day i called to see how she was and i couldn't believ what they told me.
They said she did not eat breakfast, and did not eat lunch and if she does not eat dinner they were going to put her dowm
I couldn't stand to think of that happeneing, she seemed fine when i had her!
I told them hold on to her i will come and get her, i get there and they all of a sudden tell me she has earmites and needs medicne, and they will give it to me for $10.00..i said fine i just wanted the cat back!
Anyways when i got her home she was sneezing alot, so i made her an appt. she had a upper respitory infection, thats why she wouldn't eat!
Well 13 years later she is still here and doing fine!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Ollie-man was a stray wondering around Penn State's main campus in State College, PA... apparently there are several stray kitties and rabbits that live under a house right outside the dorm building I was living in - he kept coming up to me and I couldn't leave him go anymore, scooped him up and took him in - no one responded to ads about a lost cat with his pic so now he's my little boy and has a mommy and daddy (my boyfriend, Jim) that love him very much... I KNOW he knows we rescued him.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aristotle was born to a cat being fostered by TCS member Andeshan. When I posted to another member that I would be tempted to take her white kitten (but we were states away) Andeshan contacted me and offered him. We're about 100 miles apart so this was way more convenient! We met in a city between us.

Technically he is Mom's cat - a mother's day present to replace the white kitten we lost last October. But he has "adopted" me!

bogeyandbetty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bogey and Betty came from a farm and were #22 and #23 to be adopted out this summer with four pregnant mommas to go. The owner took in all sorts of strays and normally gets them spayed and nuetered but didn't catch a whole litter last year, 6 female kitties and every one had a litter this year. and she got several cats just dumped off. She is known for taking the strays and for taking the ones from the shelter who never get adopted. They all live in barns except two males.

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last year was my first year of law school, and one of my friends in class had a pregnant feral kitty adopt her balcony. She took the feral momma and new babies inside. There were six babies, and five survived. Myself and two other classmates each adopted a baby, and her extended family members agreed to take the momma and two other kittens. Momma was spayed and has a home, and all the babies have homes, so no one had to go to the shelter!

I
Clinton so much. I've only had him a few months and I already can't imagine my life without him! He's totally the best part of law school!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My YY came from a well known breeder of Siamese. I had hoped to find a rescued Siamese since I do help Siamese Rescue but I fell in love with the little ball of fluff who happened to be a show quality Siamese. So I adopted her. And my life has been enriched immesaurably by her presence.

I am also fostering two champion Spynx girls whose human meomy is very ill. While I love them dearly, I hope it will not become permanent because I want her to get well!! If it does to, YY and I will accept them with open arms and paws!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Evalynn as a stray, someone found her and broght her into the clinic I was working for at them time...She is 2 1/2 years old!

I got Savanna from the humane society about two weeks later....She is almost 2 1/2 years old.

Then I got mandarin about one month later, someone food her in a forest and brought her into my work. She is 2!

Next came Jinx again from work...Someone found him and his brother in a dumpster at about 3-4 weeks of age...I raised them and kept Jinx, He just turned 2!!

Then Averee came as a 1 day old stray (from work) I raised her, but she got real sick and I had to put her down in May
She was 9 months.

I got sophia from a cat rescue I work for last year.
She just turned 1

Finally I got Zoee & Joei in May at the same time I put Averee down. They are my angel babies. I found them in my friends shed they are 5 months now!!!

I love all my babies...They just come to me!!!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew my life was going to be in for some real bad turns and I had this feeling that I needed someone to talk to. I convinced my roomate at the time to let me get a cat, and she eventully said yes, if he stays in my room and does not get out. I got him (she was gone for a good part of the day, so when she wasnt home I would let him out) at the shelter after another kitten I had my eye on got adopted from petsmart (a pretty cat with siamese points in a pretty light gray color, light blue eyse named elvis).

I just went to look, and see if I really wanted one, I was not going to fill out an application. I was playing with this timid white spotted female and this little tabby from a couple of cages over stuck out his paw and grabbed my hair. Not getting my hopes up I asked the lady to find out who did not have any applications for owners on them (no use having more than one person apply when someone else gets left out!).

She said came back, showed me the ones who didnt, including the tabby named Perry. I asked how long it had been there and she said about a month, and he was the next one to be pts when new cats came in because he had been there the longest. I asked why no one wanted him, and she said he was skittish and was a special needs cat. She told me he was an abused kitten and was scared of people. I took him to the room to play with him, and fell in love with him.

Sure he was a bit scared, his tail looks funny after being broken three times, but when I held him he started purring, and I knew I couldnt go home without him. He needed me, and sure enough I needed him. She called me the next day said I was approved, and fixed him the next morning, and I brought him home the day after that.

Now I live in a single apartment with my CJ and I could never imagine being without him. He picked me out, and I couldnt be more pleased with his choice. If you look in my siggy the picture on the left with the ball is CJ's picture when he was on petfinder. I spoil him and he spoils me, it works out very well.....

jubilscats3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my first cat Jalopy, from behind a Wal-Mart at the loading docks, and my second cat Chuddie, came from a friend who went to a flea market and my third cat Jubliee, came from where I used to work. She was found underneath a car near the bodyshop. And The same friend who gave me the first two cats' gave me one of thier two cats' when they moved. Which give's me four cats'.

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mischka girl was found at a campus after all had left for the summer. Her and 3 siblings no momma cat was found so they were going to take them to the shelter me and my 2 friends took them instead they took the boys and I kept the girl and we lived happily ever after! Linx i got from a shelter after My Thai RIP was taken by cancer, didn't want Mischka to be all alone since she was used to having a pal around. Went into the kitten area and none of the babys paid me any notice I was ready to leave and go look at the older kittys when something hurt my leg I looked down, it was Linxy climbing up my pants I took one look at this sweet boy and it was all she wrote. I had went to a cat show the year before and saw a Somali and fell in love with the breed. For Sundance I searched for and found a breeder miles & miles away that put me on her waiting list when the litter was born I was so lucky I requested a boy and the momma had 7 babys 6 girls & 1 boy.

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
growing up in many homes ive had many animals, especially cats.

some of them we got at local shelters, some of them had free kitten signs in baskets at pet stores, some we got from the newspaper (free and purebred), some we took from friends that couldn't care for them or who had baby kittens, some we brought in off the street.

the only one i remember distinctly was a cat i named Puppy. there were about 15 white cats and kittens (actual snowball white, no orange tint) hanging out in the road (my guess someone didn't have their cat fixed and left the babies outside to have more babies). well i was walking through the neighborhood with my friends so i decided to walk up to them. all of them ran except one. i picked her up and pet her and carried her around for a bit.... then of course i was told i couldn't keep her. i went back and put her where i found her and went home. then as we were sitting on the front porch she came peeking around the car and ran up to me. needless to say that was all my foster mom had to see to let her stay with us!

now that my fiancee and i have our own apartment, i'm considering fostering momma's and cripple's.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really - pretty boring actually - Sunday and Cairo came from shelters. Sashka came from a pet store (cringe, guilty, cringe) and I noticed her in the window asleep sitting up! She was tiny and beautiful and I had to get her even though I HATE pet stores and everything they stand for. But despite that I'm glad I did because she is a sweet darling angel and I love her to distraction. Princess and Mena were Maxey's cats from ten years ago.

kitty's_mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty was a stray. My friend found her outside her house. There was a van parked in the visitors car park and there were 4 or 5 kittens under the van. Kitty was the only one that came up to my friend when she offered food to the kittens. My friend caught her and asked if i wanted a kitten. I had no idea what Kitty looked like, only that she was black and white and that she was a girl.. even then my friend wasn't so sure cause Kitty had A LOT of hair down there... My friend couldn't keep her because she has two cats and a dog of her own... so Kitty adopted me
And was my xmas pressie... got her 2 days before xmas 04. She is 11 months old. Kitty is my first cat... and she is a cutie-pie... even if i am a bit biased

The photo below is what my little girl looked like when i first brought her home.

Kitty now....

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelvin father was killed in a handgliding accident, and there was no-one to take him in. I was asked if I wouldn't mind offering him a home.

When Kelvie first came to me he was still mourning his owners death - He didn't come out from behind my bed for 3 weeks (except when I wasn't there to eat and poop)! Eventually he started getting used to me and came out more frequently. I then decided to get him a sister for company.

Thats when Phoebe came into our lives - and it was love at first sight! Kelvin became a changed cat overnight - he started grooming the little one, teaching her to use the litter box. And as they say the rest is history.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my two from a friend who's cat had had kittens. Pretty boring compared to some of your stories!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do some volunteering for National Service Dogs and one afternoon I came by to walk the dogs. As soon as I walked in, I heard some very loud meowing, louder than the dogs barking! I turned around, and this scrawny, flea-bitten, mite-ridden little kitten came meowing out into the barn, demanding some attention. I found out that it had walked out of the cornfield and followed a lady while she was walking the dogs. He was unfazed by the big dogs (who were interested in him), but apparently the resident 2 barn cats were NOT impressed with this newcomer. He was so pathetic I just fell in love! I went to pick my husband up from his golf game and told him that we're getting a new addition to our family. He got quite a fright until I explained this addition has 4 legs and some ear mites! So I took little Pushkin home and got him all cleaned up, now he's a snuggly 2 year old and definitely not scrawny anymore!
His brother Wiggies came from a cat rescue charity. He was found wandering a Burger King carpark and was taken in by a student who realised that they couldn't keep him. When we went to the rescue home, we walked downstairs and opened the door, and little Wiggies was just sitting there with an expectant look on his little angel face! Love at first sight! He and Pushy made great brothers and have been getting into lots of trouble together ever since!

yangdemei

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mitts was found on the side of a busy road by a mutual friend, she thought he was a rat! She cared for him for a month and then we adopted him.

And I agree with some other posters that are first time kitten owners, he really has changed my life for the better!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zakk was offered to me by a former co-worker who was a landlord. She had evicted someone and realized that they left their young cat.
Zakk was six months old and had been living in the basement at their house. We took him home at first sight. We soon realized he might need a little friend. He had a habit of meowing very loud in the a.m. So 5 months later we got a Rocky at 3 mos from the shelter. Although he had a bad eye we could tell he was playful and friendly. My husband felt bad that no one wanted the little guy. He was still w/ his mommy a pretty calico. BTW he is a black/white tux and Zakk is black white bi-color. And so we lived happily ever after...
And Zakk is much more quiet in the morning.

helddown

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I finally moved out of student residence and in to my own place, I decided I wanted a pet. I had a dog at home with my parents, and my girlfriend had FOUR cats at home, so I decided I wanted one too. When I visited my parents (300 kilometres away!) I stopped by the humane society to "look" -- and walked out with Napoleon, the little twerp.

A few months later we were saying that Napoleon needed a friend but sadly I couldn't afford to adopt one, when we found a pregnant feral dying under the porch. We took her to the vet, had her fixed up, and she came to live with me. She was named Josephine.

That's how I got my two!