How about a book club?

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Intersting.
In LOTR, Sauron lives in Barad-Dûr (which means "Dark Tower").
And the story takes place in Middle Earth . . . sort of similar to Mid-World.
Weird, huh?
-Ryan

The Tower of Barad-Dûr

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really think you should read this series....just from what you have posted here so far, I think you would really enjoy it!!!
It kind of sucks you in and doesn't let go!!! I loved it!!!

Is there anyone else here who has read King's "Dark Tower" series and can add more about it???

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever read any H.P. Lovecraft? He was a great writer . . . and wordy. He had this mythos -The Cthulu Mythos- which ran through his fiction. Sometimes he wrote stories directly connected to The Cthulu Mythos, and sometimes his stories were about something totally different, but you could see the shadow of Cthulu over it. It was as if The Cthulu Mythos was an underlying reality in Lovecraft's fictional world.
This is kind of what SK did with the dark tower series. The first part of "Hearts in Atlantis" was tied in with the Dark Tower, as was the book "Sleepwalkers." I think it's interesting that King created this separate fiction to underly the reality of his stories.
I'll pick up the Dark Tower books. What's the first one called?
-Ryan

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first one is called "The gunslinger" and I assume you are talking about "Low Men in Yellow Coats" with the tie in.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah! That's it.
Plus there's references to the actual structure, the Dark Tower.
Is it an acual structure?
Maybe I should read the books and find out.
-R

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you will love the books! Let me know when you get through the first one how you liked it!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephen King has more depth than a lot people give him credit for. He also had a villain called Flagg in 2 books, Eye of the Dragon and The Stand.

I'm reading a book called The Cat Who'll Live Forever by Peter Gethers. He also wrote A Cat Abroad and The Cat who Went to Paris. It's a true story of the writer and his Scottish Fold cat, Norton. A good book for all of us crazy cat people.