How about a book club?

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info Debby, I'm planning on reading it really soon, as well as Sullivan's Island.

~Sandi

kyttin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I just wanted to recommend a really good book I just got done reading. It is called The Loop and is by Nicholas Evans. He is also the author of The Horse Whisperer, the book that the movie was based off of.

The loop is a very good book if you like books dealing with animals. It is about ranch life in Montana dealing with wolves. I won't go into really any detail for it might spoil the plot. It has a love story interwoven into it and really makes for interesting reading. It is really a page turner. I couldn't put it down. It is based on real facts too. It's not a true story but most of the details about how they delt with the wolves are true.

Let me know how ya like it if you decide to read it.

Kyttin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read the Loop also. I found it entralling and I couldnt put it down either, and it also saddened me what they did - I wont go into details and ruin it for others.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm "The Loop" sounds intersting, I'll keep an eye out for that one too!!
The book I'm reading at the moment is called Csardas (pro Shar-dash apparently!?!?) by Diane Pearson, I've almost finished it and I don't want it to end!! Its a fabulous book and I highly recommend it

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone read Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I have heard rave reviews but I would rather hear from someone who has actually read it, so I know whether to get it or not.
What is Csardas about bodlover?

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard great reviews about that book too, but haven't read it

Csardas is about Russia/Hungary/etc etc during the wars, I know I know - as sson as I hear "about the war" I think its going to suck.. but this book is fantastic - it even made me cry!!! (I gotta stop reading it at work!! :laughing: )
Its another "got everything" kinda book... love, betrayal, murder, revenge, crises etc etc etc, the story folloes the life and trials of a rich family of nobility, their triumphs and downfalls, their loves and losses, everything, its really engrossing

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohh sounds interesting!
I just finished Sullivan's Island, and so I am going to start reading 'The Seventh Scroll' by Wilbur Smith. I have read it before but it was so good that I have decided to read it again - its about a man and a woman (typical) who are looking for the seventh scroll and have to solve those puzzles created by an ancient egyptian to protect them and at the same time they are being followed by baddies. A typical Wilbur Smith book, but I dont normally read them - my aunt recommended it, and I thought it was going to be boring but it hooked me right in.

Another recommendation I would like to make, my very very favourite book in the whole wide world, 'Boy's Life' by Robert McCammon, its so darn good, about a boy growing up in Alabama in the 60s. It has the elements of a murder mystery but it is also a coming of age tale (which I love) and the writing is beautiful - it describes the magic of childhood to a tee, I believe that we have that magic in us, but it is taken out of us when we get older, but I like to think that I still have some of it because I think its important.

Kellye (c:

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Seventh Scroll sounds good!!! I have never even thought about reading a Wilbur Smith book before, I've heard of him but just (possibly mistakenly) assumed I wouldn't like the kind of stories he writes... maybe I shall stand corrected when I read it!!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeanie, The Stand is my favorite Stephen King novel, too. Although I really liked The Dead Zone and Hearts in Atlantis, too.

I love books! I just read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, it's a retelling of the life of Dinah, the daughter of Leah and Jacob in the Bible. Excellent story, and very empowering.

I haven't read much in the fantasy realm, but I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I am now in book 8, after struggling through the end of book 7. I also liked Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). They're written for teens, but they are really good books.

Another favorite is Winter Dance, by Gary Paulsen. It's about his experiences running the Iditarod and how he trained his dogs. Some really hilarious moments in that one.

I also love Anne Rice, guess I will put her new book on my Christmas list!

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love to read epic stories. Tolkien is my all time favorite author, but I also love Frank Herbert. I'm reading the fifth book in the "Dune" series right now and it's fantastic! It's got sociopolitical intrigue as well as fascinating insights into the nature of religion. It's an epic that spans thousands of years.
Also, I like Stephen King. I used to read him all the time, but I had to stop. I have some pretty severe phobias, and Stephen King, as great of a writer as he is, isn't good for me to read. I've read Koontz, too, but I didn't like him as much as Stephen King.
-R-

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey. I really like the blend of fantasy and historical fiction. I also read her book, The Gates of Sleep and enjoyed it, too.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got two Dean Kootnz books yesterday...Winter Moon and False memory. I want to read the one my secret santa (jgaruba) sent me first, but was wondering if any of you had read those other two and if they are good...I think I recall some of you saying you had read them.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read False Memory, it was pretty good, and I became engrossed in it. I cannot remember if I have read Winter Moon because I have read so many of Koontz' books. But I loved one of them "Watchers' - the one with the dog.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I will have to put watchers on my list of his books to get! I loved the first one I read.."Intensity"

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello!
I bought a new book yesterday and already I am halfway through it - 'A girl named Zippy' (Growing up small in Mooreland, Indiana) and it is so good. Its about a young girl nicknamed Zippy and this is about a happy childhood. Very well written and easy to read. I highly recommend it!

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up reading Stephen King. I never really cared for Koontz. But then again, I'm probably biased. I tend to find one author and stay with him/her, rejecting all others on principal. My whole family loves C.S. Lewis and Piers Anthony . . . but I think Tolkien beats them both by a billion miles.
-Ryan

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up reading SK too - the first Stephen King book I read was Christine when I was 11 years old. I have outgrown him and read more non fiction.
But there is one book I highly recommend and that is 'Boy's Life' by Robert R McCammon.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Stephen King and have many of his books, I wish he's come out with another in the Dark Tower series! I love that series!!!

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'v never read the Dark Tower series! I can't read SK anymore bcause of my phobia.
Are the Dark Tower books horror books?
-Ryan

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually no...they aren't horror. They are a little bit different than his usual writings....they are more fantasy oriented. It starts out with a man finding a doorway into another person's mind and being able to look out through their eyes....and then it goes on from there to discovering a whole new world that exists outside of this one, and I just can't even describe it, but the whole series is so good!!! My hubby who rarely reads, read the whole series and LOVED it!!! The only other series he had ever read was the Hobbit. I think you would like them!!! I believe their are 4 books so far in the series, but I could be wrong, I would have to look at my books....I have the first one in front of me..."The Gunslinger" and here is a snipet from it...(it tells about it)...

"The Gunslinger tells how Roland, the last gunslinger in a world which has "moved" on, pursues and finally catches the man in black, a sorcerer named Walter who falsely claimed the friendship of Roland's father in the days when the unity of Mid-World still held. Catching this half-human spell-caster is not Roland's ultimate goal but only another landmark along the road to the powerful and mysterious Dark Tower, which stands at the nexus of time. Who exactly is Roland? What was his world like before it moved on? What is the Tower and why does he pursue it? Roland is a kind of knight, one of those charged with holding (or possibly redeeming) a world Roland remembers as being filled with love and light."