House Hold Pet class

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiffany,

Sorry the show didn't go as well as you hoped. If it's any consolation, Duke's reaction is the norm for most cats. If I had to hazzard a guess, I'd say for every 10 cats that look good enough to win a title, only one will be a cat that will tolerate the showhall and succeed.
Even those cats should be started out as 4 month old kittens. I even go so far as to take a 3 month old into the showhall just to acclimate them to the noise and atmosphere. They just stay in the benching area.

It can be very stressful for a cat who is only used to being at home to suddenly be thrust into the show scene. Duke just isn't accustomed to that environment. No fault of his or yours!

If you plan to show your new bengal, start him as early as you can. Play the radio at a medium volume while you're away from home, so he becomes used to strange voices and sounds. The PA system at the shows can be very unerving for cats that aren't used to that sort of thing. Get lots of your friends to handle him in the same manner that the judges do. Subject him to new things as often as you can. Car rides, visits to pet stores, anyone new (people with glasses, hats, males, females, kids, people in wheelchairs, etc.), loud noises, enroll him in a human-animal-bond program through the red-cross.
The more he is subjected to these things and tolerates it, the better he will behave in the showhall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Nial.

The funny thing is that we usually have the television or the radio on at home, and my husband has been remodeling the house so Duke has gotten used to the circular saw/hammering/drilling/dropping/etc. Whenever we have company, he's very playful with them and never shys away. Oh well, its no fun showing if Duke isn't happy with it. I'm OK with that.

As for Ares, I know how important it is that bengals especially behave in the ring. I'm gonna work on that.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
GK, I believe the judges name was Jim Mendenhall.

Unfortunately, I don't see any oci's in the book. But there were a few cornish rexes.

A LOT of longhaired cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking, I didn't think there would be oci's - haven't seen them in ACFA shows for awhile - don't know why. I might just put Charlie in the ACFA show end of April (he'll be a kitten till the Tuesday AFTER the show) - wont have to register him if shown as a kitten

Were the cornies from Burthay cattery?

Waiting sorta patiently for Shannon to report in on her wins/Carol's comments

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. Three cornish rexes in all. One with a Burthay Sire owned by Carol Barbee. Two co-owned by RJ Burthay.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, then Carol would be showing her's on Sunday since she judged Saturday. R Burthey is Ricky - he's cool. Him and Ron Summers own Burthay cattery. They are both good friends of mine.

Was gonna ask if Ricky or Ron was there, but you would have NO idea who they were.....

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully when I start showing Ares, I'll be able to stay long enough to make friends.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello guys!!

I just got home. I will upload the pictures in a separate thread.

Tobie did pretty well for a first-timer! In the first ring, he copped a bit of an attitude and got 9th Best HHP (out of 14, I think).

In the second ring, he did a little better playing with stuff and didn't hiss so much, so he got 3rd Best HHP.

In the next ring, the judge got a real kick out of him, and even though Tobie still wasn't thrilled about being handled (mostly squirmy), he got 2nd Best HHP.

Carol judged the fourth ring, and he got 3rd Best there. I am so proud of him!!!

There was this gorgeous, very laid-back orange tabby and white long-haired Selkirk Rex/American Shorthair mix (I think?) that won first in every round (I think... I wasn't too worried about writing everyone else's wins down in the catalogue).

He did really, really well while in a cage... alert, looking around, occasionally sticking his paw out at the judge, playing a bit... but once the judge would take him out, he would squirm and meow-complain. He would shake like a leaf if I walked around with him in the benching area for too long. Some of the other presenters said that's pretty normal, and I'll know more about his show attitude the next time I show him.

As for color... heh. I don't think anyone can come to a consensus (after the debate here, that doesn't surprise me!). The first three judges thought he should be a seal lynx mink. I couldn't find Carol before the show, and another presenter who seemed to be well-respected told me to change his color to just a seal lynx point (I knew it was wrong, but I went along with it
).

Carol, on the other hand, thought his eyecolor was too yellow to be a mink. She says she sees ticking on his back fur... so, she agrees with you, Goldenkitty, that he is probably a chocolate ticked tabby or a chocolate silver ticked tabby. She says she can't tell for sure because the eyes aren't green (seen with silvers) and the shading isn't dramatic enough to call him a silver. She took the time to look at my photo album and came to that conclusion after looking at the parents. She called him a mink at first, too.

Everyone was so very nice, and so many beautiful cats showed up! I felt like Tobie was really well-groomed compared to some of the other longhaired HHPs.
Duke has amazing blue eyes in person... much deeper than the photos show.
Duke wasn't alone in being grouchy, though (so don't feel bad, Tiff)... some people kept their HHPs who weren't so happy in the show. Some got really grouchy later, but weren't in the first ring. It seems rather unpredictable!

There wasn't much of a variety of breeds there, so that was a little disappointing.... a few Sekirks, Birmans, Abyssinians, a couple Ragamuffins and Ragdolls, a few Cornish Rex, lots of Maine Coon, some Siberians, some Norwegians, some Balinese, some Tonkinese, lots of British and American Short Hairs, and a few Persians and Exotics. There was one Bengal today. Looking through the catalogue, there will be more Bengals tomorrow and a few Burmese too (Delores Kennedy's, one of the judges).

It was a blast... I bought some kitty things from the vendors and had fun chatting with my neighbors. I am definitely going to another one, possibly the one in Portage, IN in February.

Pics coming a bit later!!

Thanks to all of you who encouraged us to show. I would have never thought to do it without you guys!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention how awesome the Maine Coons were... just huge! I mean, we all *know* they're the biggest breed, but those paws... and those heads... man!!!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay! Go Tobie!!! You're so handsome, you deserved it all!

I think I may go back tomorrow (its only about 25 min away) and try my camara again. Plus, I want to see some bengals!

That tabby longhair that won 1st was beautiful! His coat was amazing!

There was also a beatiful birman(?) that only had three legs. She was so sweet! And then there was a blue eyed white that was deaf. She was very pretty.

Can't wait to see pics Shannon! Maybe I'll see you at the Portage show with Ares. I'm really glad we got a chance to meet.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Yay! Go Tobie!!! You're so handsome, you deserved it all!

I think I may go back tomorrow (its only about 25 min away) and try my camara again. Plus, I want to see some bengals!

That tabby longhair that won 1st was beautiful! His coat was amazing!

There was also a beatiful birman(?) that only had three legs. She was so sweet! And then there was a blue eyed white that was deaf. She was very pretty.

Can't wait to see pics Shannon! Maybe I'll see you at the Portage show with Ares. I'm really glad we got a chance to meet.
Hopefully, I'll be there... but we'll see what money is like and the work schedule and all. I would love to meet Ares... and see some real glitter!

That three-legged Birman did really well. She was gorgeous!

I forgot to mention that Tobie got the verbal "Sweet Face Award" from Delores Kennedy. She even wrote it on our ribbon. She really liked him, even though he complained a lot with her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are more then welcome - give Toby a big hug from us and I know you have his rosettes displayed on the walls

Very impressive for a 1st show.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done Shannon!!! It is really an impressive result for a first time out!

I'm sorry Duke wasn't so happy Tiff...
and Nial is right, it's no fault of his or yours.

On my side to day, I had a very interesting show! It was only 2 rings and my Lou did amazingly well!
4th Best in one ring and 9th best in the other!!!!

Stevie managed another 23 grand points and that makes him a miserable 6 points short of granding

And Dodo, well Dodo, beat her daddy (stevie) in the first ring! She finalled at 9th best.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics (camera challenged as you all know) but I will post that I get over my emails!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats, Abymummy! I'm glad to hear it went well for you too.

Will you have to show Stevie again to get his points to grand?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats to you Aby with yours
I hope I have something good to report for Charlie - we gave him his bath today (will wash him again the week of the show). He did fine.

I'm waiting to post the bath pics with the show pictures.

Doesn't is make you a little upset that you are 6 points short! Next show will take care of those 6 dumb points ......

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that Duke had a bad day and didn't like it, but still at least you tried! And sounds as if Tobie really took to it bless him! Despite posting earlier in this thread that I was interested in showing Radar I really think he's too bonkers and always has been to be able to be shown. I have a mad cat. Maybe under sedation he wouldn't wreck the place
(hopefully that comes across as the joke it's meant to be - the sedation bit is a joke anyway, he is actually nuts though!)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Congrats, Abymummy! I'm glad to hear it went well for you too.

Will you have to show Stevie again to get his points to grand?
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Congrats to you Aby with yours
I hope I have something good to report for Charlie - we gave him his bath today (will wash him again the week of the show). He did fine.

I'm waiting to post the bath pics with the show pictures.

Doesn't is make you a little upset that you are 6 points short! Next show will take care of those 6 dumb points ......
You cannot imagine the pain I'm in that I have to show him again! One more ring should do it for him aaarrrrggghhh!

I now have the secret to calming cats down in the show hall and if anyone wants it, please pm me!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Abymummy! The next show will be a cinch!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Hello guys!!

I just got home. I will upload the pictures in a separate thread.

Tobie did pretty well for a first-timer! In the first ring, he copped a bit of an attitude and got 9th Best HHP (out of 14, I think).

In the second ring, he did a little better playing with stuff and didn't hiss so much, so he got 3rd Best HHP.

In the next ring, the judge got a real kick out of him, and even though Tobie still wasn't thrilled about being handled (mostly squirmy), he got 2nd Best HHP.

Carol judged the fourth ring, and he got 3rd Best there. I am so proud of him!!!

There was this gorgeous, very laid-back orange tabby and white long-haired Selkirk Rex/American Shorthair mix (I think?) that won first in every round (I think... I wasn't too worried about writing everyone else's wins down in the catalogue).

He did really, really well while in a cage... alert, looking around, occasionally sticking his paw out at the judge, playing a bit... but once the judge would take him out, he would squirm and meow-complain. He would shake like a leaf if I walked around with him in the benching area for too long. Some of the other presenters said that's pretty normal, and I'll know more about his show attitude the next time I show him.

As for color... heh. I don't think anyone can come to a consensus (after the debate here, that doesn't surprise me!). The first three judges thought he should be a seal lynx mink. I couldn't find Carol before the show, and another presenter who seemed to be well-respected told me to change his color to just a seal lynx point (I knew it was wrong, but I went along with it
).

Carol, on the other hand, thought his eyecolor was too yellow to be a mink. She says she sees ticking on his back fur... so, she agrees with you, Goldenkitty, that he is probably a chocolate ticked tabby or a chocolate silver ticked tabby. She says she can't tell for sure because the eyes aren't green (seen with silvers) and the shading isn't dramatic enough to call him a silver. She took the time to look at my photo album and came to that conclusion after looking at the parents. She called him a mink at first, too.

Everyone was so very nice, and so many beautiful cats showed up! I felt like Tobie was really well-groomed compared to some of the other longhaired HHPs.
Duke has amazing blue eyes in person... much deeper than the photos show.
Duke wasn't alone in being grouchy, though (so don't feel bad, Tiff)... some people kept their HHPs who weren't so happy in the show. Some got really grouchy later, but weren't in the first ring. It seems rather unpredictable!

There wasn't much of a variety of breeds there, so that was a little disappointing.... a few Sekirks, Birmans, Abyssinians, a couple Ragamuffins and Ragdolls, a few Cornish Rex, lots of Maine Coon, some Siberians, some Norwegians, some Balinese, some Tonkinese, lots of British and American Short Hairs, and a few Persians and Exotics. There was one Bengal today. Looking through the catalogue, there will be more Bengals tomorrow and a few Burmese too (Delores Kennedy's, one of the judges).

It was a blast... I bought some kitty things from the vendors and had fun chatting with my neighbors. I am definitely going to another one, possibly the one in Portage, IN in February.

Pics coming a bit later!!

Thanks to all of you who encouraged us to show. I would have never thought to do it without you guys!
There you go, Goldenkitty! I guess I remembered the terms incorrectly, but there you go... Carol indeed thinks he's a chocolate ticked tabby of some sort. And after seeing pics of Sofia and the other kittens, she said the silver part is a good possibility too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to know I've learned something from Carol
- With the rexes I studied genetics and colors. But Ling has Carol stumped (we even contacted another ACFA judge/breeder who is better then Carol in genetics - neither had a clear explanation as to why she changed 3 times from birth!

Still a mystery. Guess we will never know.