Hours old kitten care, urgent help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why not today? The kitten needs to start antibiotics as soon as possible.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten may die from this, in fact, she probably will if it's left untreated. She's tiny and lacks an immune system strong enough to fight the bacterial infection.  If the vet can't see her today, see if he will at least agree to let you pick up the antibiotic.  Take the picture of the kitten's paw to show him how serious it is.  Bacteria can move very, very quickly within a little kitten's system - you may have only a few hours before antibiotics can no longer overcome the infection. 

@sarthur2 and @talkingpeanut have a lot of experience with newborn kittens and are giving you excellent advice when they say the kitten needs to be seen today.  @smudge12 is also giving you excellent advice.

Even if the kitten survives until tomorrow, the costs of treatment will be higher than today when hopefully an antibiotic will be enough.

Please take the little mite to the vet. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you I'm trying very hard. So I've mixed about 2-3tsp of honey in 250ml of water and rubbed a bit on its lips and gums, it's meowing right now about to feed it KMR in about 2 mins. (Giving it 5 mins after honey)

It is meowing right now so it definitely got some energy. I'm going to go hunt for a fluffy toy.
Yes, its OK amount of honey to 250 ml water.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

@sarthur2  It is a bit red on the bottom but on the top of the paw its completely black. I will try and consult the vet about this but he has already seen it and he just dressed it and told us to remove the dressing after 1 day which we did.
I too Im concerend by this red AND blackened foot.  It needs surely antibiotics, but possibly also needs to be amputated, as Talking mentioned.  You shall know cats manage nicely with 3 legs, so amputaion isnt as bad as it sounds.  A 3 legged cats is usually fully able to run and even hunt, no problems...

Anywyas, phone and tell how its developing.  Hopefully you will be able to begin with antibiotics asap.

Btw, its probablyw why the vet suggested to take off the bandage as soon the bleeding stopped.  To let air come into, and stop some types of air-hating bacterias...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else. Don't delay on the antibiotics.

Without them even if this baby does survive her legs will need to be amputated ant the very least. That paw looks like it's turning necrotic

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have news.

@StefanZ@Margd@IndyJones

I took her to the vet, she has gangrene in her paw. The doctor told me her chances of survival are really low and also to keep her extremely warm, so I'm sitting her sweating with my a/c on and she is sandwiched between the socks trying to warm up as the doctor told me to do it, he however told me not to give honey or anything because she cant take it (?), He has given her an antibiotic injection for her gangrene paw.

I need prayers guys.

I don't know how I'll live with myself if she doesn't survive, it was my fault I didn't sense that my cat was going to give birth soon.. she gave birth under the bed and I couldn't get to her and I couldn't do anything I'm sorry please pray she survives.

And yes she will be amputated when she grows up obviously.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have news.

@StefanZ
@Margd
@IndyJones

I took her to the vet, she has gangrene in her paw. The doctor told me her chances of survival are really low and also to keep her extremely warm, so I'm sitting her sweating with my a/c on and she is sandwiched between the socks trying to warm up as the doctor told me to do it, he however told me not to give honey or anything because she cant take it (?), He has given her an antibiotic injection for her gangrene paw.

I need prayers guys.
I don't know how I'll live with myself if she doesn't survive, it was my fault I didn't sense that my cat was going to give birth soon.. she gave birth under the bed and I couldn't get to her and I couldn't do anything I'm sorry please pray she survives.
And yes she will be amputated when she grows up obviously.
Is he not worried about it spreading?

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ  No he did not say anything about that, I asked if he's going to dress it so it doesn't spread and he said no..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ
 No he did not say anything about that, I asked if he's going to dress it so it doesn't spread and he said no..
I'm not a vet, but I would think it needs to be amputated to prevent spreading. It's internal now.

Do you plan to spay and neuter your cats?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that you took her to the vet.  Did he give you any antibiotics to give her at home?  I'm really sorry to hear what he said about her chances of survival.  Still, members here have had kittens come back from the brink to thrive and grow into healthy adults.  I will definitely be sending out best wishes and hopes for this dear little girl. 

@talkingpeanut makes a good point.  What did the vet say about keeping the gangrene from spreading?   Is the antibiotic supposed to prevent that?

You mustn't blame yourself for not knowing that your cat was about to give birth.  Plenty of people have had cats give birth when they weren't around or before they knew the birth was coming.  Even if you had been right there, you might not have been fast enough to stop Mama from biting her kitten.  You have given this kitten love and comfort and a fighting chance - try to concentrate on that.  

Last edited:

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my cats are already spayed but this one I just rescued and she was pregnant before I could spay. And yes he said it will 100% be amputated but not now as it would die from bloodloss and it's simply too weak.

As I said before apparently the antibiotic must prevent it from spreading cuz i asked if he would dress it and he said no.

@Margd  Thanks man I honestly appreciate it I love you.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats are already spayed but this one I just rescued and she was pregnant before I could spay. And yes he said it will 100% be amputated but not now as it would die from bloodloss and it's simply too weak.
As I said before apparently the antibiotic must prevent it from spreading cuz i asked if he would dress it and he said no.
@Margd
 Thanks man I honestly appreciate it I love you.
Ok good to know. I was worried that your male bit it because he was intact and aggressive towards the kitten.

Please be very very watchful in terms of the gangrene spreading. If the antibiotics don't work, you may need to have the kitten put down.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ   Okay, will do. And uh I'm worried again, the vet is closed and it was overfed about 4 hours ago so it bled from its nose, we rushed it to the vet and thats when she had gotten the antibiotics etc, but she's bleeding again now and the vets closed, what shall I do? It's also weirdly jerking its body.. I don't know what to do. I'm trying to call the vet's number but he is not picking up..

https://goo.gl/photos/4X7W1XnEUbwDPg5P9

I wiped the blood from the nose for now.. 

And what are the signs Ineed to watch for to check if gangrene is spreading or getting better?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
sukablyat sukablyat

It sounds as though the kitten is having a seizure, and perhaps dying. Please offer comfort. There is not much else you can do.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ
  Okay, will do. And uh I'm worried again, the vet is closed and it was overfed about 4 hours ago so it bled from its nose, we rushed it to the vet and thats when she had gotten the antibiotics etc, but she's bleeding again now and the vets closed, what shall I do? It's also weirdly jerking its body.. I don't know what to do. I'm trying to call the vet's number but he is not picking up..

https://goo.gl/photos/4X7W1XnEUbwDPg5P9

I wiped the blood from the nose for now.. 

And what are the signs Ineed to watch for to check if gangrene is spreading or getting better?
I'm so sorry. I think her body is probably shutting down. She wouldn't bleed from overfeeding. Sit with her and keep her warm.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

@Margd  Thanks man I honestly appreciate it I love you.
Yes, I can imagine she is too weak for an operation at this moment, when you barely had rescued her from dying.  But the amputation wont come when she is grown up, but probably in a few days, if you manage to get her better and growe some.   So it probably will hang on a hair.  You are racing against a fire, literally.

Although I dont understand what he has against honey.  Perhaps its something peculiar with honey in Saudi??   Same reason why your father objected too?

Anyways, the vet surely understand I dont propose honey as some sort of miracle cure as such (even if raw honey HAS some nice properties).  Im talking about honey as the easiest awailable source of glucose sugar.  So why doenstn the vet suggest you some other source of glucose sugar, available in your country?  The vet has surely the real thing, ie the glucose sugar powder, or some  liquid form of it....  Or ready made pedialyte.   Pedialyte is essentially a solution of salts and glucose sugar, in the same concetration as is in blood.

Or perhaps he meant, the worst crisis is over now, now she is up and fighting, so no honey pedialyte is necessary at this moment.

Last, you mention you had spayed your other cats.  Its interesting.  Other forumites from Saudi had told us, many vets in Saudi are reluctant for non medical emergency spaying.  This done just in emergencies, for exampel with infection in there.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats not good at all. That's looks like seizures from low blood sugar. Rub some glucose on her cheeks. The bleeding from the nose though wouldn't be from over feeding.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm holding her now.

I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.