Hours old kitten care, urgent help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my pregnant tabby went into labor today at 10:30PM without my knowledge, it gave birth under my bed and has abandoned the kitten, the kitten itself im pretty sure is premature or underweight. My other cat bit the kittens hand, I couldn't help her as she was under the bed, after 30 mins of trying to get it out, we got it out and it is very weak. We then put it next to the mom but it wouldnt latch on to its teat, We tried multiple times for over 2 hours, no luck. During this the mom gave birth to a healthy looking stillborn, since then nothing to report, finally at 4 pm we took the injured premature to the vet, he dressed it's wound and gave us KMR, told us to keep it warm, apparently the mom is not producing milk so that's why it wasnt drinking milk, since then I've been feeding her the milk as directed, now I have a few issues that I'd like to ask you guys solutions for:

(The vet is closed right now so y'all are all i have, and I live in saudi arabia there is no such thing as 24/7 veterinary clinic.)

1. The newborn bled out a little bit from its anus when it was excreting feces, it does not need my help ie rubbing its area to stimulate excretion, its apparently doing it on its own but it did bleed, should I be worried?

2. The newborn is very very cold to the touch. I do not have heating pads and its 12:43 AM I can't get anything. What I've done for now is a water bottle filled with hot water in a sock, square shaped so it doesn't roll over on the kitten. What more can I do? Is this enough to keep her warm? She still feels somewhat cold to the touch.. (including her paws and ears)

3. I was told to remove the dressing from the wound on the newborn, so I did but it bled a little bit.. should I be worried? 

I'll attach pics. 

Guys I'm really worried because the kitten is SUPER SUPER COLD to the touch, its no where near the optimal 100F/37c.. this is my major concern. I've tried wool sweater + warm bottle in a sock, its doing nothing to the kitten. Should I turn on my A/C to max heat or something?

The weather in saudi is bad right now, so ambient temp is around 27-30C, and it was raining yesterday so its pretty cold.. idk what to do to keep her warm..

Pics:

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
While waiting for one of our kitten experts to reply, I'll just mention that you can fill a couple of warm socks up with rice, microwave them for 5 minutes and put them around the kitten.  That should do ab better job than the hot water in a sock and last longer.  Hopefully, someone who can really answer your questions will be by soon.  Sending you the very best wishes for that sweet little kitten.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Won't microwaving the socks for that long make it too hot for the kitten? I'm scared it'll burn her or something.. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm not one of the kitten experts on the site, but that's the recommendation I often see in the Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum.  Just to be on the safe side, can you test the temperature of the rice inside and the sock outside?  

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It'll be great if you can tell me how hot the rice sock needs to be to the touch?

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any way of taking the temperature of the sock?  It seems to me that it should be at least 100F, maybe even a degree higher since it will cool down.  Gads. I wish I had experience in this because I really don't know how hot it should feel to the touch.  I'm going to do a search of the site and see if I can find an answer for you.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also searching for the same, I don't have a way of taking the temperature of the sock right now sadly and as I said its 1:18 AM now so I cant exactly go out and buy anything..

margd

Veteran
Purraise
All I've managed to do is confirm that the recommendation is a sock full of uncooked rice microwaved for 5 minutes for heat that lasts 3 - 4 hours.   With socks being different sizes and microwaves differing in wattage, there must be some play in that figure.  Perhaps you could start with three minutes and keep adding time until it feels very warm to the touch but not extremely hot.  I know those terms are terribly imprecise.  I'll keep searching.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks I'll try that, I've messaged @StefanZ so I'll  wait for what they want to say about this sock thing.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
@sarthur2  is another expert on this issue so I just tagged her.  One thing you might try is to touch the tummy of the mother with the inside of your wrist and try to duplicate that with the rice sock.  It really is important that the kitten be kept warm, probably the most important thing you can do right now.  You can also try putting the kitten next to your bare chest until you hear back from our experts.  That will definitely help provide steady heat within the desired range.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mother is hiding right now. but smart suggestion thank you very much.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have mom closed in a room with the baby and everything she needs? And all of the other cats closed out?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks I'll try that, I've messaged @StefanZ so I'll wait for what they want to say about this sock thing.
The call didnt "took" - you see the name in blue if it works.  But I got your PM with the link.

OK, you got good advices re warming up.  Its good she has these covers and socks, but she needs an active heating source - heat pad, or such a rice sock mentioned.  Or your chest.    IR-lamps are effective - many rheumatic persons has such.   People having terraires or hatching chickens has them too.

You did got KMR - good.  Goats milk is another alternative.  Raw goats milk is excellent if you can get this.   Observe, dont give it when the kitten isnt fully warmed up.  A cold kitten cant process and digest the food properly.

continue, stand by

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, mom and cat are in same room with food water and litter box for mom. Vet told us to keep mom away from kitten because it may eat her because it has abandoned her.. so I've put the kitten in a closed cage.

I have yet another problem, the hand injury wont stop bleeding.. the dressing has come off and I can't dress it again as 1. Vet is closed 2. I dont have the dressing material myself.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ. Yes I observed this when i tried to give KMR to it while it was still cold, and the milk came out of its nose, I've been taking it slowly since then, now uh like I said the hand injury wont stop bleeding, even if very slowly.

And secondly its not exactly cuddling up to the rice sock, I don't think it's getting the warmth, Should I place it on the sock itself? If not that then what?

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A trick with weak kittens, is you prepare  water with a honey, ie thick honey water (warm it up, so it mixes easier).   You can smear this on the lips and gum. It gives quick energy, because the glucose sugar / dextrose in honey, goes directly into blood already from the mouth, it doesnt need to be digested.

By the same reason, it works on kittens whom are too cold to digest  KMR properly, or are dying...  The digesting has perhaps stopped, but the glucose goes straight in.

It wont save them if they are dying for real, but it will buy you time if they are "just" weak...    You can also add a little salt to such a water.  So it becomes sort of a homemade pedialyte.

This is NOT instead of  kmr / goats milk, but it will buy you time in an emergency.

Observe, all these fluids shall be body warm!!!

You ask about the bleedings, if its concerning.  Yes, its concerning.  But what to do?  You can wrap up something on the wound on the paw, but the bleeding from behind you cant.  Lets hope its something just very external, which will stop by itself...

I dont know of any home remedy wich tend to stop bleedings, and especielly not internal bleedings....

Try to have high humidity in the room.  If its a premature, its lungs arent fully developed, so its need  humididty in the air...  Dry air dries offf its lungs.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some pictures for reference: 
What shall I do about the aforementioned issues guys? @talkingpeanut
 @StefanZ
 ? Also you might remember me, Im the guy with the white cat, posted about her about a year ago, you two ended up helping me..

I do remember you. How is the white cat?

Can you put a bandaid for humans on the paw? Just to put a bit of pressure on the injury? Don't put it on too tight though. Try not to get the sticky part on the kitten's skin, but wrap the bandaid around itself.

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ  Thanks alot, I'll try and prepare that, is it okay to give it along with the KMR? Or will it be too much for it to handle? Also I'm not sure if its premature or just underweight/weak, so should I give the "home made pedialyte" or not?

Also is there something I can do to increase the humidity? I sadly dont have a humidifier as you really dont want one in a place like Saudi..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten doesnt seem to be extremely premature, its it is shorthair, and red in fur color, its why it seems to be bare legged...   If its no big fault on it, it should be able to survive if you take care of it well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.