Hoping someone can suggest a solution to a kitten problem I'm having ...

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering 7 kittens who are about 8 weeks old.  Because they are having health problems, I am forced to keep them in a room separated from my other cats and kittens I foster as well, as they are probably contagious.

The problem is that every time I need to go into the room and open the door, they all pile up and try to push through.  No matter how much I try to push them back with my hands, legs, feet, plates, bowls, etc., by the time I get in the room at least a couple have escaped and are dashing through the house playing with the kittens I have out here.

Trying to catch them is really difficult for me physically, and since my place is long and narrow they just keep running back and forth.  

Until the vet tells me I can integrate them, I can't, and I don't want the healthy ones getting sick.

Anyone have a suggestion for how I can keep them in the room and be able to get in and out of there to feed them, play with them, and clean up?

Putting everyone out here in another closed off room is not an option; there are too many of them for the small bathroom and the kittens are in the only closed-off room.

(Too many are:  my 5 cats, 5 adult fosters, 2 additional kitten sisters, a 5-week kitten a cop found and asked the rescue to take (which the rescue begged me to foster).

I do have a play-pen in the kitten room that I can zipper up and once I get in the kittens room I put them in there so I can clean and do what I have to.  But there are too many and they are too big to leave in there for long, so I need a way to access the room without refilming "The Great Escape -- The Cat Version" every time I go in there.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

PS:  I cannot WAIT until kitten season is over!!!!!

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Ah yes, I know the kitten crowding you speak of all too well! I typically do the hand/foot block at the door (the newest crew learned quickly that they weren't getting out no matter how hard they tried!) Do you have a baby gate that you can put up in front of the door? If not, I have used foam poster board and packing tape to create a door barrier. I would put it on the outside of the door as those little kitten teeth will eat right through the foam board! Also, carrying treats or wet food and offering that first thing might help them associate you with something tasty that *might* make them more prone to stay in the room rather than bolt down the hallway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL I tried the food thing.  As I open the door I slide their plate with the food on it in the room, hoping that will stop them in their tracks and they'll want to eat.

That works with 4 out of the 7.   Three of them still want out and make a mad dash to the food that's out for the rest of the cats.

However, I like your idea about the poster board.  I will get a large one and try sliding it into the room as I walk in behind it, which should block their way enough that I can at least get the door closed, and then get them into the play pen temporarily while I do what I need to in there..

Great, idea, thanks!   I hope it works!

Last edited: