Holy help or something drastic!!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a mess! My kittens are now a week old and fat and precious...and this!
I woke up this morning to a crate on my door step. Inside was a pretty calico momma and 4 kittens. They are about 2 wks old and sneezing with goopy eyes
I can't take them to the shelter, they will be put down. The local rescues are full already with the spring babies. I don't want to risk my cats getting sick but I am trying to do something for them. The littlest kitten looks very sick. I am trying to bottle feed it. If I find out who did this

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can use a lot of blankets on the ground in the garage and make sure there is heater and rice socks in the creat and place them in there. It isnt that warm but maybe you can get the heat in there. It is worth a shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in So. Cailifornia. I have bottle fed but it was a long time ago. I live in a two bedroom condo and I have the babies in one room and my other cats in the rest of the house. I may try and keep them in the bathroom. My garage is not an option
it is full- completely

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats terrible! Do you have any clue who might of done this? I would be very upset!! I would keep them apart from your other cats for time being and maybe you can get some help in feeding them and get them a home?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for trying to help these babies. Wow, you must have a home full of fur now!!

I hope the little buddies are okay and they get better soon

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would strongly caution against keeping them. I know it sounds heartless, but Festus' litter caught distemper from Garfield's litter when I began fostering him. Even keeping them in separate rooms, you could pass certain things from one litter to the other on your clothing or shoes.

My last litter had sneezes and colds, and the girl I babysit for had her cat come down with a cold after playing with the kittens!

Is there anyone you know who would take them for you? You are risking the health of your current litter if you keep them. Could you at least get the new litter to the vet?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

I'm in So. Cailifornia. I have bottle fed but it was a long time ago. I live in a two bedroom condo and I have the babies in one room and my other cats in the rest of the house. I may try and keep them in the bathroom. My garage is not an option
it is full- completely
I am sorry What ever you have to do please let us know. We are here

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with beckiboo, as harsh as it may seem, you shouldn't keep the sick kittens there. They could all die, and even make the kittens you have sick and die as well as the mom and other cats you already have. I would call the rescues tell them the situation and that you already have baby kittens. They will put her on the top of the list for a foster home. In the mean time while you have them there, take extra precations to keep yours healthy. Keep them in the garage, clear a little spot out and keep them in a crate if you have to, Wear only one pair of shoes and before you come in the house take them off and leave them and jacket by the door, change your clothes and wash hands, and use a hand sanitizer even. If you have to bottle feed one, I would even wear gloves. I know I sound extreme, but I have worked at shelters and have seen how fast sickness will fly through a place and infect every one, your priorities are your cat and kitten, you didn't dump these other ones, they aren't your responiblity, I don't mean to drop them off too, but you can't risk your cats health. I remeber 1 time the dogs got parvo, even though my young dog wasn't a "puppy" any more and had his shots, they still had me stay home and had some one that didn't have a dog work, if they really needed me in, I wasn't allowed out back with the dogs, and worked with the cats, even then there was a chance of carrying some thing away on my shoes. Good luck, I hope they all do ok.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking for you and the babes.
I hope it's nothing worse than URI's... Anyway if you do keep them I would feed your other cats lysine to boost their immune system to help them from catching whatever. I say bring them to the vets, NOW and call round to the shelters.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the momma and babies to the vet after work. He cleaned them up and showed me how to clean their eyes. He said that they were fairly healthy but had a cold. He said they could also have herpes. He suggested I take the bigger kittens out of the crate to clean them up and leave the little guy in to get some extra nursing. They are dirty like they were living under someones porch. I took some picturers I will post. The momma is soo sweet. They are in my bathroom for now and I have told my boys to not go in there. I will try and contact some rescues tomorrow. Thanks for all your good wishes and prayers

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

The garage is what I was saying. I know it is full but you might have no other area.
Yeah, I know you did, it was a good sugestion that's what made me say it, she said it's full, but there's got to be a little spot that can be cleared out to put a crate in for now, it will keep your kittens safe from getting sick by them being out there, and they will be safe in the crate so they don't get into any thing, and keep the kittens from spreading infection through out the whole garage.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, scary huh? If I could find out who did this
I must have that invisible neon sign that can only be seen by stray animals and people looking to dump them. It says SUCKER!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did get some antibiotics. They aren't that bad, except for the smallest one, he keeps sneezing. He is only half the size of the others. I'm not sure what we will do with them. I'm not really excited about company when I use the bathroom

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are cute! You know, they really don't look too bad from what I can see, clean them up a little, take a wet wash cloth and wipe their little noses and clean the gunk off their eyes, check for mites and fleas, and they shpildn't be too bad to get perked back up and doing good, mabey the vet (you should bring them in though) will give an antibiotic. I am only going by the one or two kittens I could see and the mother, as far as I can see in the picture they look good, but I can't see them all, and mabey they are worse then they look *or mabey you have already cleaned their eyes up, if you did, you did a good job!) Any decisions on your delema yet? I hope you can find a rescue to take them if that's what you decide.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn't realize you had already taken them to the vets, I didn't know there were other posts.
I am sorry about your neon sign you better do some thing about that

I hope them poor babies don't have any thing serious wrong with them, if they do have herpes, how easy is it to spread to your cats and kittens? keep your clothes changed and hands washed in between handling litters