hmmm wouldn't touch his primal.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the Calcium is completely separate from the liver.  If you are feeding muscle meat, then you need to use some form of calcium and some form of organs.  (thus the calcium power and liver treat - ONE treat per day per Carolina and Laurie)

As to the sizes of the chunks of meat, I think most use strips rather than chunks, but I really cannot attest to exactly that.  You just don't them to possibly choke on it, which almost happened to one of Laurie's kits (on a duck heart).  She had to do a Cat Heimlich! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the Calcium is completely separate from the liver.  If you are feeding muscle meat, then you need to use some form of calcium and some form of organs.  (thus the calcium power and liver treat - ONE treat per day per Carolina and Laurie)

As to the sizes of the chunks of meat, I think most use strips rather than chunks, but I really cannot attest to exactly that.  You just don't them to possibly choke on it, which almost happened to one of Laurie's kits (on a duck heart).  She had to do a Cat Heimlich! 
Thanks for confirming that.  I did give them both the freeze dried liver and some of the calcium tonight. I went a little on the light side of the calcium only because it was my first usage.

Oh my, That's awful to have your cat choke on their food. The cat Heimlich, huh? I never really thought about choking. Their peices are currently cut pretty small, so small that I don't even think Ulysses is chewing them at all. 

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for confirming that.  I did give them both the freeze dried liver and some of the calcium tonight. I went a little on the light side of the calcium only because it was my first usage.

Oh my, That's awful to have your cat choke on their food. The cat Heimlich, huh? I never really thought about choking. Their peices are currently cut pretty small, so small that I don't even think Ulysses is chewing them at all. 
I don't remember which site I read it on, but it said to cut the chunks no bigger than your pinkie. So looking at my pinky, I make my meat cuts that width and the size of the tip of my pinky. Haven't had any issues with choking, but they still have to chew it some.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that was the WIDTH of your pinkie - at first. :nod: It's best to cut the food into long thin strips. They can chew off bits. In the wild, they'd be ripping and tearing, and it would come off in strips. But the idea, of course, is to work up to being able to just put their serving out in a chunk, so they can chew it up and derive SOME dental benefit from it.

The problem with Flowerbelle was that she's very little - just 7 pounds. If ANY of our other kitties had picked up a whole large duck heart (most are pretty small) and tried to chew it - and it accidentally went down whole - they'd have been able to swallow it. I just cut them in half (usually - she just got to it first, as she's allowed on the counter to eat because of her (former) ADD about eating).

Here's the thread about the kitty heimlich. It's just a good idea to know anyway: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/247448/choking-cat-what-to-do-for-future

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that was the WIDTH of your pinkie - at first.
It's best to cut the food into long thin strips. They can chew off bits. In the wild, they'd be ripping and tearing, and it would come off in strips. But the idea, of course, is to work up to being able to just put their serving out in a chunk, so they can chew it up and derive SOME dental benefit from it.
The problem with Flowerbelle was that she's very little - just 7 pounds. If ANY of our other kitties had picked up a whole large duck heart (most are pretty small) and tried to chew it - and it accidentally went down whole - they'd have been able to swallow it. I just cut them in half (usually - she just got to it first, as she's allowed on the counter to eat because of her (former) ADD about eating).
Here's the thread about the kitty heimlich. It's just a good idea to know anyway: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/247448/choking-cat-what-to-do-for-future
This is good to know. Thank you. 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, There isn't any poop in the litter box again.  It's been two days. Should I relax and wait it out. No behavioral changes or anything.  I'm unsure what a cat that is constipated acts like. I will google it.

They seem to like the beef.  I was also able to have my sister pick up some turkey at Walmart.  I will ask her to cut it into small strips instead of chunks. She's doing me this favor since I'm doing her a favor :-)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, There isn't any poop in the litter box again.  It's been two days. Should I relax and wait it out. No behavioral changes or anything.  I'm unsure what a cat that is constipated acts like. I will google it.

They seem to like the beef.  I was also able to have my sister pick up some turkey at Walmart.  I will ask her to cut it into small strips instead of chunks. She's doing me this favor since I'm doing her a favor :-)
Have you tried to give Libby's plain canned pumpkin? I am certain that Walmart carries it. My cat Pipsqueak gets constipated and I just keep him on the pumpkin - 1 tbsp. a day. Works great for him. Some of my cats will lick the pumpkin off my finger. Of course, not Pip :rolleyes: I just syringe him the pumpkin and then he gets a treat. He actually looks forward to it now. :lol3: There is also Miralax and I am not sure of the dosage, Carolina and Laurie know. Also Egg Lechithin... 1/2 capsule twice weekly sprinkled or mixed in the meat will help. :D :lol3:

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to give Libby's plain canned pumpkin? I am certain that Walmart carries it. My cat Pipsqueak gets constipated and I just keep him on the pumpkin - 1 tbsp. a day. Works great for him. Some of my cats will lick the pumpkin off my finger. Of course, not Pip
I just syringe him the pumpkin and then he gets a treat. He actually looks forward to it now.
There is also Miralax and I am not sure of the dosage, Carolina and Laurie know. Also Egg Lechithin... 1/2 capsule twice weekly sprinkled or mixed in the meat will help.
Thank you.  I was actually at Walmart looking for pumpkin for a recipe my sister wanted me to try. I didn't see any there.  I know I've seen less poo from my boys since they've been eating raw but I'm just curious as to when it is too long. I'm hoping there is poo in the box tonight (my boys are night poopers). If there isn't then I will pick something up to assist with it.  Neither one of them looks uncomfortable or anything so maybe they just have no poo ready.  Is there anything else I can use that I may have at my house already, although I really have nothing at the house :-)

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading zach12's thread and didn't want to hijack but I had a question about feeding times. Perhaps this question belongs in the behavior forums.  I feed my cats at 3am (I'm an early riser) 3pm and again at 6pm.  I would like to somehow spread this out a little but I'm weak and these cats dictate everything that happens in this house. *sigh*

I get up at 3am but I don't leave the house until 4:30.  I feed them about 5 minutes after I get up in the morning. Do most of you do that? Or do you sit, drink coffee, do other things, then feed them.  Also, when I get home at 3pm I basically feed them right away.  I've been slowly trying to push this out, but tend not to because I feel bad because they've gone so long since their last meal. Also, at 5:30pm these cats dart for the kitchen every unusual breath I take thinking they are going to get fed. I'd really like to feed them closer to 8 or 9.  How does one go about doing this? Just suck it up and don't feed them until the times I want? I'm ridiculously weak when it comes to these kitties. A sucker!

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was reading zach12's thread and didn't want to hijack but I had a question about feeding times. Perhaps this question belongs in the behavior forums.  I feed my cats at 3am (I'm an early riser) 3pm and again at 6pm.  I would like to somehow spread this out a little but I'm weak and these cats dictate everything that happens in this house. *sigh*

I get up at 3am but I don't leave the house until 4:30.  I feed them about 5 minutes after I get up in the morning. Do most of you do that? Or do you sit, drink coffee, do other things, then feed them.  Also, when I get home at 3pm I basically feed them right away.  I've been slowly trying to push this out, but tend not to because I feel bad because they've gone so long since their last meal. Also, at 5:30pm these cats dart for the kitchen every unusual breath I take thinking they are going to get fed. I'd really like to feed them closer to 8 or 9.  How does one go about doing this? Just suck it up and don't feed them until the times I want? I'm ridiculously weak when it comes to these kitties. A sucker!
My kitties are on a 10:30am-11am, 7pm, Midnight-1am schedule. It's what works best in our house. We pretty much dictate it. They weren't too keen on waiting when the schedule started, and they still have their moments every now and then where they turn into little hungry monsters, but no matter what, we stick to the schedule (unless someone is sick). In between their mid day deal and night time meal, I will usually play with them to help distract them from staring into the kitchen. :p

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8:45-9am (when I feed, the pet sitters feed earlier)
6pm
11:30pm-12am

@ Wolcar, I think in your case you can feed them a bit later in the morning (yep, drink your coffee, get ready, etc), then feed them as soon as you get home. If you can, feed them a bit later than 6pm....

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
8:45-9am (when I feed, the pet sitters feed earlier)
6pm
11:30pm-12am
@ Wolcar, I think in your case you can feed them a bit later in the morning (yep, drink your coffee, get ready, etc), then feed them as soon as you get home. If you can, feed them a bit later than 6pm....
I try but they are persistent in their stink eyes and jumping in your face (well, Gus does this). I think they are just so used to being fed at that time.  I'm going to try really hard this upcoming week to feed them a little bit later.  I really would like it to be more spread out.

The past few days both Gus & Ulysses has been getting completely raw chunks of meat for their meals.  It has been chicken and I've been adding beef.  This morning it was about half beef half chicken along with a smidge of calcium and their probiotic.  They've also gotten freeze dried liver daily since Friday. I feel like I may be getting better with this, well calmer anyway.  They seem to REALLY enjoy this type of food.  After I give them a few more days of beef I will add a new protein and work my way up to having a few in the freezer.  I also have the taurine on order.  Is there anything I'm currently missing?

Also, I got two poos in the litter box yesterday. Perhaps I'm just not used to such infrequent poops. I get in constipated panic mode with 2 days of no poop. lol

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Most of my cats have a BM every two days (now that they're on raw). Lazlo and Flowerbelle tend towards every 3rd day. Chumley is my only clockwork - same time, same place, EVERY day.

I feed at 8:30am, 5:30pm, and 10:30 - 11:00pm. :nod: