High ALT

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw what a sweetheart. 6 toes? How old?
That was my boy Cheech RIP at 18yrs old- he passed before he was 19 ..... everytime I look at your Sol I see those eyes and think of him.... I was Gifted Cheech from the Hemingway house so he was an authentic Hemingway,Cheech had 7 fronts,all functional-I called him "Monkey "

Oh Wow,sooooo funny-what is YOUR grays name? My girl is Graycie..... Can we see her?

When is Sols follow up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh that’s right. I do remember you saying that. What a sweetheart! My gray cat is Pip, she’s a sweetie too but not super affectionate like sol is.

Attachments

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Identical 😳 that’s crazy! ❤

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they first noted the raised ALT, did they give him any medication for it. There are liver supplements that are often prescribed to help livers recover if there are issues. One of my cats used to have raised ALT and when that happened she would go on antibiotics and her ALT would decrease. Then in another year or so it would happen again and she would go on antibiotics again and it would go back down again. We didn't opt for an ultrasound because she was 15 and already had chronic kidney disease. We knew we wouldn't treat the liver problem if it turned out she had a tumor or something like that. We tried to give her the liver supplements but that didn't work too well. She kept spitting them out:rolleyes2:

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! We have tried every form and trick to give him the Sam E supplement and he would throw up and run and hide and be drooling. It’s horrible. He reacts so violently to the supplement that we have decided to just wait and see if his liver enzymes come down since we’ve changed his food. He seems perfectly normal now. I still wonder if it was all stress. We plan to retest in a few weeks. Thank you for the reply. I’m at a loss for the supplement. Glad to hear about the antibiotic. They did put him on one in the beginning while waiting for urinalysis results. Interesting if that fixed it for
Now. Glad your baby recovered even if for a year at a time.

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you just post all the lab values you were given at the vet? I'm a cat breeder who works in human medicine. I feel like I could maybe help more if I had a clearer picture.
Yes let me locate them and I will post them.

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you just post all the lab values you were given at the vet? I'm a cat breeder who works in human medicine. I feel like I could maybe help more if I had a clearer picture.
Yes let me locate them and I will try to post them.

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I've been unclear. I meant the cat's BMP/CMP. The ALT is simply one of the tests on this panel. Sorry for the misunderstanding and a delay.
I’m not sure I understand?

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure I understand?
Your cat's ALT is a liver enzyme. This enzyme is part of a bigger set of lab values from the blood draw, called either a BMP (smaller set) or a CMP (bigger set). Seeing more of those values can tell us a little more about what's going on with your kitty.

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat's ALT is a liver enzyme. This enzyme is part of a bigger set of lab values from the blood draw, called either a BMP (smaller set) or a CMP (bigger set). Seeing more of those values can tell us a little more about what's going on with your kitty.
Here are his labs… would love your input. 🙏

Attachments

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if milk thistle is an option. It worked for my angel Poppycat.
I will again. I asked him before and he said he wants him to have Sam E but the cat violently rejects it and drools and hides. He had diarrhea today which I think is from the Sam E. He wasn’t his normal self so we aren’t giving it to him again. This was a liquid form which was worse than the pill. What were your babies symptoms and liver enzyme levels?

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What Antibiotics were you prescribed? I think the stress of this is going to kill me. My husband keeps saying I need to get my anxiety in check :( I just need to know my baby will be ok.

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if milk thistle is an option. It worked for my angel Poppycat.
Did you try the Sam E and change to the milk thistle? Did you cat take it without any problems? My baby is getting traumatized over constantly being forced this supplement.

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes let me locate them and I will try to post them.
I think I posted them a few minutes ago but I’m having trouble following this thread 🤦🏻‍♀️. I’m not where I’m posting my reply’s 😩

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
What Antibiotics were you prescribed? I think the stress of this is going to kill me. My husband keeps saying I need to get my anxiety in check :( I just need to know my baby will be ok.
I sympathize,I can completely relate to what you are going through because of what your baby is going through AND because it hurts soooo bad to attribute to the worst part of it all - them being terrified,anxious & stressed Heartbreaking,the calmest,most trusting chilled cat can react that way- you get to the point where you think" is it worth doing this to this baby "... I understand,I'm sorry,I'm praying

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What were your babies symptoms and liver enzyme levels?
I don't recall all the details, but we used denamarin initially and then we switched to milk thistle. Every cat is different though, so what worked for him isn't necessarily what will work for your cat. We used a pill popper, but it sounds to me as though you need to talk to your vet about the issues you're having. Maybe a vet tech lives close enough to stop in and help?

If you can, try and find ways to go for walks or other means of easing your stress, because your cat will pick up on your emotions too.

Last edited: