High ALT

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I’m concerned about my cat. He’s 11 and has been the healthiest cat. Loves to play and full of love. About 3 weeks ago my son moved out of his room and then my cat started having uti issues … took him to the vet and he had crystals in his urine (got a shot of antibiotics). Tested his blood and his ALT was 765 and has stayed there. We retested ALT and urine, urine all clear now but ALT still 765. He doesn’t drink but is eating. He seems to sleep more than usual but we can still get him to play for a bit. He is scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow but this momma is stressing. Please tell me my baby is ok. I’m hoping all this is from my son moving. I worry because it’s been 3 weeks and still high ALT.

sventicles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Can you just post all the lab values you were given at the vet? I'm a cat breeder who works in human medicine. I feel like I could maybe help more if I had a clearer picture.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they first noted the raised ALT, did they give him any medication for it. There are liver supplements that are often prescribed to help livers recover if there are issues. One of my cats used to have raised ALT and when that happened she would go on antibiotics and her ALT would decrease. Then in another year or so it would happen again and she would go on antibiotics again and it would go back down again. We didn't opt for an ultrasound because she was 15 and already had chronic kidney disease. We knew we wouldn't treat the liver problem if it turned out she had a tumor or something like that. We tried to give her the liver supplements but that didn't work too well. She kept spitting them out:rolleyes2:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call ALT the ghost of inflammation elsewhere because it's not always the liver at fault when that one goes high. When was the last time his teeth were checked out? Dental disease is a common reason for ALT to go high. Confoundingly and confusingly, a high ALT may also make your vet hesitate to put him under for the dental examination. Other reasons I have read for a high ALT could be IBD or really inflammation anywhere. It is a good idea to proceed with the ultrasound to rule out more obvious reasons. But if that turns up nothing, I would look to his teeth and perhaps schedule a dental exam if he hasn't had one in six months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ultrasound results today show thickening of the small intestine wall. Don’t know what that could mean. Still waiting to hear back from vet. From what I’ve researched could be ibd. My baby just seems to sleep so much :(.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ultrasound results today show thickening of the small intestine wall. Don’t know what that could mean. Still waiting to hear back from vet. From what I’ve researched could be ibd. My baby just seems to sleep so much :(.
Hi,I'm sorry your baby is not feeling well-there are 2 possibilities that are most likely to be the cause thickening the wall- further testing is very invasive and the good news is that along with the symptoms you've described (& the ones you've NOT mentioned) it's reasonable to expect an IBD diagnosis ,with an irritable bowel your cat can live happily, comfortably for many years to come with managed care.... let us HOPE for the best and keep praying for kitty.... No doubt you will do whatever your Vet recommends for treatment and give him the best care possible!

Please do let us no what your Vets diagnosis is and may I ask what your babies name is? I will keep him in my prayers (& you).....Lethargy is a typical symptom ,I'm sure your heart is heavy right now -Im having FAITH that you are going to get positive news from the Vet about a treatment plan you can start so that baby will resume a great quality of life ( for a very long time❤)

We love photos too btw.....

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement… his name is Sol. He is the sweetest cat. I will try to attach some pics. Thank you again! ❤

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement… his name is Sol. He is the sweetest cat. I will try to attach some pics. Thank you again! ❤
Oh nooooooo-now I'm melted into mush- Sol greatly resembles my Cheech(RIP) the love of my life of nearly 2 decades- & he was diabetic!

I'll cheer you on anytime-that's what we do-support & encourage one another through anything that comes our way---- you've got friends❤

He is GORGEOUS-,Sol has my heart!

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh nooooooo-now I'm melted into mush- Sol greatly resembles my Cheech(RIP) the love of my life of nearly 2 decades- & he was diabetic!

I'll cheer you on anytime-that's what we do-support & encourage one another through anything that comes our way---- you've got friends❤

He is GORGEOUS-,Sol has my heart!
Thank you! Met with a new vet. Liver enzymes have climbed more. Vet wants us to change his food and give liver supplement. He’s not worried at this time because upon his exam he said ail is a very healthy cat. Why the high liver enzymes he’s not sure. He said the small intestine could be IBD and that inflammation could cause the liver enzymes to go up a little. He does not believe it’s cancer. We are basically chasing a ghost. We will retest liver enzymes in a month and if they are still high then we will repeat ultrasound. We also plan to take in a stool sample to rule out parasites. Thank you for your support and I’m so sorry for your loss. They are family and it’s hard to lose them. ((Hugs))

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Met with a new vet. Liver enzymes have climbed more. Vet wants us to change his food and give liver supplement. He’s not worried at this time because upon his exam he said ail is a very healthy cat. Why the high liver enzymes he’s not sure. He said the small intestine could be IBD and that inflammation could cause the liver enzymes to go up a little. He does not believe it’s cancer. We are basically chasing a ghost. We will retest liver enzymes in a month and if they are still high then we will repeat ultrasound. We also plan to take in a stool sample to rule out parasites. Thank you for your support and I’m so sorry for your loss. They are family and it’s hard to lose them. ((Hugs))
Thank you- it is hard

I get to see Sol though- my heart goes pitter pat!Sounds like you have a plan with the new Vet and I think it's a smart one

your baby is in my prayers...... I do hope the different diet and supplinents bring those numbers down-keep us posted( with photos would be fantastic!please)

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw what a sweetheart. 6 toes? How old?

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I see a gray one. We have a gray one too! How funny ❤

Bgoodmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So your baby was 20? What a blessing. I pray and hope I get another 10 years with my guy.

Our gray cat might have diabetes. She will be our next one to sort out. Right now working on her diet.