hi, new here

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It is a very common misconception that having more than 1 cat means they will only bond with each other not you. This is false! =)

I have 6 cats of my own (ages 16, two 5 yr old litter mates, two 3 yr old brothers and another 3 yr old that is 2 weeks behind the boys, but was raised with them from the time she was 2 wks.) They greet me at the door when I get home, take turns laying in my lap (sometimes 2 get in my lap) and they all sleep in the bed with me at some point during the night.

But, I work for a rescue and have crazy, odd hrs. When I am gone for a length of time, I know they have each other for company.

Last edited:

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on how big your box is. Cats do share a box, but they need plenty of room, and you have to clean it every day. As they leave the safe room and take over your house, you might end up getting two for convenience. Having two cats just means you get double kisses!

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While keeping her in a separate room is great, she should also interact with you in there. Just getting use to the place doesn't mean she'll get use to you. Just go in and sit and talk to her. Use toys to try and encourage her to play. If she refuses and just wants to hide then you may want to try this - I force them to sit with me when they are terrified (I know that sounds weird but hear me out). I pick them up and sit down so they are low to the ground (lower than they would be if I were standing) and just sit there with them securely and snug in my arms. I talk to them gently and pet them. When they begin to relax I soften my arms so they can freely walk away. Some take more time than others. I just brought a pregnant foster home the other day and she was absolutely terrified and would hide under my blankets and crawl away as fast as she could when I tried to get her. I finally took ahold of her scruff and pulled her into my lap and held her there (in order for this to work the cat can't be aggressive). She calmed down after a little bit and when she was able to walk away she chose to stay by me. The goal is to earn their trust and bond with them. It isn't always that easy though. I had one kitten who took a pretty good amount of time and patience. Toys ended up being the key with him. Hope this helps! If you have any questions about it I'm happy to answer them!

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And of course I just read that she was rubbing her head on you and playing which is great! The hiding behavior will disappear with time

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While keeping her in a separate room is great, she should also interact with you in there. Just getting use to the place doesn't mean she'll get use to you. Just go in and sit and talk to her. Use toys to try and encourage her to play. If she refuses and just wants to hide then you may want to try this - I force them to sit with me when they are terrified (I know that sounds weird but hear me out). I pick them up and sit down so they are low to the ground (lower than they would be if I were standing) and just sit there with them securely and snug in my arms. I talk to them gently and pet them. When they begin to relax I soften my arms so they can freely walk away. Some take more time than others. I just brought a pregnant foster home the other day and she was absolutely terrified and would hide under my blankets and crawl away as fast as she could when I tried to get her. I finally took ahold of her scruff and pulled her into my lap and held her there (in order for this to work the cat can't be aggressive). She calmed down after a little bit and when she was able to walk away she chose to stay by me. The goal is to earn their trust and bond with them. It isn't always that easy though. I had one kitten who took a pretty good amount of time and patience. Toys ended up being the key with him. Hope this helps! If you have any questions about it I'm happy to answer them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meekzmilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been going in there throughout the day and been playing with her. I wouldn't not go in there at all that's like cruel punishment to leave her in there all day with no interaction with me being home, tomorrow it will be a different story since I'll be at work

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how big your box is. Cats do share a box, but they need plenty of room, and you have to clean it every day. As they leave the safe room and take over your house, you might end up getting two for convenience. Having two cats just means you get double kisses!

with 2 cats will I still they still want to cuddle or play with me? I wanted a cat for the company since I live alone and just wanted someone or something to come home to. Will they even be fased by me or just them because they have each other?

also if I don't have enough room for a liter box will I have to buy two? 
I have 3 boxes for 2 cats (yours, mine, and ours) meaning one is shared

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and despite him trying to be friends, she wants nothing to do with him. Both were feral, he came two years after her, he was a kitten she was not. So she spends her days in garage sleeping to avoid him. She sleeps with me at night and he sleeps in his own room with door shut at night. He gets the house during day and she gets it at night. So 2 cats do not always want to bond, maybe 2 kittens are different. He found companionship with my two little old dogs, he even eats with them. They eat Weruva paw lickin chicken, so their food looks good to him. It is so cute to watch the 3 of them all lined up!

Last edited:

amyjess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I had the same problem with my little Walter when I got him. The shelter warned me he was a timid cat and timid he was! But the shelter advised us to keep him in 1 room for the first week with all his toys, food, litter tray etc. then let him into the rest of the house.

I know how you feel as it upset me that he was afraid of me and would run behind the TV every time I opened the door to the room. But I don't really know what he's been through in the past.

Anyway that was 2 months ago now and he's like a completely different cat however he is still not 100% confident around us. Just persevere and let her come out of her shell. As tempting as it is try not to force her eg taking her out of hiding. Walter hid 24/7 when we first got him but I knew he'd come out as his food would disappear. Now he gets under my feet all the time so have faith!

I know it's tough and upsetting at times but just take a deep breath and leave them to it.

Amy x

meekzmilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and despite him trying to be friends, she wants nothing to do with him. Both were feral, he came two years after her, he was a kitten she was not. So she spends her days in garage sleeping to avoid him. She sleeps with me at night and he sleeps in his own room with door shut at night. He gets the house during day and she gets it at night. So 2 cats do not always want to bond, maybe 2 kittens are different. He found companionship with my two little old dogs, he even eats with them. They eat Weruva paw lickin chicken, so their food looks good to him. It is so cute to watch the 3 of them all lined up!
Yeah that is true but with scarlett being her sister and then being and playing together for 3 months I think they would get along. I just have to hurry up and make a decision so that they don't forget each other.

Can a house be to small for 2 kittens?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
For 2 kittens that are litter mates and get along so well, I really don't think the size of the house matters. You can always add vertical space (cat trees, shelving, etc...) In fact, regardless if there is just 1 cat in the house or a dozen, vertical space is always a good idea.

meekzmilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Think I made a mistake!

I came home from work and went right into the room with Stella, she came right out to me and started playin, after about 30 mins later I got up to leave the room and she started following me so I left the door open and let her decide if she wanted to come out or not, she came out and we played for a little while longer and then she went back under the table she was under before I put her back in the room. I took her out a couple times and she went back in.

I'm lost, what do I do? And I told the lady that I would take her sister and now I'm freaking out about it, idk if I can handle 2 and I'm scared.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'd pick Stella up and put her back in her safe room. When will you be getting Scarlett? I think I would leave both girls in their safe room for 5 full days after Scarlett comes.

You are making great progress with Stella, I think having access to the whole house (even a small apartment) is a bit overwhelming for her still. Lots of new smells and sights.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
You've only had this kitten a couple of days, right?  That's a very, very short amount of time for a kitten to get used to a new home.  Give it time.

meekzmilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd pick Stella up and put her back in her safe room. When will you be getting Scarlett? I think I would leave both girls in their safe room for 5 full days after Scarlett comes.

You are making great progress with Stella, I think having access to the whole house (even a small apartment) is a bit overwhelming for her still. Lots of new smells and sights.
She's going to bring her tomorrow when I get of work

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Expect to have moments of one step forward and another backward. It's okay. When she gets scared, just take her back to safety and let her cool down. I don't want to pressure you to get two, but it would definitely help her anxiety.

meekzmilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Expect to have moments of one step forward and another backward. It's okay. When she gets scared, just take her back to safety and let her cool down. I don't want to pressure you to get two, but it would definitely help her anxiety.
I want her to feel as comfortable as possible. I originally was going to get the 2 in the beginning and was very excited about it then for some reason got nervous and idk what I'm even nervous about lol

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are making great progress! She is coming out of her own accord, but she will naturally want to be sure that her her 'safe' place is still there in case anything scares her.She does not yet know what to expect of her new home, but she is beginning to see it could be fun.