Here's a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To stay on the Dean's List on the first semester back to college.

And to go on more evening walks with my hubby once the rain stops.

traditions? Mike and I have a nice dinner usually corned beef and cabbage, and then we snuggle on the couch and discuss the ups and downs of the year, and what we hope to achieve in the next one. No wild parties, or fireworks, half the time we crash before midnight, but it is just our time to be together

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Year resolutions-

1-Lose weight
2-Become financially secured
3-finish my education
4-become a better person

I don't have any traditions but watch tv.

Question: What was your favorite activity in high school?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The H.O.P.E. group. (help oppressed people everywhere) We volunteered at shelters, collected things for the homeless, demonstrated at peace marches etc

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I was on the yearbook staff. It's getting to where it's too long ago to remember (he he). I also was on the bowling team. We had a blast doing that.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
History and Sociology

Who do you think Man of the Year is going to be, that will show on Time's cover soon?

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think maybe Bush will be man of the year, just because the way he is handling everything since Sept. 11th. And, I think he deserves it!

Q. If you get a Christmas gift that you don't like, what have you said to the person, and what did you do with it?

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Tigger..I think Bush deserves that spot. He's handled the whole thing rather well IMO, and deserves the honor of being named Man of the Year.

Just to answer Tiggers question too..I never ever tell someone I don't like the gift they got me. I feel that if someone loves me enough to give me something I owe it to them to appreciate and cherish it. To return a Christmas gift (other than to exchange it for a different size) is unthinkable to me.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man of the Year for Time magazine? If I was choosing, it would be easy: The Honorable Rudolph William Giuliani, Mayor of the City of New York. He was there, on the ground, during the tragic events of 11 September 2001. Of course, during a time of national emergency one ought to support the President of the United States of America; but Giuliani, whose political philosophy I'd always found distasteful, rose to the occasion and was an inspiration to millions of people (myself included).

=^..^=

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joe, don't count this as a response, but I second the vote for Rudy Giuliani

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd now have to say Rudy & George -- both are great men..... I will be sad to see Rudy leave office.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where is your question for the group?
My dad always like to say "as you get older there are two things you lose, one is your memory and.........I can't remember the other thing!"

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I screwed this up by saying not to count my response, so I'll (gulp) post the next question. (I really hate this part. I can never think of good ones).

Q: (sitting staring blankly at screen)

Ok, what was the best part about Christmas morning that you remember from childhood?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was the magical part, the believing in Santa part when we would come downstairs and see dolls, and doll houses under the tree, all unwrapped and waiting. I remember one year, my poor father struggled to like 2:00 a.m. putting together Jellystone Park and leaving all the critters out for my sisters and I to discover. I learned many years later that he was the official "I can put this thing together and NOT look at directions" Christmas elf! But that was the best part, embracing the magic that a fat man in a red suit could actually visit each house on Christmas and leave such wonderful gifts.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best memory of Christmas morning as a child is a tradition that continues to this day (it now includes my husband and kids of course)After opening our gifts, We all sit down to a traditional breakfast of lobster mixed with scrambled eggs (a true Maritime treat
) and then we go visit my Grandmother (my only surviving grandparent) and watch her open her gifts. Christmas is such a family oriented time for me, one of the few times we all forget our differences and have a good time together.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
openning our stocking (by far the best part of Christmas) followed by Christmas mass & singing in the Church choir.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday, 23 December, 2001, 14:20 GMT

Giuliani wins ‘Timeâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] accolade

Mr. Giuliani did not "shrink from the pain."

The influential news magazine Time has named New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani as its Person of the Year. The editors said they had agreed on Mr. Giuliani because of his handling of the aftermath of terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

----------

“When I said the spirit of the city [New York] would be stronger, I didn't know that. I just hoped it.†— Rudolph Giuliani

----------

Competing for the honour was the man the U.S. holds responsible for the 11 September attacks — Osama Bin Laden — and world leaders including last year's winner, U.S. President George Bush.

Mr. Giuliani said he was humbled by the honour.

The editors of Time said they chose the mayor "for having more faith in us than we had in ourselves, for being brave when required and rude where appropriate and tender without being trite, for not sleeping and not quitting and not shrinking from the pain all around him."

Time staff spent hours debating whether to give the title to Bin Laden, managing editor Jim Kelly said; and the magazine had been widely expected to name him.

The accolade is meant for the person who has had the biggest influence on the news, whether good or bad; and previous winners include Hitler and Stalin.

Rudy Giuliani says he is ‘humbled‘

But the editors decided Bin Laden was "too small a man to get the credit for all that has happened in America in the autumn of 2001".

Mr. Giuliani's communications director, Sunny Mindel, said: "The mayor is very humbled and feels this honour is really being given to the people of the city of New York for their courage and bravery during the most horrific attack on the United States."

Within hours of the attacks Mr. Giuliani was at the scene, helping to co-ordinate the emergency response.

He told New Yorkers: "We're going to rebuild, and we're going to be stronger than we were before. . . . I want the people of New York to be an example to the rest of the country and the rest of the world that terrorism can't stop us."

Osama Bin Laden: ‘Too small a manâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] for the honour

Time's online announcement of the award includes an audio account of 11 September, as told by Mr. Giuliani and his aides.

Asked how much of his visible confidence had been a bluff, the mayor responded: "Some.â€

He added: "Look, in a crisis you have to be optimistic. When I said the spirit of the city would be stronger, I didn't know that. I just hoped it. There are parts of you that say, 'Maybe we're not going to get through this.' You don't listen to them."

Before the attacks, the mayor's popularity was reaching an all-time low, with U.S. newspapers full of details about his divorce and accounts of his angry public outbursts.

But his conduct earned him high praise from New Yorkers and national politicians.

Barred from running for a third term, Mr Giuliani leaves office on 31 December when his successor, Michael Bloomberg, is to be sworn in.

— 30 —

=^..^=

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Rudy got it.

We heard them interviewed about bin Laden. They said he didn't vanquish a continent or come up with a new idea that changed people's lives, he was just an angry man with a lot of money. That really reduces him in importance, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.