Here's a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Archeaologist or Lawyer - sooooooo interesting, but too long at school for me!! (lazy arse)

Question: If you could LEARN anything new at all in the world....what would it be? (Ie Language, instrument etc etc)

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to learn to swing dance. I would probably end up killing my partner as I am on the plus size!

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm torn.

I'd like to learn to dance, though I have no rhythm at all, and I'd like to learn to play piano.

Now if only I could learn to dance WHILE playing piano . . .

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Response #4

I would love to learn how to play the cello and the piano.

I also would love to learn how to speak spanish.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to learn to dance in Mexican folkoric events. I love their costumes. I tried it once and it is hard. I also would like to learn how to sing and sing with a mariachi group.

Question: If you could act in a movie, which one would you be in and why?

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to be (Angelina Jolie as)Lara Croft in Tomb Raider. It would be great not only to look like that, but to be able to pull off some of the stunts she does in the film.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Response #2 I would like to be Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing, just one dance with Patrick Swayze and I would have a permanent smile on my face.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would be Danny Kaye in "Court Jester". It is my all time fav movie & I would love to do the physical comedy like that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
this is a tough one!

I really liked your answer Mel
Angelina Jolie looked incredible in that movie! She wasn't too buff (I don't like a lot of muscles, very manly IMO) but she was very fit and tone.

I would like to be Joan Allens character in 'the contender' because her character is so strong. I won't give away the ending but it always give me goosebumps and makes me tear up. What a powerful, powerful movie.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
. . . I'd like to be James Stewart in Frank Capra's film It's a Wonderful Life.

This being the fifth and last response to the above question, I now take the liberty of asking a new question.

What is your philosophical reaction when you encounter homeless people?

=^..^=

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't say I have a philosophical reaction, I have a heart reaction. The first thing I think is "There, but for the Grace of God go I." I remember hearing somewhere that most Americans are only 3 paychecks away from homelessness. I always want to do something for them, but sometimes, I just can't. I just do my best at the time, though I do steer clear of the people who roost on the off ramps of the freeways holding up signs. A few years ago, while in a parking lot for the better part of the afternoon, Mike and I saw this supposedly homeless person holding up a desperate sign, his wife and child were across the road on another off ramp looking equally pitiful. At the end of the evening, they gathered up their meager belongings and started walking across the street together. They passed us in the parking lot, not paying us any mind, and then jumped into an almost brand new motor home and drove away! Those are the ones, I do not help, but the people on the street, the true derelicts, I try to help if I can.

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Give to him that asks"

A Jewish friend of mine used to say that, it's probably from the Talmud.

I had a friend who used to try to assess whether the person was homeless or an addict / alcoholic, because she felt that giving money to addict was only encouraging him. She'd give him coffee or a sandwich or the directions to a shelter, but no money. I suppose in one way that was wise, but how can you assess a stranger's real need based on a 10-second encounter?

I prefer to give to known charities - I always give my daughter something to put in the Salvation Army bucket or the Red Cross can at the grocery - but I have definitely slipped some change or a buck to a panhandler when I had it, and just hoped for the best.

Added 12/19

I forgot this: Most big cities have a homeless paper, usually called something like Spare Change. It's written and published by homeless people on donated equipment, costs about $1. If I ever see someone selling it, I buy it. I figure, if someone is at least trying to earn some money rather than simply panhandling, I can support that. Plus if I stop and chat for a second, then other people are more likely to stop and see what's up.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is likely to be the unpopular opinion, but I often wonder. A friend of mine once rode with a trucker at his gas company on his route. The driver knew everyone of the "homeless" on his route, and the story behind each. Many were scam artists, collecting a nice chunk of change every day. I suppose I just have a suspicious nature. It comes from working in a school where 95% of the kids are on free and reduced lunch, yet their parents drive up in brand new Cadillacs, Mercedes, Lexus, you name it. Every kid has at least 2 pair of $100 Nikes and plenty of gold. Call me a pessimist.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are a lot of homeless in Toronto. I will give food and sometimes money. If I give food I know then that they at least have some food for the day. There is a homeless man who sits by my subway entrance. He has a sad looking dog. He always appreciates food and he shares with his dog. I give to hime at least once a week, depending on if I see him.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I am very lucky to be living in a town where there isn't one single homeless person. We are a very tight-knit comunity and when someone finds themselves in financial difficulty, theres a mulitude of people, either family or friends, who step in and help out. I have encountered panhandlers in Halifax (a city about 3 hours from me) and I tend to give money if they are doing something to earn it. I've seen people playing guitar or washing windows at traffic lights for money and I give my money to them.

Ok, new question- Do you have any special New years traditions? How about Resolutions?

amanda

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A new years tradition in my family is to have a late family lunch and talk about what we all did on new years (as we normally spend it not together) and we have a few drinks to get rid of our hang overs....
New Years resolutions....never made them because I never keep them, although each year I try at midnight to say I will quit smoking...it lasts all of 10 minutes LOL

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear I am keeping up with my diet and exercise routine. As soon as I need a size or so smaller, this will be a breeze!

As to traditions, sorry none. New Year's is another night where you anticipate a great time, and often it doesn't occur. This year I expect nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with you Deb, New Years Eve is always a let down. Maybe because expectations are so high. I did spend one new years in Korea, and that was kind of cool.

We don't have any traditions. All of them pretty much died with my mom

Status
Not open for further replies.